Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 13:49   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Whale Galley Gusher Rebuild Kit

Good results?
They are only 20 or 30 bucks.
The pump costs about 100.

Good results with the rebuild kit?
If so, does it come with good instructions?
Is any lube needed to purchase for install?

Thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 14:05   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Whale Galley Gusher rebuild kit.

Haven't done a galley pump, bit did Whale bilge pump. Good instructions and easy to follow.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 14:07   #3

Funny enough...

My foot pump (whale, the kind with the lever) broke the other day and the new one has broken as well. In the first instance it was the spring that broke, which isn't included in the rebuild kit. As for the second unit breaking (within a couple of weeks) I don't know what it is yet. It still "works" although the action is really light and it doesn't push much water out.

I have another one that pumps saltwater. It probably gets more use (just from blasting crud off plates, etc) sits directly next to the freshwater one, and has never had a problem.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 14:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Funny enough...

My foot pump (whale, the kind with the lever) broke the other day and the new one has broken as well. In the first instance it was the spring that broke, which isn't included in the rebuild kit. As for the second unit breaking (within a couple of weeks) I don't know what it is yet. It still "works" although the action is really light and it doesn't push much water out.

I have another one that pumps saltwater. It probably gets more use (just from blasting crud off plates, etc) sits directly next to the freshwater one, and has never had a problem.

Hmmm.
Are you gunna try a third pump?
Old 12-04-2011, 21:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We rebuilt our Whale manual bilge pump right after we got the boat. Piece of cake.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Hmmm.
Are you gunna try a third pump?
Well it still "works" so I'll probably just keep using it until it breaks and then replace. I'd think it's something in the setup I'm doing wrong that's causing the problem, but with the other one still going strong with 4 years of liveaboard/cruising use and pumping saltwater, seems like it would have broken too if this was my deal.

Compared to the problems that pressure systems have unscrewing a foot pump and swapping it out as West Marine isn't really too big of a challenge.

The next time we leave for a trip where it breaking mid way could really screw us up I'll probably buy two complete spares.
Old 13-04-2011, 12:44   #7

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Whale Galley Gusher Rebuild Kit

I partially rebuilt a Whale Gusher Galley, with the kit. Only replaced the punctured membrane.

Like bstreep says, it's a piece of cake. The lack of instructions in the kit isn't a problem. No lube was needed. I only needed regular tools: screwdrivers and wrenches. Putting the pump back into place in a locker was another business altogether...

Just be careful: screws are steel and the parts are plastic, and there is a powerful spring in the pump.

It is also possible to reassemble the pump backwards, but then, it doesn't work at all

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:47   #8

Thanks Ya'all.
Old 13-04-2011, 14:40   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Funny enough...

Failures in these pumps are quite rare. In some cases, they are caused by folks getting the pads on the peddle upside-down after they mount the pump which can allow one to over compress the peddle. If so, the nylon spring guide cylinder may be broken leading to the symptoms you describe. Been there, done that. Fortunately an easy fix.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 14:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Failures in these pumps are quite rare. In some cases, they are caused by folks getting the pads on the peddle upside-down after they mount the pump which can allow one to over compress the peddle. If so, the nylon spring guide cylinder may be broken leading to the symptoms you describe. Been there, done that. Fortunately an easy fix.

FWIW...
Great piece of info!
Old 15-04-2011, 15:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

FWIW...
I think that might be my issue. They're actually about 1" over the cabin sole, since that's the only platform I can mount on inside the cabinet that they sit on. Maybe I'll put a little piece of wood underneath them to keep them from getting smashed down so hard.
Old 15-04-2011, 18:31   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Beware I went into vast differences between years, make sure your kit is for your pump.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild