Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 14:22   #1

Boat: Fleming 55
Water Maker Soft Start

We’ve got a 1200 gallon per day water maker with a 2hp high pressure pump. System works well for us since we use the generator infrequently and when we do, we can load it up with making water among other things. I’d like to be able to start the water maker on the inverter. It’s a 5kw Victron Quattro, 240v. The inverter can pick up the load once it has started and I can then shut down the generator and carry on making water with the batteries, alternators and solar.

Also hard to start the water maker when other loads are on the generator. Any suggestions or ideas out there?
Old 05-05-2021, 16:09   #2

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'
Re: Water Maker Soft Start

I inquired about the same when we were adding soft-starts for all our AirCons. I was told our Aquabase YK3 (~1000 GPD) would require a variable frequency drive. I didn't move forward as our new LFP system with 12Kw of inverting starts and runs the water maker.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 16:33   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

have you actually tried to start the w/m on the inverter or just believe it won't do it as per spex ?

i ask as we have started and run our w/m (80LPH echotec) on our inverter, even though the spex suggest it wouldn't do the start up

inverter is 4000w with 6000w surge capacity

of course once it's going it drains the batteries super fast, but it will start & run

cheers,
Old 05-05-2021, 19:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
have you actually tried to start the w/m on the inverter or just believe it won't do it as per spex ?

i ask as we have started and run our w/m (80LPH echotec) on our inverter, even though the spex suggest it wouldn't do the start up

inverter is 4000w with 6000w surge capacity

of course once it's going it drains the batteries super fast, but it will start & run

cheers,

Yes we’ve tried and it will not start. Lots of flickering. Then inverter shuts down
Old 05-05-2021, 19:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
I inquired about the same when we were adding soft-starts for all our AirCons. I was told our Aquabase YK3 (~1000 GPD) would require a variable frequency drive. I didn't move forward as our new LFP system with 12Kw of inverting starts and runs the water maker.

Hopefully that’s not the only answer.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:43   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I am 99% sure that a soft start would fix the "problem" for $200
Old 06-05-2021, 07:54   #7

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I am 99% sure that a soft start would fix the "problem" for $200
I hoped the same as they worked great on our 6 Aircon units. I was told by 2 sources (including the manufacturer) that our watermaker required the use of a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive.) Perhaps it is specific to our Aquabase and others might be fine with a soft start.

Here's an overview of the differences between the devices...https://realpars.com/vfd-vs-soft-sta...0that%20motor.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:19   #8

I can't speak for your water maker but in sewer pump stations i have designed a VFD can be used in place of a soft start. This allows the motor to start while drawing less power and then ramp up so there isn't a surge on start up.
Firemandivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:11   #9

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

Would this one work for $203?

https://www.wolfautomation.com/vfd-2...caAsX3EALw_wcB
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
I hoped the same as they worked great on our 6 Aircon units. I was told by 2 sources (including the manufacturer) that our watermaker required the use of a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive.) Perhaps it is specific to our Aquabase and others might be fine with a soft start.

Here's an overview of the differences between the devices...https://realpars.com/vfd-vs-soft-sta...0that%20motor.

Thanks for the link it was very helpful.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:48   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5555.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	237874

Thinking about using the 12 amp version of this Schneider Soft Start. Any thoughts or concerns?

Tags
water