Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 05:22   #1

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Watermaker leaking freshwater

Hey all, need a little help please regarding my Dessalator D60 watermaker. It has started leaking freshwater from one end, and I cannot get far enough back there to figure out where the water is coming from, to order the correct spare. Any thoughts? I'm thinking end cap or seal (I assume there seals inside the end cap to replace)...

So, it is defo not saltwater, I tasted and tested it, 264ppm product water (great quality I might add). One drip to a few drips a second depending on the pressure, right from the bottom of the whole assembly. The freshwater out pipes are bone dry, the saltwater high pressure pipes are dry too. The water is coming out from somewhere else, so is there anything else besides the end caps cracked or the seals within? What's most likely to leak this much when the freshwater is unpressurized?

In the pics you can see a drop forming on the white connecting braces (but it doesn't drip from here much). The main drip is just off the bottom of the square black 'holder' of the whole thing, but doesn't appear to be coming from any hose. Any thoughts before I have to rip the thing off the engine room wall to get a better view? End cap and seals?

Thanks in advance!
Davi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_132326-01.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	212146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200405_152816-01.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	212147  

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Watermaker leaking freshwater

I hate chasing leaks.

OK. If you can get back there to take it apart, you can get back there to find the source. Clean and dry everything. Then hold a piece of dry paper towel against the suspected source. Where does the towel first get wet? Work your way up.

There's just the hint in your photographs that the water may be coming from higher up, then rusting the white brace.

Tags
water, watermaker