Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 10:36   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1 (2019)
Re: What Pink Fluid Tastes Sweet

I think this is relevant, but not certain. If you have a Beneteau 41.1 it is recent, so here goes.

I have a 2019 built 2019 Beneteau 46.1. When I got it pink fluid was still coming out some lavatories and showers. I was told it is a non-toxic sweet tasting fluid Beneteau uses to "test the plumbing". They leave it in for shipping and it probably acts as an anti-freeze for the initial shipment (whether from France via ship, or US west coast by truck).

I have had for two years a sweet smell near one Head. It is NOT a head leak. I suspect there was a leak during manufacturer testing, and it got into the hull liner. You cannot see it in any visible part of the bilge. I poured water all around the area, and into some of the liner spots where there are holes and let the bilge pump it out. I could not detect any pink, but months later some pink seeped into the bilge. So I need to get a probing camera into the inaccessible parts of the hull liner to find it, and clear it out. The dealer has been no help, probably has never run into this, and No I am Not sure yet. It is less noticeable in winter than summer.

So bottom line is is could be that testing fluid (antifreeze), that leaked when the boat was built, and has dried out thickening it.

If you find any good cleaners to dissolve it (other than water) let me know please.
MarkI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:15   #32

I have some pink holding tank treatment that smells sweet. Would you like me to send a "tasting sample" to see if that's what you have?
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:49   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Why would you add that stuff to water tanks instead of just draining the tanks, lines, and pumps? Honest question.

When we winterize the travel trailer, the antifreeze is only added to pea traps and the water lines in case there are any low spots. Tanks are emptied.
If you have a bottom drain for the fresh water tank, I agree that it makes sense not to put antifreeze in the tank. Most RVs have such a drain.

A lot of boats, the fresh water tank is burried in the hull and is difficult to access. The fresh water pump won't drain it completely. So if you want to protect the tank, you have to add antifreeze. Having a bottom drain or an access port so you can get the dregs with a shop vac is a preferable feature.

PS: I keep picturing a few teens sitting around the hatch to the engines and one saying, "Hold my beer. I'll tell you what that fluid is."
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 19:18   #34

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Oh I had water in a formerly dry bilge. Couldn’t figure it out. Was not clear but not black or pink. Taste was neutral.
Tracked it down to a slowly leaking holding tank bladder.
The worst is how long diesel takes to fade away.
Taste with care. [emoji1]
Smelling is a better idea. Won’t pick up salt vs fresh though.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote