Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 08:17   #76

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Watermaker

I'm also in the market for a WM and considering all the same points raised in the posts above. I've communicated with Tellie and Rich as well as some other local vendors. Seems CruiseRO and Spectra are the best of the best and it depends on which fits your needs and your systems best. For me, with a double ender, I don't have enough real estate for solar to completely meet my energy needs. I have around 460 amp hours of house bank and no room to expand battery capacity without major modifications. I already use my Honda for charging every couple of days. I think the AC CruiseRO system makes the most sense for me. I will be ordering mine as soon as I can free up the boat bucks to do it. By the way both Tellie and Rich have been extremely helpful. My thanks to them both.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 13:26   #77
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I'm also in the market for a WM and considering all the same points raised in the posts above. I've communicated with Tellie and Rich as well as some other local vendors. Seems CruiseRO and Spectra are the best of the best and it depends on which fits your needs and your systems best. For me, with a double ender, I don't have enough real estate for solar to completely meet my energy needs. I have around 460 amp hours of house bank and no room to expand battery capacity without major modifications. I already use my Honda for charging every couple of days. I think the AC CruiseRO system makes the most sense for me. I will be ordering mine as soon as I can free up the boat bucks to do it. By the way both Tellie and Rich have been extremely helpful. My thanks to them both.

S/V B'Shert

I know I speak for Rich as well that we are more happy to help. He is a good guy, I'm just the better looking of the two of us. Just look at that Avatar.

Just a note for any of you going to the Miami boat show next month. I will be raffling off a new Spectra Ventura150 Deluxe at the Saturday night party. Odds ain't too bad and you can buy all the tickets you want. Stop by the booth and say "Hi" and take a look, there's never any pressure, just good chat. I always have a couple of units running so you can hear how quiet they are. If you buy me a beer I'll take you over to Rich's booth and we can bug the bageebers out of him together.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 13:40   #78
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Right now I rooting for Seattle to get to the super bowl so the 10 day Seattle Show can be trimmed to 9 days and my feet and back can get a one day reprieve!

Miami....oh Miami....
Every year that I survive that show I count myself lucky. I'm just not a big city "Miami" type of guy so if you see me in the booth with a dazed look on my face, you will know why...ha ha ha. Or it's because I keep a supply of cold beer and Ice cream drumsticks in the CoolBlue demo refrigerator/Freezer unit in the booth...which always seem to vanish by the end of each day proportional to my daze and smile...

Tellie always has been better looking, but respect your elders, as I tell my son...ha ha ha.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:33   #79
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I certainly have seen Spectra users run it when not onboard. It is probably quite common. We used to run our Village Marine when not on board. I don't see any problem with it, so maybe I missed the point of your question?
Mark
This is one of my 'Golden Rules' to never leave any machinery that pumps water into or thru the boat, when no one is on board.
Gen, Air Cons, WM and FW pump. Just as I turn off the main breaker.

That is the primary reason why I favor HO Wm.
Also experiences anchoring in dirty harbours (like Denpesar Bali).. where I would have to leave for a short cruise to make fresh water.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 16:38   #80
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

Tellie always has been better looking, but respect your elders, as I tell my son...ha ha ha.

Actually, I like the sound of Sir Tellie.
Old 13-01-2015, 16:59   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Will an eu1000 run any of the ac watermakers?
Old 13-01-2015, 17:02   #82
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This is one of my 'Golden Rules' to never leave any machinery that pumps water into or thru the boat, when no one is on board.
Gen, Air Cons, WM and FW pump. Just as I turn off the main breaker.

That is the primary reason why I favor HO Wm.
Also experiences anchoring in dirty harbours (like Denpesar Bali).. where I would have to leave for a short cruise to make fresh water.

While I would never question a boat owners comfort level, so far the score is,

Unattended Watermakers = Many thousands

Boats sunk by unattended running watermakers = O

Our systems are left on all the time unattended. In fact we point to this benefit and ability to allow the boat owner more freedom from their boat because of it. These systems will auto flush themselves without the owner needing to be present. Also, if you set one of our systems to run for hours while you are away and in the unlikely event that it sprung a boat sinking leak the system would shut itself down within less than two minutes. I also, on many watermakers, install a dedicated stand alone on-demand fresh water pump that is activated by a relay only when the watermaker goes into a five minute auto flush. But hopefully and highly recommend is a bilge pump system that would easily handle any boat systems that could cause ingress of water, thru hulls, failed hose clamps, any below waterline plumbing, chiller pumps, below the waterline engine plumbing components, along with a leaking watermaker, etc.

Old 13-01-2015, 17:10   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Rich,

Check your PM's
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 17:15   #84
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Will an eu1000 run any of the ac watermakers?

Just to throw this out as running watermakers on inverters and small generators have been discussed. I've actually run our 24V 29gph watermaker on a little more than half of 1000Watts.

Using a 2000Watt inverter I have systems that can make 120gph on 1200Watts. But these do start to get pricey and not really practical on smaller budget minded cruisers.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Old 13-01-2015, 17:40   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
They have them already...
They do it by using an energy recovery pump and add a bit more than +$2K
But WHY....is there really a market for that? Follow me here....
In my internet studies thusfar I have Found only one company that has an energy recovery pump/hp pump that is in the 30+ gal/hour range, on the 650w theoretical range of power useage, and that is the Danfoss SWPE with the APP1.0 pump. I don't even have comfirmation that my calcs are right and that rig will do what I think.

Are there others? Echotech uses a large APP pump for one of their larger systems, and Spectra has their Pearson pump, again larger system.

Is anyone selling a commercially available system with a Danfoss SWPE pump system?

Our new to us boat (well, we have been living aboard her for over a year now) has a 4kw diesel genset. Our last boat had none, but wind, solar, 70g of tankage and the baby Spectra watermaker. We cruised her like that for two years, and it served us well.

With 175g of tankage and a genset on the Nic, I am leaning down the AC watermaker route.

Here is where my thinking about energy use. If we develop an energy plan that requires running the genset once a day, I would love to typically limit that to one hour. This would encompass making water, charging batteries, and prehaps heating water. With a 4kn genset, I would feel comfortable loading that up with maybe 3500 watts max. So roughly 1700w to charge batteries, leaving 1900. Then, 700w for the water, and
the rest for water heating.

So this scenario would require an efficient watermaker. Or, I could change out the water heater to have two heating loops, and plumb in our Espar heater. So many permutations.

My point I guess is that there MAY be a small market for an ac watermaker that is highly efficient, makes 30+ gallons/hr, and costs a premium to do so.

In full disclosure - I work for a yacht servicing company that is a Spectra, Sea Recovery and Echo Tech dealer.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 18:17   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Is anyone selling a commercially available system with a Danfoss SWPE pump system?
Not currently,
We tested one and were not impressed when we looked at everything in context, cost, performance, warranty longevity, etc. We are a small fry in the RO Biz and if we tested the pump and decided to not run with it, it makes me think that guys with entire R&D departments probably came to the same conclusion. Or everyone would be tripping all over themselves to launch with a pump using 1/2 the power than the competition. That's what got us to order and test one.....heck, I'm no dummy.

I think you should be budgeting 1500W for your hot water heater, I'm running my 1500W water heater now for showers tonight and at 750W, well it will just take too damn long to heat the tank.

You are right on in walking through the AC energy balance from your generator, but what I've found from a practical standpoint is that you don't (Ok strike that) I don't want to mess with running the generator every day to charge and make water, etc. I think it works out easier in the real world to look at how many times per week. For our crew of 4 that used on average 25Gal/day we would make water 3-4 times a week. This matched with our battery charging and stuck a good balance and it was more efficient to run less frequently but for a longer Duration each run. You still fresh water flush the same (1-3 gallons) so why not make 66Gals than 33Gals per run?
Old 13-01-2015, 18:27   #87
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Rich,

Check your PM's
Hey Amigo....I replied....so if it disappeared let me know and email me at Rich@cruiserowater.com

Thanks
Old 13-01-2015, 19:14   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

H ey rich tried pm but got errors when you are here in Seattle for the show if you get time dad and I would be happy to invite you to check out the install of that refer on the newby Spencer in Tacoma rob
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 21:34   #89
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
H ey rich tried pm but got errors when you are here in Seattle for the show if you get time dad and I would be happy to invite you to check out the install of that refer on the newby Spencer in Tacoma rob
Absolutely.
I will have three folks with me in the booth this year, so I will be able to sneak away to check out the install and grab a bite for lunch.

If you want some Seattle Show tickets....email me amigo and I will have them at Will Call for you and your pop!
Old 13-01-2015, 21:57   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Just to throw this out as running watermakers on inverters and small generators have been discussed. I've actually run our 24V 29gph watermaker on a little more than half of 1000Watts.

Using a 2000Watt inverter I have systems that can make 120gph on 1200Watts. But these do start to get pricey and not really practical on smaller budget minded cruisers.

What sort of prices are you looking at for your 24v 30gph system?
Beccara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker