Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 04:51   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Watermaker In Fresh Water

So our boat is equipped with a watermaker. However, we took possession of her in Maryland, and are keeping her in Delaware until we are ready to take off cruising. (at least 18-24 months)

Any suggestions on how to keep her in good repair and working before we take off as we obviously won't run her on the Chesapeake...?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 05:51   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Watermaker In Fresh Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So our boat is equipped with a watermaker. However, we took possession of her in Maryland, and are keeping her in Delaware until we are ready to take off cruising. (at least 18-24 months)

Any suggestions on how to keep her in good repair and working before we take off as we obviously won't run her on the Chesapeake...?
Pickle it and if your really concerned 're pickle it after 12 months. I prefer propolyne glycol,, known as rv potable water systems antifreeze sold at Wal-Mart etc for a good price.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 12:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I run my watermaker in fresh water all winter and anytime I can poke into fresh water when cruising. When making water from salt water I make a extra 5 gallon bucket of fresh I can run thru the system at the finish. Leaving fresh water throughout the system allows a longer time between the need to use or pickle.
There are 2 types of cleaning, mineral and organic. I've never had to clean for minerals. For organics I use Sodium Hydroxide - lye - 1 cup/4 gallons of clean water with no chlorine and circulate for about 30 minutes.
For pickling I use sodium metabisulphite (for beer and wine production) 1/2 cup per 4 gallons of same clean water with no chlorine. Circulated for 30 minutes, drain and flush the pumps and hoses, cap the membranes.
You can buy the cleaning/pickling agents from Amazon, eBay and many watermaker sellers. CruiseRO is a good place for chemistery and replacement membranes and filters if they're standard. Maybe replacement pumps, too. www.cruiseROwater.com
Membrane output is calculated at 77°F. Colder water=less output. I'm in the PNW and rarely in water above 55°, so I made a heater to warm incoming water for better production.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 18:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You have two options, fresh water rinse every week, or pickle it.
It’s most likely pickled and most like done with the Sodium meta whatever.
If I were you, I’d fresh water flush the heck out of it and then let it make quite a bit of water, read the directions, but basically if your in brackish water you keep the pressure low enough so that your not making more water than it’s rated to make.
After I was sure everything was working good, I’d pickle it with the RV antifreeze, it’s much kinder on pump seals and last much longer.
Only downside to it that I know of is that it’s harder to carry a supply with you as it takes up more space than the sodium meta whatever.

Who makes your watermaker? Maybe give them a call and ask their advice?

I’d run it to find out if everything is as it should be so I’d know what if anything needs fixing while you have plenty of time.
I’d plan on having to replace the membranes, I’m not saying to do it for sure, but expect that two years from now you may have to. Just because you don’t know their history is why.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker