Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 15:33   #211

Re: What is the carbon footprint for the US MSD program?

I'm really confused. So if we make it easier to comply, fewer people will comply?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 16:10   #212
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Has anyone actually read the description of what is acceptable for sewage discharge at three miles away from land ? I hqve and I have been responsible for the proper disposal at sea of the waste of 5k people on a single ship.
Now the United States has not signed the marpol regulations however we do generally follow them.
Old 30-07-2017, 16:14   #213
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Annex IV - Regulation 11 - Discharge of sewage

1 Subject to the provisions of regulation 3 of this Annex, the discharge of sewage into the sea is prohibited, except when:

* .1 the ship is discharging comminuted and disinfected sewage using a system approved by the Administration in accordance with regulation 9.1.2 of this Annex at a distance of more than 3 nautical miles from the nearest land, or sewage which is not comminuted or disinfected at a distance of more than 12 nautical miles from the nearest land, provided that, in any case, the sewage that has been stored in holding tanks shall not be discharged instantaneously but at a moderate rate when the ship is en route and proceeding at not less than 4 knots; the rate of discharge shall be approved by the Administration based upon standards developed by the Organization;
Old 26-08-2017, 17:30   #214

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Fast Bottoms, In my experience it is rare that someone asking a question about protecting the environment concludes with "so vote yes on raw sewage discharge".

My point is that doesn't look like the reg was fully thought out and it deserves that effort. If an EIS wasn't done up front then it should be done now to shore up the regulation.

Valhalla got at what I'm trying to say with "regulations in conflict". The trade offs need to be listed and compared. I suspect the overall policy remains pretty close to where it is now.

We probably need an environmental science PhD candidate's thesis to get a solid number on annual tons of carbon.

If we get that tonnage number then it is a fairly simple matter to set up a carbon offset starting with the FY2019 USCG operating budget--maybe on a schedule of pay "2 years for 1" until the MSD program becomes carbon neutral.

If the purpose of the regulation was to protect the environment then it should not harm the environment.
I'm inclined to agree with you Secondbase. I think the bureaucrats have done the lazy "one rule for all" and not thought through the consequences.
In waters with good dilution and circulation mascerate and over-board is best for the environment... Plankton(a carbon sink!) will consume the lovely fresh nutrients and feed the fishys:

This from the web;
"Benefits of Algal Blooms
Algal blooms provide large concentrations of algae that produce organic compounds needed by higher organisms, ranging from oysters, clams, and mussels to human beings. For this reason, productivity increases in areas where algal blooms occur. More algae in the water means that more carbon dioxide is used from the atmosphere and that more oxygen is released into the atmosphere. Oxygen is necessary for many living things, including humans. As noted previously, the production of dimethyl sulfide gas helps protect algae from harmful ultraviolet rays so they remain healthy and thus are able to continue the cycle of sustaining life on Earth.

Even in the coldest parts of the ocean, algae provide the primary source of organic material to animals at the bottom of the food chain. Organic materials are moved up the food chain as higher organisms feed on those lower down the chain. For example, algae have been found in Antarctic sea ice. As sea water freezes, algae living in the water are frozen in the ice, where they later can be released during a thaw. These algae are a vital source of food for krill, the shrimp-like organisms eaten by penguins, seals, seabirds, and whales.
Doretha B. Foushee"
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 21:12   #215

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Honestly, what is the likelihood of a swimmer crossing your stern 2.9 miles out? 2 miles out? 1 mile out? Or even 500 yards out?

The discharge doesn't remain where you discharged it forever; if macerated it breaks down and is rendered harmless (in fact beneficial) to the environment within minutes.
If anyone wanted to REALLY see what happens when poop goes overboard, they ought to see what happens underwater when the poop gets discharged.

Fish hanging around under the boat see their dinner being served.
It's pretty much gone within a minute.
If you're too squeamish to actually go see for yourself, just dump your cat's litterbox overboard when you're anchored and watch the results.

PS. We use our ElectroScan every time we flush.

http://raritaneng.com/raritan-produc...t/electroscan/

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote