Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2020, 16:56   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
What is this tank fitting?

Can anyone identify this fitting/gauge in the bottom right? It looks like some sort of sight glass or something. It is on all of my water tanks and 2 of them are leaking so I would like to figure out what they are/who makes them so I can get replacement gaskets. Better yet would be to find a tank level sender that fits this kind of hole pattern. 6 screws and the diameter is 70 mm (2.75 inches). Google is failing me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201122_125608.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	227441  
SV_MysticHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 17:38   #2

Boat: Catalina 36
What is this tank fitting?

It’s a gas gauge/tank level indicator. The red pointer inside the dome goes from empty on one side to full on the other.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 17:51   #3

Re: What is this tank fitting?

Any idea who makes it? I figured that may be what it is but I can't find it online anywhere.
Old 22-11-2020, 18:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

It's easy enough to fix the leaking wthout the need to find the mfr... Make 'em yourself...Rubber gasket material is readily available from the big box hardware stores.

As for the gauge... Assuming your tanks are plastic or fiberglass, check out this one Scad Tank Monitors The senders attach to the outside of your tank. They're top rated by Practical Sailor.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 19:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
It's easy enough to fix the leaking wthout the need to find the mfr... Make 'em yourself...Rubber gasket material is readily available from the big box hardware stores.

As for the gauge... Assuming your tanks are plastic or fiberglass, check out this one Scad Tank Monitors The senders attach to the outside of your tank. They're top rated by Practical Sailor.

--Peggie

Thanks Peggie. Those look interesting and I'll probably grab a pair for my holding tanks. Unfortunately the water tanks are built in and I don't have access to the sides. I was hoping that, if I could identify that gauge in the picture, the manufacturer would have other options with the same bolt pattern. Would be too easy I suppose.
Old 23-11-2020, 09:06   #6

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

Peggy's right (of course) they are easy to make. Try it. You can use something like this to punch the small holes and a small razor knife to cut the rest.
https://www.amazon.com/Sized-Heavy-L...%2C185&sr=8-44
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 10:25   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_MysticHearts View Post
Thanks Peggie. Those look interesting and I'll probably grab a pair for my holding tanks. Unfortunately the water tanks are built in and I don't have access to the sides. I was hoping that, if I could identify that gauge in the picture, the manufacturer would have other options with the same bolt pattern. Would be too easy I suppose.
Those gauges are fixed down with a 6-bolt pattern, and unfortunately the industry standard is the SAE 5-hole pattern. You may be able to find adapters, but it may be easier to fill the old holes with epoxy (looks like a fiberglass tank), then drill new holes that mate with your new sensors.

As you correctly pointed out, without access to the side of the tank those SCAD monitors won't be a good choice. I have replaced all my fuel tank sensors with Maretron TLM-100's (full disclosure, I work for Maretron), and find them to be very simple and reliable. Of course, if you don't already have a NMEA 2000 network on your boat, then they would not work for you.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 11:51   #8

Boat: Phantom 32

My water tanks are difficult to get to. I installed an in line meter which sits in the exit line from the tanks and measures liquid flow. It has an attractive, remote LCD display showing remaining tankage.
These are commonly used on off road vehicles. Relatively in expensive
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 12:58   #9

Boat: Catalina 36

Why not polish the domes on the existing gauge??
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 13:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Those gauges are fixed down with a 6-bolt pattern, and unfortunately the industry standard is the SAE 5-hole pattern. You may be able to find adapters, but it may be easier to fill the old holes with epoxy (looks like a fiberglass tank), then drill new holes that mate with your new sensors.

As you correctly pointed out, without access to the side of the tank those SCAD monitors won't be a good choice. I have replaced all my fuel tank sensors with Maretron TLM-100's (full disclosure, I work for Maretron), and find them to be very simple and reliable. Of course, if you don't already have a NMEA 2000 network on your boat, then they would not work for you.

Regards,
David
I was actually looking to use the TLM-100 senors when I went to investigate what ports were already available on the tank. Since I have to remove these to fix the leak I'll probably look into making an adapter plate for the SAE 5 hole pattern so as to not have to drill new holes in the tanks.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono as 2234 View Post
My water tanks are difficult to get to. I installed an in line meter which sits in the exit line from the tanks and measures liquid flow. It has an attractive, remote LCD display showing remaining tankage.
These are commonly used on off road vehicles. Relatively in expensive
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered that option. I'll check it out.
Old 23-11-2020, 13:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat36Mahalo View Post
Why not polish the domes on the existing gauge??
I have two tanks under the floor boards, one under the mattress in the forward cabin and one under the floor in a storage locker that is always full of gear. Accessing them whenever I want to check tank levels just isn't feasible. We are living aboard so the water system is in heavy use.
Old 24-11-2020, 07:47   #13

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Any auto parts store should have a gasket package containing an assortment of gasket materials. A good hardware store will have in its plumbing dept red rubber squares (about 5" square). Any roofing contractor that installs EPDM roofing will have free scraps. Any truck tire store will have dead HD inner tubes for free. I find that hand held hole punch invaluable on board & have even made servicable O rings with it.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote