Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 22:43   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Webasto DBW 2010 Hydronic Heater Problems

I am having a problem with my Webasto DBW 2010 Hyronic heater and wondering if anyone can provide an insight.

The heater runs for a while, I get warm air from all 4 fans. Then at some point the heater "cycles" and the on/off green light goes off for about 5-10 seconds without me doing anything. When the light goes off, all fans also go off. Then in about 5-10 seconds, the green light comes back on by itself (with no change in the switch status) and the fans start blowing warm air but heating unit doesn't run. This keeps going until fans start blowing cool air and this keep going on forever. The heater does never come back on until I power cycle it on and off.

This heater worked for more than a year flawlessly and then I had a problem and I called in service. After a week of troubleshooting, almost changing every part on it and several thousand dollars I ended up in this scenario. I will call the service again but I am getting frustrated with it. I came to the conclusion that I need to start learning and doing it myself so any hint you can offer will be appreciated.
Old 19-05-2022, 05:52   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II
Re: Webasto DBW 2010 Hydronic Heater Problems

I call Graham at Sure Marine in Seattle when ours has issues. I purchase nozzles from John Carillo RV as Sure has quality control problems with theirs.
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 09:55   #3

Boat: Endeavour 43

I installed the DBW2010 on my sailboat 20 years ago, it's a great heating system. Most likely the problem is with the control unit, particularly if it's the old metal box with relays in it. Sure Marine has researched the issue through the years and found an aftermarket control unit that solves the problems the old controller had. One quick thing to check though, when the unit fails to re-light...Voltage at the heater. It doesn't like low voltage. I purchased the Webasto unit from Sure Marine and their level of customer service is outstanding. Highly recommend you contact them, they will have the answer to your problem. 206-784-9903
sea1ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 10:27   #4
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea1ljs View Post
I installed the DBW2010 on my sailboat 20 years ago, it's a great heating system. Most likely the problem is with the control unit, particularly if it's the old metal box with relays in it. Sure Marine has researched the issue through the years and found an aftermarket control unit that solves the problems the old controller had. One quick thing to check though, when the unit fails to re-light...Voltage at the heater. It doesn't like low voltage. I purchased the Webasto unit from Sure Marine and their level of customer service is outstanding. Highly recommend you contact them, they will have the answer to your problem. 206-784-9903
Thanks. That control box just got replaced two weeks ago... I work with SureMarine too and called them. This has just been a very challenging experience with several weeks of issues with the heater.
Old 19-05-2022, 16:12   #5

Sounds like an overheat error which is usually caused by low boiler fluid level or too slow flow in the fluid circuit. Check that your header tank is full when cold. I usually run the system for a minute or two with the pressure cap off of the header tank to get rid of any air in the system.
rphdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 13:06   #6

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Hope you found the solution. Don't know if it is a controller problem but be aware of this:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...em-195992.html
Good luck,
Bruce
Old 19-11-2022, 19:31   #7
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you, it wasn't the controller. After testing out every component, I finally traced the problem to a faulty breaker!

Tags
heater