Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 14:54   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Water maker screw up!

Last Thursday (the Fourth of July) I brought my boat into Jolly Harbour Antigua. In addition to stripping the sails and canvas, I did an oil change in the gen set and pickled the water maker. Friday morning we hauled the boat for storage on the hard for the summer. Friday afternoon I just happened to look at the trash and realized that the empty “pickling compound” container was not pickling compound at all but it was SC-2 Alkaline Cleaner! I called Spectra and they said to get the cleaning solution out of the system. I had enough water in the tanks and power in the batteries to accomplish three fresh water flushes before I had to leave to catch my plane home. I am trying the get a water maker guy located in Antigua over to the boat to complete the storage procedure but I am not certain what all needs to be done. Can the system just get pickled at this point and the membrane will be OK in November or are there additional steps that need to be accomplished before the water maker can be safely stored for the season? The unit was running great and didn’t need an alkaline cleaning. I didn’t even know I had that material on the boat, I must have bought it thinking it was pickling compound in error.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 16:58   #2

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Water maker screw up!

I would ask spectra about what you need to do . There must be someone in antiqua that could do it
Old 09-07-2019, 02:59   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Water maker screw up!

You don't need to fresh water flush it three times. Just let it run in manual mode for 20 minutes with the pressure relief valve open 3/4 to a full turn. Then give it one fresh water flush. That will clear all the SC-2 out. Then change your 5 and 20 Micron pre-filters and re-pickle with the SC-1 and your done. The service guy is going to need enough power to accomplish this though.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, water