Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 14:18   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Water heater current draw

I have an Atwood model EHM-6 water heater. It runs on shore power. When I switch it on, my AC amp meter goes to 15. Seems like a large draw. Can anyone confirm what this heater should draw? Can't find info on Atwood docs
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 14:22   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Water heater current draw

Why would you think that's high? Using electric to provide heat takes a lot. If it used less it would be cooler and slower.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 14:40   #3

Atwood specs a 15 amp switch. You're pushing the edge of the spec. FWIW sorry to say but I personally would consider it a possible fire hazard until you can prove otherwise from someone more experienced in this area.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2011.19.07.pdf
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 14:47   #4

from web site: 120 volt / 1400 watt incalloy heating element.

P (watts) = E (volts) x I (current)

Should draw approx 13 amps.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 14:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I have an Atwood model EHM-6 water heater. It runs on shore power. When I switch it on, my AC amp meter goes to 15. Seems like a large draw. Can anyone confirm what this heater should draw? Can't find info on Atwood docs
I just copied the below from a UK online brochure - equates to about 12A.

EHM6 - Electric water heater with heat exchanger - 1400 watt /120 VAC
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 14:54   #6

Ops, PaulinOz beat me to it
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
I just copied the below from a UK online brochure - equates to about 12A.

EHM6 - Electric water heater with heat exchanger - 1400 watt /120 VAC
Right.

“Each Atwood electric water heater is equipped with a high quality 120 volt/1400 watt Incaloy® heating element ...”
Marine Water Heaters - Atwood Mobile

1400W ÷ 120V = 11.66 Amps

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:26   #8

Boat: Alberg 35

My 2-cents...

First question to ask is whether the ammeter is accurate. I have a number of ammeters that give very different results for the same current. If the ammeter is accurate, then make sure there is not another load that is showing in addition to the water heater.
alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32   #9

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Atwood specs a 15 amp switch. You're pushing the edge of the spec. FWIW sorry to say but I personally would consider it a possible fire hazard ...
That's a bit rash. First, the typical panel-mounted AC ammeter is NOT ver accurate, especially at the low end of its range. Second, its reading the total current draw for the boat, which almost certainly inclludes loads that may not be apparent, like the battery charger, inverter, etc.

The way to properly assess the current draw of an individual load is with a good quality True RMS ammeter, clamped on to the conductor feeding only that load.

En electric water heater is a simple resistive load, it doesn't fluctuate in normal use, unlike inductive loads like fridges and A/C. As long as it's connected using properly sized wire and circuit breaker, even the failure mode is statistically very safe. Most of the time when the element fails it goes open, not even tripping the breaker, just stops heating.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:01   #10

Sounds about right. Converting electricity to heat is convenient, but inefficient.

Look at the water heater in your house for reference. (if your boat isn't also your house).
MB750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
That's a bit rash. First, the typical panel-mounted AC ammeter is NOT ver accurate, especially at the low end of its range. Second, its reading the total current draw for the boat, which almost certainly inclludes loads that may not be apparent, like the battery charger, inverter, etc.

The way to properly assess the current draw of an individual load is with a good quality True RMS ammeter, clamped on to the conductor feeding only that load.

En electric water heater is a simple resistive load, it doesn't fluctuate in normal use, unlike inductive loads like fridges and A/C. As long as it's connected using properly sized wire and circuit breaker, even the failure mode is statistically very safe. Most of the time when the element fails it goes open, not even tripping the breaker, just stops heating.

I defer to Brewgyver who has more knowledge on this topic.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 15:39   #12

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Not only is heating water with electricity convenient but is also efficient; nearly 100% efficient. A little bit of resistive loss in the wires feeding the beast. It might be costly or environmentally unsound...
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 15:59   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Electric resistant heating, water, air or whatever is converting nearly 100% of the electricity to heat, but it is inefficient, if it weren't then there wouldn't be so many heat pumps sold.
It is efficient to some extent, just however we don't usually recognize the tremendous amount of energy in heat.
A typical SUV at highway speed has a stupendous amount of kinetic energy, easily enough to destroy buildings etc, but use the brakes to stop it and you convert nearly 100% of that enormous kinetic energy to heat the brakes, and yet they don't glow red
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:37   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

100% efficient for me and my neighbors as we do not pay for dockside power.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, water