Originally Posted by sailorboy1
In the end a used Spectra VT-150 for $2750 was the winner!
So I used that Spectra for 1.5 years. These are my experience/thoughts on it:
- it rarely made rated output
- but it as pretty quiet
- I was OK running it while I was off boat, which was a good thing since it had to run a long time
- that Clark pump is very complex. In the time I had it I had to replace the piston lip seals
once, clean the check valves twice and replaced them all once. That cost me around $300, but a rebuild
kit is $700 that is just crazy $$$ for what it comes with.
- literature says it uses 17 watt/gal. My experience with it the energy worked out closer to 25 watt/gal
- I replaced the feed pump head
once and it was $200. That is a crazy high price
for what it is
- at $6200 new (or $4200 for a Schelker Zen 30 that I would get instead if buying
new) these are crazy expensive for what they are. And when they have a problem it is $$$$$ to fix.
So I sold
it and brought a Seawater Pro 40gph AC system, which is what I was thinking to do at the start if I didn't get a Zen 30. The reasons:
- at $3495 it is just less expensive and was only $745 more than what I spend for the used Spectra that took almost $500 for hoses and fitting etc. to install
- compared to the mystery of the energy recovery pumps, the booster and HP pump are simple
- for the cost of just a Spectra rebuild
kit I can have a brand new pump, but of course it can be rebuilt for much less
- it works out to 27 watts/gal, which is close to what the Spectra in real operation used. But even if the Spectra really would have made 17w/gal it only saved 9w/gal, which is only around 0.7 amps at 12.5V and close to meaningless far as real boat power.
- at 40 gph it will make a weeks worth of water for us in 1.25 hours
- if I decide to do something that needs a lot of water, like wash off the salt
, it isn't a big deal
- it will run easy off my Honda
, but if not my inverter
will do it and I could run engine/alternator, or just let solar catch the batteries
up later as it is about same power really