Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43   #1

Boat: 42' Trawler
Watermaker

I have a Village Marine Little Wonder watermaker. The membrane size is 2.5" x 38". Village Marine wants $536.00 for this membrane while a 2.5" x 40" is around $200.00. Anyone have any ideas on where i can get a membrane at a cheaper price?
terrygandh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48   #2

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Watermaker

For that kind of money you could get a standard size pressure vessel and the membrane for it . Might be an option, then if you need one again you won't have the same problem.

I think all of Village marine stuff is proprietary. Sorry I couldn't help.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55   #3

Any suggestions on the best place to get a new pressure vessel?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09   #4

Boat: Custom Ketch Asperida

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrygandh View Post
Any suggestions on the best place to get a new pressure vessel?
Try these places:
HCTI SEAWATER PRESSURE VESSELS
Pressure Vessels, Membrane Housings, FRP, SS, PVC Codeline WaterAnywhere Membrane Housings reverse osmosis systems, water filters, membranes, testers & components
I think they have pretty good prices.
T.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41   #5
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Double check the measurements. If your membrane is 40" overall, including the product tubes then you have a standard membrane and can source from anywhere. My Village Marine has a 20" membrane and takes standard replacements.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46   #6

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I have the same problem and had to buy from Village Marine. You might try wateranywhere.com to see if they have any to fit your watermaker.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:57   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Village Marines 38" membranes are propriatary. It would require a new membrane vessel and associated plumbing to convert to a 40" membrane. You'd need to buy one capable of the pressures a VMT can produce. Though it's hard to convince some, but you'll get what you pay for with membranes and membrane vessels.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 13:41   #8

Boat: Bristol 45.5

This is were I got my pair.

Just got a pair of 2.5x40 A&M Composites pressure vessels from.

Bob Pacific RO (619) 275-5000 http://www.PacificRO.com

Paid $310 US each. Bob was the best to deal with and I got them in a week all the way from California.
I highly recommend him for your pressure vessels.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 14:06   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Expensive things Watermakers. I have an old Livol D30 fitted in my boat and have no handbook and can find no information for this thing. Has anyone had any experience with this model. Its a lovely installation and I would love to bring it to life. Thanks Steve B
Emmalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 16:31   #10

Thanks for everyone's input. I believe i will investigate changing the pressure vessel.
Old 08-02-2012, 19:55   #11

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Village Marines 38" membranes are propriatary. It would require a new membrane vessel and associated plumbing to convert to a 40" membrane. You'd need to buy one capable of the pressures a VMT can produce. Though it's hard to convince some, but you'll get what you pay for with membranes and membrane vessels.

RIGHT ON TELLIE!

Wifey and I will be in Largo, FL near the end of this month. Her son lives in Ft. Lauderdale so we will be there also at some time. I really want to visit Sailorman down there. If I have a chance... and if you're available... it would be nice to stop and say hello.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 20:43   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
RIGHT ON TELLIE!

Wifey and I will be in Largo, FL near the end of this month. Her son lives in Ft. Lauderdale so we will be there also at some time. I really want to visit Sailorman down there. If I have a chance... and if you're available... it would be nice to stop and say hello.

Foggy

I'll be working the Miami show 15th through the 19th on the sailboat side. Any chance you'll be there then? I'll be in Washington State after the show for a few days then off to Panama and then the Abacos. I should be back by the very end of the month if there aren't any surprises. Sailormans a fun stop if you've never been there before, watch out for Dave he's a shrewd wheeler dealer but a nice guy. Also West Marines new store is now next door to Sailorman. I've yet to go in since it's opened last month but I hear it's worth stopping in to see it. If your going to the sail show let me know and I'll meet you at the front gate with some tickets for you and your wife.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01   #13

I have 3 of the Village Marine 38 inch housings available. For the same reasons discussed previously I decided to replace the 38 inch housings with one 40 inch standard size. The cost of a housing plus a standard Filmtec membrane was less than the cost of just a non-standard 38 inch membrane!!
Also, I thought my original VM RO set-up was oversized. Just one 40 inch Filmtec membrane put out about 20-25 gph during our Bahamas cruise, and was adequate for our needs. We ran the WM whenever we needed to charge the batteries (daily) while at anchor. It is better to run the unit more frequently to keep the membrane cleaner. So back to my earlier point, anybody who actually wants one or more 38 inch housings, they are yours for the cost of freight!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29   #14

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'll be working the Miami show 15th through the 19th on the sailboat side. Any chance you'll be there then? I'll be in Washington State after the show for a few days then off to Panama and then the Abacos. I should be back by the very end of the month if there aren't any surprises. Sailormans a fun stop if you've never been there before, watch out for Dave he's a shrewd wheeler dealer but a nice guy. Also West Marines new store is now next door to Sailorman. I've yet to go in since it's opened last month but I hear it's worth stopping in to see it. If your going to the sail show let me know and I'll meet you at the front gate with some tickets for you and your wife.
We leave Massachusetts on the 22nd. I have a lot to do in Largo so I expect it will be at least the end of the month before we get to Fort Lauderdale. I'll try sending you a PM around the first of the month to see if you're available.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker