Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 11:08   #61

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Watermaker Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Trail View Post
Funny how different people react to sound. For me, the clicking/cycling of the Clark pump is no problem. It's the boost pumps that are bugging me and I'm trying to find a quieter place to mount them!
+1 I don't even hear the Clark pump over the banshee wail of the Shurflo pump. Now, if I could quiet that down....
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 06:50   #62
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Let me know if you need any help with your Spectra.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 06:55   #63

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
+1 I don't even hear the Clark pump over the banshee wail of the Shurflo pump. Now, if I could quiet that down....
I had the motors serviced and replaced the heads of the Shurflow pump. Now almost silent

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 07:29   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have an AC high output watermaker, first the watermaker pump woud be noisy as the devil as it’s essentially a pressure washer, except most of its noise is masked by the generator, which of course is another competing noise source.

The noise doesn’t bother me at all. As it makes over 30 gallons an hour I don’t run it when I want peace and quiet, and hearing that sound is sort of actually comforting, I know I’m getting 30+ GPH of water from it, and charging batteries, making ice etc. and it doesn’t take long at 30+ GPH.

it’s only noise when it’s annoying or unwanted, It’s just sound otherwise.

I would not run it unattended, it’s unlikely I would run any unattended, it’s just my nature.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 07:38   #65

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Ok, I have just read this thread from beginning to end for the second time as work through final selection. Lots of great information, so thanks to all the contributors.

My question is for those with Spectra or Shenker DC powered watermakers. Watermaking with these units is already quiet compared to running a generator or the watermakers not using the Clark type pump. So for users of the Shenker or Spectra systems do you find in practice that you are taking actions to minimize watermaker run time to keep the boat quiet? Or does it become annoying if the watermaker runs for hours at a time?

I read about noisy feed pumps and knocking Clark pumps. So my question is what is the impact to onboard experience from watermaker noise.
Old 23-11-2020, 11:17   #66
CLOD

Boat: none

Well i wouldn't run my Spectra at night as the boost pump is right under the berth.
Old 23-11-2020, 11:54   #67

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

My watermaker is home-made so distinctly lacks a $1m R&D to reduce noise but like a64Pilot, mine is high(er) output at 95 litres an hour. With 1000 litres of storage, I don’t have to run it frequently so whenever I motor anywhere, the WM runs under the cover of the main engine and is thus not a problem.

But if I run it alone with the inverter/batteries power source it is pretty noisy both from the HO pump and the supply pump. As does a64Pilot, I never run the WM unattended - never really find my boat motoring along with nobody on board
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, water, watermaker