Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2021, 22:07   #1

Boat: Mason 44
Watermaker to fill multiple tanks

I'm in the early stages of research for adding a watermaker. I will likely go with a modular system, but in planning where to put the parts, I'm wondering how to actually get the product water into my tanks? My boat has five separate tanks - 2 on port, 3 on starboard. Has anyone with a similar setup installed a watermaker? If so, do you feed it to one tank only, or several tanks?
maclysaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 22:26   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Re: Watermaker to fill multiple tanks

We feed only one tank in our two tank system but the tanks are connected to each other. The external fill opening goes into one tank only as well and the connection insures that both tanks fill more or less equally.

One problem that we have encountered is that when we are on a single tack for several days, the water in the windward side tank slowly drains into the other tank. The foot pumps and the pressure pump only draw from one tank and rely on the connector hose to keep water levels similar in both tanks. But if the windward side tank is the one with the pump connections, we essentially run out of water until we change tacks, even though there is a lot of water left in the leeward side tank. So we tack to let the tanks equalize.

I plan to partially solve this problem by putting a valve on the connector hose. This would also be useful in the event of a leak in one of the tanks.

We installed a Spectra Ventura 150 water-maker and at least initially did two things that Spectra recommends not doing. We plumbed the intake using an an existing thru-hull and we plumbed the output line from the water-maker into a vent line on one of the tanks. Subsequently, we installed a separate thru hull for the intake but the water-maker product line is still plumbed into a vent. I will eventually install a dedicated fitting for the product line on one of the tanks.

We also learned the hard way that the intake thru hull needs to be as close to the boats' centerline as possible unless you only plan to make water while at anchor. Otherwise, the thru hull might be out of the water on some tacks. So we have to tack when making water too.
Old 19-05-2021, 04:07   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

We have two tanks. Independent valves allow the pressure water system to be fed off either one or both tanks. This also allows cross connection.
The foot pump system feed has individual valves allowing feed from one tank or the other or both.
The watermaker has a valve that diverts the flow into either tank, but not both.
Each tank is separately vented.
I do not use the cross connect capability.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 04:48   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Spectra watermakers have gotten consistent approval from users on the forum. We use a 160 GPD model. Aside from freedom to make it fit our layout, I have been impressed by its resistance to stuff growing in the filter - it has stood up to neglect on my part.

I think that if I had your situation, I would at least devise three directions for the water flow. First is a branch for testing and for removal of the first water through - the liter or so that has a hydrogen sulfide smell. Then I would split with a choice of port or starboard tanks. The hose involved is tiny - 1/8" or so. The pressure is low. Therefore, very ordinary plastic valves do the job just fine. It really comes down to the choices you want and the complexity you are willing to put up with.

Best wishes on setting up your system.
Old 19-05-2021, 05:08   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclysaght View Post
I'm in the early stages of research for adding a watermaker. I will likely go with a modular system, but in planning where to put the parts, I'm wondering how to actually get the product water into my tanks? My boat has five separate tanks - 2 on port, 3 on starboard. Has anyone with a similar setup installed a watermaker? If so, do you feed it to one tank only, or several tanks?
I ran my wm output to my tank manifold and tapped into each line with a valve to select each.
Old 19-05-2021, 05:10   #6

Boat: Tayana 47

If you plan to occasionally get water from outside sources I’d prefer to have only one or maybe two of your tanks connected to your Watermaker and never put water you get from a dock in these tanks. The reason is that you’ll always know that you can count on these tanks to be pure water, and you don’t want to risk pumping chlorinated water through your membrane during the backwash cycle.

Another consideration is the relative height of your 5 tanks. On my boat the big tank on centerline under the aft queen berth that my Watermaker is plumbed into is slightly higher than the 2 smaller tanks I put water from the dock in. So if I want to I can open the manifold valves and excess Watermaker water will flow into those 2 smaller tanks but not the other way around. I also think Marathon makes a good point regarding accessing your water while tacking so in your case it might be a good idea to choose one port and one starboard tank to designate as Watermaker product water only.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 05:41   #7
CLOD

why do people worry so much about very minor possible things?
Old 19-05-2021, 06:26   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

When we install any watermaker 95% of the time we run the product tube to underneath the galley sink area. Here we will install multiple shut off valves in line with the product line. One for each tank you desire to fill and one extra to have the sampling tube right at the galley sink. This way if you ever lose your tanks to going sour overnight (Happens a lot) you can get water directly from your watermaker to your galley sink for filling containers etc.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 07:59   #9
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
This way if you ever lose your tanks to going sour overnight (Happens a lot) you can get water directly from your watermaker to your galley sink for filling containers etc.
can't one just fill a container from the sample line?

never have had a water tank go "sour", let alone overnight
Old 19-05-2021, 08:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
This way if you ever lose your tanks to going sour overnight (Happens a lot)
What on earth are you putting in your tanks that make them "go sour overnight", "a lot"? This happens to well maintained water tanks not "a lot" but never.

Water does not "go sour" (whatever on earth that means...) unless it is contaminated with something "sour." If you are filling your tanks from a watermaker, your tanks will never go "sour" and certainly not "overnight."
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 08:38   #11

Boat: Hylas 54

My boat has three water tanks. There is a manifold with valves to select which tank to fill, buy only for the forward two tanks. I can't easily fill the aft tank from the watermaker. This is not a problem though, the forward two tanks are plenty, and it's better to run the watermaker frequently anyway.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 08:42   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
can't one just fill a container from the sample line?

never have had a water tank go "sour", let alone overnight
Yes, that's why I mentioned a sampling line as well next to the valves for each tank.
Old 19-05-2021, 09:02   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
What on earth are you putting in your tanks that make them "go sour overnight", "a lot"? This happens to well maintained water tanks not "a lot" but never.

Water does not "go sour" (whatever on earth that means...) unless it is contaminated with something "sour." If you are filling your tanks from a watermaker, your tanks will never go "sour" and certainly not "overnight."
"Sour" is am term I've always used for bio-fouling, and yes it can happen as quickly as overnight.

"If you are filling your tanks from a watermaker, your tanks will never go "sour" and certainly not "overnight."....,

Then you don't quite understand how it happens. In fact using RO only in your tank will hasten fouling faster than filling your tanks with good dock water. Dock water contains a certain amount chlorine to maintain the quality of water. RO water has none. Your fresh water tanks all have air vents. These air vents is where you get tank contamination from regardless of how careful you filter the incoming water. Depending on where your air vent terminates can mean a lot. Some terminate on the outside of the hull where it is exposed to outside air contaminants. Many are just terminated with a short hose vented into a locker, bilge, lazarett, etc. area that sees tons of mold and other growth issues. These fresh water tanks are constantly "Breathing" in and out through these air vents as water sloshes around as the boat is moving. All the effort to maintain a clean tank is great, but you just can't defeat the air vent. Just adding RO water to a tank means nothing. For the most part it's like putting good bourbon in a dirty glass.
Old 19-05-2021, 09:12   #14

I tee'd into a vent hose for water maker water product and it worked fine. I think the supply rate was low enough the tank could still vent. If any of your multiple tanks tie the vent hose together, it could be a simple solution. Of couirse an elegant solution would be a 5 valve manifold directing it where you want, but....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 10:47   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I tee'd into a vent hose for water maker water product and it worked fine. I think the supply rate was low enough the tank could still vent. If any of your multiple tanks tie the vent hose together, it could be a simple solution. Of couirse an elegant solution would be a 5 valve manifold directing it where you want, but....

Go with the elegant solution. Here's why. Water tends to follow the path of least resistance, meaning it will certainly fill one tank faster than the others. Once this tank is full it will still try to fill the tank but the excess water will go both to the other tanks and also over board through the full tanks air vent thus reducing the total capacity of the watermaker. The elegant solution allows you to fill any tank individually which you do want to be able to do. Plus this isolates the tanks and if one fails it's easy to take off line.
Also, "Teeing" into a vent line can work or it can not also work. Again going back to the motion of the water in the tank as the boat moves this cause a breathing effect on the vent line. Depending on where you install the Tee the product water can all go into the tank or some of the product water can be blown out of the vent as the watermaker is filling it.

Tags
tanks, water, watermaker