Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 13:17   #1

Boat: Najad 400
Weird Behaviour - Fresh Water System

When I turn the galley or bathroom faucet on a little water flows freely for around 10 seconds. It then diminished to a dribble for around a minute before the pump starts and water flows freely again. What's wrong?

The systems consists of a Jabsco Par Max 3 and an Elbi 5 ltr accumulator.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 14:04   #2

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer
Re: Weird Behaviour - Fresh Water System

Sounds like your accumulator may need pumping up.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 16:49   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Pressure switch on water pump has issues. Some are serviceable, some are not, what kind of pump?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:29   #4

I've checked the accumulator. It's at 18psi. So I think that's OK.

It's a Jabsco Par Max 3. There's a pricey replacement, but I think I can take it apart and try to clean it up.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:14   #5

Boat: Flicka

I know its a longshot but did you check strainer or faucet fixture screen for debris?
boatnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Todd View Post
I've checked the accumulator. It's at 18psi. So I think that's OK.

It's a Jabsco Par Max 3. There's a pricey replacement, but I think I can take it apart and try to clean it up.
Accumulator problems (and blocked strainers) present different symptoms and your pressure check verifies thats not it. Note: check accumulator bladder pressure when water pressure is released from system.

A downside to many of the fancy new pumps is that the pressure switches are not serviceable and have limited adjustment. You can try to get at as much of it as you can and clean it, but I suspect you will have limited success. The design intent is to force you to buy new one.

The pump head and motor are very durable and are unlikely the problem. How old is the pump? Worn parts on very old or poor condition heads/motors can stick and cause similar behavior, but thats way less common than a bad pressure switch.

The pressure switches are over priced for what they are, but not painfully expensive. I suggest you get 2...one for this repair and a spare...as the pressure switch will likely fail again.

https://m.go2marine.com/product/8128...-2-series.html
Old 03-02-2019, 04:13   #7

An alternative is to by-pass that damn switch and replace it with a good old fashioned pump switch. These are serviceable, highly adjustable, and available inexpensively in hardware stores world wide.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I...ob_neva_mobile
Old 03-02-2019, 04:55   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

The pressure switch on the Par max series is not repairable but it is replaceable and for a lot less money than a whole new pump.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:12   #9
cruiser

The more likely problem is that your faucet strainers or in-line filter/strainer is plugged up. When your system is at full pressure, it's providing enough to slowly push water through the clogged strainers or filter, then when pressure drops slightly, your flow becomes restricted. It's a simple fix, no cost repair. The likely problem is water tanks which need to be cleaned out that are causing tank scum to be pumped into the the inline filter/strainer.

The pressure switch on your pump isn't your problem. Your inline filter/strainer is located post pump before the water is distributed to the rest of your boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 18:46   #10

Thanks all. That give me a few things to try.

Clue: There are two faucets (bathroom and Galley). They both do the same. The Galley one has a Nature Pure filter system in line, but the canister has been bypassed.

Logic: I sounds like there's a restriction after that pump that lets pressure leak down slowly until the pressure switch sees enough reduction to turn the pump on. If the accumulator isn't working then the pump would kick in straight away.
Old 03-02-2019, 19:45   #11

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The more likely problem is that your faucet strainers or in-line filter/strainer is plugged up. When your system is at full pressure, it's providing enough to slowly push water through the clogged strainers or filter, then when pressure drops slightly, your flow becomes restricted. It's a simple fix, no cost repair. The likely problem is water tanks which need to be cleaned out that are causing tank scum to be pumped into the the inline filter/strainer.

The pressure switch on your pump isn't your problem. Your inline filter/strainer is located post pump before the water is distributed to the rest of your boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Todd View Post
Thanks all. That give me a few things to try.

Clue: There are two faucets (bathroom and Galley). They both do the same. The Galley one has a Nature Pure filter system in line, but the canister has been bypassed.

Logic: I sounds like there's a restriction after that pump that lets pressure leak down slowly until the pressure switch sees enough reduction to turn the pump on. If the accumulator isn't working then the pump would kick in straight away.
My water hoses have a tendency to kink and cause a restriction, if this is before the T to the galley and head then it could have the same issue as the clogged strainer but because of the kink.
Old 03-02-2019, 20:13   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

There is often a pin sized hole in the pressure pump switch. That pinhole may be clogged. If that is the case the pressure needs to leak down before the switch turns on. Clear the hole with a sewing needle.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water