Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 16:09   #1

Arrow Watermaker Replacement Pump & Magnetic Clutch

Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement pump for my watermaker (its a belt powered watermaker, from the engine), Legacy HD Belt Drive pumps look about right to replace the current high pressure pump on the system.

Problem is though, it doesn't have any kind of clutch for it to be disabled (on the current pump, a magnetic clutch is used).

My question is: is the magnetic clutch part of the pump itself, or something that is installed on it (and they are purchased separately)?

Seeing as my current (broken) water pump already has a magnetic clutch, which is attached to the shaft, this could be removed and attached to the new one... is that correct?
chardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:15   #2

Boat: Endeavour 43
Re: Watermaker Replacement Pump & Magnetic Clutch

Yes, that is correct!
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:29   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

FYI those pumps are rebuildable.>>> http://www.catpumps.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 16:32   #4

Thanks guys...

Yeah, the pump is rebuildable, but has already been rebuilt twice in the last 6 months and broken again. I put the wrong oil in there previously and after that it's just given up, even after changing the oil to the right one. At this point it's just going to be both cheaper and easier to buy a new one, especially since the parts & seal kit for the current one is very difficult to get hold of. This is why I'm looking at the Legacy pump now, as it's a more common brand and will be easier to maintain.
Old 05-03-2012, 18:16   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Yeah once the crankcase goes it's a good idea to consider a new one. But not all 12V clutch assemblies are the same. The mountings can be different from one manufacturer to the next. Even Cat pumps have several different mountings for their pumps and are not interchangable. These clutchs can cost around $200. Unless your set on changing to a different manufacturers pump, matching your new pump with the old one might make the best financial sense. That way you know the clutch will bolt righ back in. Does Legacy make a SS manifold?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:00   #6

This seems to be getting more complicated...

The Legacy pump info is here:
Legacy HD Pumps
I'm looking at this model:
GD4020R.1

The manifold is brass.

The info is:
SKU, MODEL, GPM, PSI, HP, PUMP SPEED, BORE, STROKE, PRICE
SM-8.916-557.0, GD4020R.1, 4, 2000, 5, 1550, 18mm, 13.6mm, $322.70

The clutch I have is Ogura MA-6A.

How do I find out if they are compatible?
Old 05-03-2012, 22:50   #7

According to the clutch specs you show (Ogura MA-6A) it appears to take a tapered shaft >>http://www.highgateair.com.au/images...f/Clutches.pdf
I'd take your old clutch off to be sure. The pumps all show bores or straight shafts.

And the pump you show has a 24mm straight shaft.>> Legacy HD Pumps

Maybe you could contact them to see if you can get a metric drive clutch or choose a different manufacture.
What are your old pump #'s???
And a picture of your old stuff would be nice to confirm this is what you have.

Quote:
Seeing as my current (broken) water pump already has a magnetic clutch, which is attached to the shaft, this could be removed and attached to the new one... is that correct?
If all the new numbers are the same as the old pump and clutch, it should.
Old 05-03-2012, 23:45   #8

Thank you for your help!

It's just getting more and more complicated!

The old pump I have is one of the ST series, HC240, from:
Pompe ad alta pressione per la pulizia industriale | Hawk Pompe

I've attached a photo of the Hawk Pump (current) and the Legacy Pump (potential replacement). The shafts look to be similar to me. What should I look for here? (I have no experience in this area.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pumps.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	38345  
Old 06-03-2012, 15:48   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardis View Post
Thank you for your help!

It's just getting more and more complicated!

The old pump I have is one of the ST series, HC240, from:
Pompe ad alta pressione per la pulizia industriale | Hawk Pompe

I've attached a photo of the Hawk Pump (current) and the Legacy Pump (potential replacement). The shafts look to be similar to me. What should I look for here? (I have no experience in this area.)

The two shafts have to be identical diameter, depth, and keyed alike. My guess is that they are not. Also both of the four bolt patterns have to be exactly the same as well, again my guess is that they are not. Search for the specs on both and see if you can't find the measurements.

PS, If it were me I'd go with another Hawk. At the least you can get one with a SS manifold.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 17:23   #10

Alright, it probably would save a lot of trouble to get another Hawk, but the problem there is that I can't find anywhere online that sells them. Especially the same model: HC240.

Though there seems to be something weird going on between the brands Hawk and Hotsy. Possibly Hotsy is another name for the same pumps? Because it seems that they use all the same spare parts and when dealers are sometimes displaying Hawk pumps under Hotsy or Hotsy pumps under Hawk categories.

It might be that Hawk is the European brand and Hotsy the US brand for the same pump. But in that case, would they be identical, or is there going to be a difference in shaft size with the metric/imperial difference?
Old 06-03-2012, 18:35   #11

According to the spec sheet there are two different models of the HC240 w/2 different shaft sizes. Do you have the A or the I model?

There also a break down of the pump.>>> http://www.hawkpumps.com/uploads/ima...4cee23f2d9.pdf

Old 06-03-2012, 21:22   #12

Quote:
According to the spec sheet there are two different models of the HC240 w/2 different shaft sizes. Do you have the A or the I model?
Yes, that has been annoying me. I have no idea which version of the HC240 my pump is because it doesn't say either on the pump or on the manual, it just says HC240.

I'm now looking at CAT pumps with inbuilt clutch... that might solve the issue.
Old 07-03-2012, 00:49   #13

If you take the mag clutch off of yours the shaft size will tell you which one it is.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39   #14

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Clutches do fail in marine enviro so a new pump and clutch could be in order anyway.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02   #15

Thank you everyone for your help.

I've settled on a CAT pump with its own CAT magnetic clutch. The brass housing pump is less than half the price of the stainless housing pump, for the same pump. So it makes sense to go with the brass. Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

The link is:
AutowashOnline | The best prices for CAT 3CP1120

I have a question about the clutch, which I can't find answered anywhere else:
The clutch options is either single groove or double groove. The double groove clutch is cheaper, so I am inclined to go with that. Are the grooves going to be the same size, or does the dual groove clutch have smaller grooves? I'm assuming I could install the dual groove clutch but only put the belt on one of the grooves? Or have I misunderstood this completely?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I'm new to boating and don't have that much mechanic experience.

Tags
watermaker