Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 18:26   #1

Watermakers

Hello, we are looking to purchase a water maker and would like to get some opinions/feedback on what works. What's your favorite?
Thanks
Elisakp46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:22   #2

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Water makers

More information please. What type of boat? Power available? Water requirements? Etc

There are two schools of thought.
1. High volume high power requirements.
2 low volume low power requirements.

We have one of each installed on 2 separate boats.

On our smaller mono we chose option 1.
We installed a cruiseROwater system. It produces about 30 gallons an hour is modular and they have great customer support. In 2 hours we fill our main tank using this system and a Honda 2000i portable generator

On Our cat it is option 2. The cat has a much bigger battery bank and can produce 6-7 gallons an hour on just battery power with a little wind and solar keeping it going. This system is a spectra 150 and works great no complaints.

Installing either system requires some thought to make the installation easy to use and maintain. You will need a dedicated through hull.

Hope this helps
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I would consider the Spectras as somewhere between your two classifications. More like high(ish) volume with low(ish) power.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

I have a Spectra Cape Horn Extreme and just love it! Very easy to use and my solar can easily keep up with it. The Cape Horn has two separate pumps that can either be run individually or at the same time. I track my throughput every time I make water so I will know right away if I have a problem. On one pump I get about 8 GPH and on 2 I get about 15 GPH. Another benefit of the 2 pumps is you have a backup already built into the system. Furthermore, I installed the system myself and saved a good $3000 or more. And truly, it wasn't that big of a deal.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:27   #5

I've got a katadyn 40e, it's pretty decent although it's obviously quite low in the output department. However it's also low in the amp draw compartment.

If you don't mind running your engine or a generator every now and again, get one of those. If you prefer to avoid that and use passive power generation, maybe consider a lower consumption / lower output model.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10   #6

How about some approx cost's of these units you are listing?
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
This may give you an idea, but keep in mind that prices are tied to how much fresh water they make per hour or day.

WaterMakers
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
I think mine was 4k. Not cheap, but after a year of hauling water around Mexico it was worth it.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

I think mine was about $6,000.. and worth every penny! It is one of those things that you definitely do NOT need for local cruising in the US but would not want to be without if cruising beyond local marinas.

One thing to note about the 2 *basic* options (110 volt vs. 12 volt) - if you have a generator installed on your boat and intend to run it at least every other day, then the 110 volt systems make sense. Otherwise, the 12 volt system will be MUCH more pleasurable to use. I struggled with the 2 options for some time.. sure, I have a Honda (well, in my case Yamaha) generator but do I really want to pull that noise maker out every time I need to make water? I haven't regretted once my decision to go with the Spectra. I just flip the switch when the sun comes out for my solar and make some water while I am recharging from overnight. This being said, the CruiseRO guy is a heck of a nice guy which made my decision just that much more difficult. But in the end I believe I made the right choice from an equipment point of view.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55   #10

I don't think it's like a jetski vs a RIB where there is one option that's clearly more practical for a sailboat to lug around; the 12v and 110v (or low output / high output, depending on your terminology) are both great.

But like you said, you really want something that matches up with your electrical profile. If you have lots of 110-120AC floating around in the boat for several (many) hours a week, rock the AC unit.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If you have lots of 110-120AC floating around in the boat for several (many) hours a week, rock the AC unit.
At 40 gallons per hour, it doesn't take too many hours of AC power to meet one's needs…

But AC power generation needs to be a part of your boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:08   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Who/where was that "cruiser for cruisers" watermaker shop that got the industrial standard parts for good prices?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

At 40 gallons per hour, it doesn't take too many hours of AC power to meet one's needs…

But AC power generation needs to be a part of your boat.

Mark
How many AC watts does something like that consume? We're spending three weeks crossing the Pacific and aside from the inverter we've got a Honda 2k.
Old 08-11-2013, 13:41   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Watermakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Who/where was that "cruiser for cruisers" watermaker shop that got the industrial standard parts for good prices?

WaterMakers
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:05   #15

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Watermakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
How many AC watts does something like that consume? We're spending three weeks crossing the Pacific and aside from the inverter we've got a Honda 2k.
The Cruise RO SeaMaker 20 and 30 gallon per hour water makers can operate from a Honda EU2000i generator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seamaker 20 or 30 gph.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	70060  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water