Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 06:35   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Water tank gauge recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Can anyone with these sensors in their boat recommend them, or some better technology to a moving float arm and exposed potentiometer? I need two sensors, with a tank depth of 22". I think plastic would be a better choice for an in-tank sensor housing than adding another grade of stainless, for starters.

We have WEMA sensors and gauges. The newer sensors are stainless. We had the previous plastic versions but they had crapped out (so to speak) even before we bought the boat, and we replaced with their newer stainless versions. Our first replacement was in 2006 or 2007, holding tank, and the sensor has been working "fine" since them. "Quotes" because just now that sensor is starting to stick a bit, from time to time; a solid "thwack!" on the tank itself usually frees the float. (I may need to actually take the thing out and really clean it, perhaps not unexpected, considering the nature of the tank.) We didn't bother to replace the freshwater sensor until approx. 2012-ish, because we have an easy visual on the tanks themselves. In any case, that new sensor works fine, too.

Length will affect how soon the sensors start reading.

The WEMA gauges (displays) are not calibrate-able (?) so what they read (based on conversions from Ohms, resistance as the float moves) is what they read. Accurate, or not. (So it helps to know -- from visual comparison -- where the gauge needle will be at empty, half-full, full, etc.)

The CruzPro digital tank gauges seem to be a better alternative, these days... and they are said to work with all common sensors. I just replaced our engine water (coolant) temperature with CruzPro digital gauges, and the swap was seamless... so I'd expect that to be the case with tank gauges, too.

(No connection with CruzPro.)

-Chris
Old 17-05-2015, 07:54   #32

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

FYI, a simple way to measure how much water (Inches) is in your tanks. Easy install, and about $100.00. This is what I use on my boats water tanks.

Cistern Gauge Water Level Indicator
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 08:55   #33

I flew a plane for a while that had sight tubes for fuel level. They work perfect even when flying inverted.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:29   #34

Boat: Hunter 380 - 2000 - 38'

Just replaced my 15 year old WEMA sensors with the new S/S versions in my water and holding tank. They were inexpensive, simple to install and work very well. I do like the idea of a stick for the water tank, but not for the other one! On advice of WEMA, order a unit that only reaches 75% of the way into your tank. i.e.: A 16" sensor for a 20" deep tank.
Bacchanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 14:34   #35
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
I flew a plane for a while that had sight tubes for fuel level. They work perfect even when flying inverted.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tells you not only how much but where it's hiding. Ah, but what lies did it whisper when you were hanging on the prop?
Old 18-05-2015, 17:54   #36

Farm water tanks I see, have a vertical stick on top, sliding up and down with a float inside the tank. The farmer can see from a distance if the tank is full or empty. It might work in some boats if there is a way of releasing the stick for a reading and then locking it back down out of the way.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 04:53   #37
One of Those

A lot of good info and ideas here, thank you.

For our application, I think I am liking the sight glass approach. It fits in well with some re-plumbing I want to do adding valves between tanks, so that I can mix and match and isolate leaking tanks without taking the whole system off line. Lifting a floorboard to look at the tank ends is probably a good exercise to go through on a regular basis, anyhow. There are other things in these areas like thru-hull fittings and pumps and strainers and I can take it all in at a glance without any more trouble than bending over, grabbing a fitting, and lifting. None of this sounds like something I should be avoiding. Nothing to corrode, fall apart, or just fail inside the tank. And I can close up another hole in our everlasting dance with water management. And repair parts as close as the nearest hardware store.

This will free up some space on my helm, too. Two gauges and associated wiring can be removed from the boat. We are liking simple more and more these days.
Old 19-05-2015, 09:19   #38

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

It's only been a few months, but I'm very happy with my sight tube solution. The Ts, a couple feet of hose, and clamps cost less than $10 and I double clamped all connections.

I only wish I could do the same thing with my diesel tank. I use a wooden dipstick for that.

JimK
Old 19-05-2015, 09:27   #39
One of Those

I think it's going to fix another little aggravation for me, being able to tell when the tank is full from outside the boat, without overfilling it. I can look through an opening window from the fill fittings location on deck and see this tank end that will have the sight glass on it. I could never see the gauges at the helm from outside the boat.
Old 19-05-2015, 10:24   #40
One of Those

and it just occurred to me, I can do that for the diesel tanks too. I can get rid of my calibrated sticks. Thanks for the idea!

Tags
men, water