Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 15:52   #1

Webasto 3500 Forced Air Heater Info

Some guy put his boat on the rocks in Mexico and a salvage crew bought the rights, chainsawed it up and ripped out all the gear, and have been selling it at swap meets throughout socal.

I bought this (Webasto, I think 3500) for $10 and was wondering if there's anyway I can buy the surrounding materials to make it work. Not sure and was hoping some folks who've worked with these can chime in.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 15:54   #2

Re: webasto 3500 forced air heater info

was it submerged? They are good units. Do you have the electronic controller with the little diagnostic lights on it? Looks like that one came from Sure Marine Service in Seattle. They should have anythiing you need. They burn beautifully on kerosene.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 16:04   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Rebel, I fitted the smaller 2000 last year. Looks like you need the fuel pump and the micro plastic pipe, a filter is always good, some exhaust pipe and the heater pipes. Doesn't need an air intake pipe. There is also a steel L shaped plate for mounting it on. E Bay is probably your best bet for stuff.

Webasto Fuel Dosing Pump DP 30 2 with Damper 12 Volt 5001503A 5001368A | eBay

BTW they go for silly money at this time of year in the UK. Come summer you can't give them away.

Suggest you start by down loading the fitting instructions which will show what your missing.

http://www.suremarine.com/manuals/we...0st-repair.pdf

Good bits of kit for weekend sailing, not sure if they would stand up to live aboard though. I would choose solid fuel or diesel drip heaters for that, but this could get you though the winter until you are further south.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 16:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

If you need parts, Ebay is good for a few, or try a supplier who fit these units in trucks, rather than boats, good deal cheaper for the exact same parts.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 19:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Rebel, I fitted the smaller 2000 last year. Looks like you need the fuel pump and the micro plastic pipe, a filter is always good, some exhaust pipe and the heater pipes. Doesn't need an air intake pipe. There is also a steel L shaped plate for mounting it on. E Bay is probably your best bet for stuff.

Webasto Fuel Dosing Pump DP 30 2 with Damper 12 Volt 5001503A 5001368A | eBay

BTW they go for silly money at this time of year in the UK. Come summer you can't give them away.

Suggest you start by down loading the fitting instructions which will show what your missing.

http://www.suremarine.com/manuals/we...0st-repair.pdf

Good bits of kit for weekend sailing, not sure if they would stand up to live aboard though. I would choose solid fuel or diesel drip heaters for that, but this could get you though the winter until you are further south.

Pete
Thanks everyone else too.

Pete, I've got an existing drip unit and it's fairly idiot proof but underway (or in heavy winds) it tends to blow out and fill the cabin with diesel smoke which is extremely foul smelling and takes forever to dissipate.

Just curious, why is it that the multi thousand dollar forced air versions are for weekend sailing but the more elementary units like mine (with a homemade gravity tank) are better?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 13:58   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Webasto 3500 Forced Air Heater Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Thanks everyone else too.

Pete, I've got an existing drip unit and it's fairly idiot proof but underway (or in heavy winds) it tends to blow out and fill the cabin with diesel smoke which is extremely foul smelling and takes forever to dissipate.

Just curious, why is it that the multi thousand dollar forced air versions are for weekend sailing but the more elementary units like mine (with a homemade gravity tank) are better?
You will be fine. Used to dive from a 140T RN Fleet Tender that had a stove with a diesel tap that dripped on to a house brick. The tap regulated the drip hence the temperature of the stove, bullet proof we could fix it anywhere.

The webasto internals are good for 10 years, but live aboard and you could probably do a similar number hours in just one winter. Worth a go though.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bibury A103-02.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	49067  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:07   #7

We installed quite a few in Alaska day charter boats. All were kerosene tanked as the boats were gas powered. Very few problems... a lot less than the Espar units.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:54   #8

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
The majority of their customer base is the trucking industry. My guess if they didn't last long, the company wouldn't last long.

Sure Marine, who makes a marinized mod say that they don't like to be run at anything but high power or they will carbon up and need to be taken apart and serviced.

When I called Webasto to ask install questions years ago, they told me to call Sure Marine for marine installs.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48   #9

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We had the same unit on our lsat boat, a Catalina 36....

The heater works great and kept the boat nice and toastie in the San Francisco Bay winters and summers! :-)

Besides the aforementioned parts, you will also need a thermostat. Some one said you don't need an air inlet and they are wrong... Also you need an exhuast port.

Here some more information links:
Technical Support Website

http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_ma...ntory_2008.pdf

Webasto Spare Parts | JPC Direct

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote