Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 12:18   #1

Water Requirements for Vacuflush

I am considering a change in my onboard manual head. I've been looking at Vacuflush system, and a Raritan Marine Elegance unit.

From what I can read, the manufacturer claims the Vacuflush requires very little water - about 1.5 pints - presumably for a liquids only flush. I've now read comments from the real world here on this forum that one must be sure to have "enough water" in the bowl to make it work smoothly.

So are you adding a half of a toilet bowl of water for solids? And then a wash cycle of another half bowl?

Is the 1.5 pints reasonable for liquids only? Do you add water as a wash cycle only?

I appreciate your experience with the system. My objective is to have a system that will help extend utilization of the holding tank - which is not real big, so minimal water usage is a focus for me.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is really an advantage of minimal water usage when comparing Vacuflush with Marine Elegance.
Aprilsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 12:26   #2

Re: Water Requirements for Vacuflush

I asked a very similar question on a this forum's sister site. Peggy Hall has some very convincing reasoning for moving towards the Raritan Marine Elegance.

I'm hesitant to copy/paste her words or redirect to an alternate site.

It is my understanding that the vacuflush require more water than advertised to function properly and the vacuflush have a lower overall reliability and a higher probability of malfunction.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 12:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilsailor View Post
I am considering a change in my onboard manual head. I've been looking at Vacuflush system, and a Raritan Marine Elegance unit.
I'm beginning to wonder if there is really an advantage of minimal water usage when comparing Vacuflush with Marine Elegance.

With the optional "Smart Flush" panel that offers four flush choices, there really isn't. I've written a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how it works (an amazing number of owners think they know, but don't) and how much water it really needs to keep it working trouble-free. It's a Word doc that I'll be glad to send to you (and anyone else who wants it) if you'll send me an email. To do that just click on my name at the left of this post and select email. If you don't see that selection, send me a PM that includes your email address...(no way to attach anything to a PM).

Btw...I know of two retailers who have the Marine Elegance for about $700 including the SmartFlush panel, which is a $150 option

Boatersland Marine Elegance Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 12:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

It's ok, Shrew...you can copy/paste my words here. As long as you do copy/paste and don't paraphrase 'em and accidentally turn 'em into something I didn't say!

--Peggie
Old 26-09-2019, 12:39   #5

Thank you all for quick response, that is so well informed.
Aprilsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:08   #6

Boat: Island Packet 420

I have 2 VacuFlush heads in my boat. Although you can flush with little water, it is still a good idea to flush at least a quart of water through the system once a day to keep everything working well. The toilet can sit in a small space with very little room behind it as the pump and the rest of the workings will have to take up room elsewhere.

Despite the fact that my heads are only fresh water flush, I recently had to clear out a big calcium blockage, which I thought can only happen if using salt water flush. So, more water through the system should eliminate that problem. Granted, it has only happened one time and the system is from around 2001, so 18 years to build up calcium is not bad.

I took a brief look at the Raritan system and it looks quite nice. My concern would be how much space is needed behind toilet for the pump machinery.

If I were to install new, I would take a careful look at the Raritan system, looks good. I have read that Dometic has a new, very quiet pump.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 13:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

I took a brief look at the Raritan system and it looks quite nice. My concern would be how much space is needed behind toilet for the pump machinery.

If you're looking at the Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf , none...all the "works" are inside the pedestal. If you're looking at the Raritan SeaEra Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet, the pump motor assembly can be on either side of the bowl or behind it. This will become clearer to you when you read the promo sheet for it.

--Peggie
Old 27-09-2019, 13:38   #8

Boat: Hunter, 420 Passage

Liveaboard, 2 Vac u flush systems, Works well, Once a year change duck valves, Ebay $25.00 Flush twice sometimes never do I add water. I put vinegar down once a month for calcium build-up. I like the systems!
Carver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 16:47   #9

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

My 17 year ownership of the Vacuflush head has me using more water to avoid / prevent problems.

For solid waste I like to fill the bowl w/ water prior to flushing.

For both solid and liquid waste I hold the manual flush lever until I can hear the audible sound of the waste hose being purged of water, w/ everything being either in the holding tank or at least in the vacuum generator.

My practice is to also periodically disassemble / clean / inspect / reassemble the vacuum generator. I also empty then scrub the interior of the holding tank and clean the level sensors at that time.

Never overfill the holding tank, or a new vent filter will be required.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 17:10   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have VacUflush. One gal greatly alter the water consumed by how you operate and how heavy your foot is.

I’m not thrilled with it, but it works. We put no paper through it, important! Paper is saved in a flip top tiny waste basket.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, water