Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 15:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Water Filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I have a background in water purification....

Knowing what I know about the issues with the water being delivered from the tap I would never consume the water from my house that was not final filtered with a very broad spectrum quality filter.
I will be succint to avoid being sensured for ranting....

On behalf of the thousands of us in the water industry who do it right, I take offense to this. If "you know what goes on" and fail to report or rectify it you are liable personally.

The rest of us in play it right and deliver a safe product.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 15:51   #17

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I will be succint to avoid being sensured for ranting....

On behalf of the thousands of us in the water industry who do it right, I take offense to this. If "you know what goes on" and fail to report or rectify it you are liable personally.

The rest of us in play it right and deliver a safe product.
You misread and completely took my meaning with this out of context.

My point was there are hundreds of identified pollutants, chemicals, and pharmacueticals that are not addressed by the clean water act, like MTBE, and munipalities are not required to remove from the water stream. Then throw in the lead and scale and all the other crap from old failing pipes in the distribution system downstream from the plant and what is coming out of the drinking tap loaded with chlorine ain't that good for your health. The point was that I choose to suppliment my municipal water with filtration.

Peace.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 15:56   #18

Boat: Compass 28

There's a whole industry dedicated to treatment of potable tank water, and heaps of safe & effective proprietary products on the market, so why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

I tried bleach many times but the water stank of chlorine and the algae always grew back within a few days. I now use a peroxide-based product which fixed the problem long-term, and it's cheaper - a $50 bottle will last me for about 500 tank refills.

There's still the taste issue, but I will be installing an activated charcoal filter which should fix that.

Down the hatch!
lockie
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 16:00   #19

Boat: Tartan 30

I wonder if 100% purification is even desirable?

There's plenty of baddies in the water I drink (straight from the tap, or even the hose), but I don't get sick because I'm immune to them.

Travel around enough, and you encounter new bacteria and virii and all that stuff... So it's important to filter/clean you're water. But, if you're always drinking 100% 'dead' water, you will never develop any immunities to the bad stuff.

Then one day, when you're forced to drink from a tap, maybe even in you're own country... it kills you.

Any relatively healthy person will be "safe" with a standard chemical treatment and a halfway decent filter. It's OK to get a little bad with the mostly good... We're talking 1 percent of a microscopic amount here! IF THAT.

Ever eat at restaurant? Use a public restroom? live on a boat!!? There's plenty of bacteria and virus's around us all the time, most of them are not harmful... Same is true with water. If you can eat in a restaurant in any given destination, you can drink the water. Now, if you filter it, and maybe even put a little bleach in it, you have NOTHING to worry about
Old 05-10-2011, 16:53   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44
I installed filtered fountains in a domestic/ institutional system. the water is great. Problem is we removed Everthing that is treating the water.post filtration we have to watch out for mold. The spilled purified water gets below the machine and it's damp no chlorine florine antyhing and mold grows. This is gross but I've found that the roaches like this pure water too. So the machined are now watched by a bug company. The roaches got up into the spigot side over a prolonged period of un use.having the filter close to the spigot is good some municipal treatment is probably good to. Still using my seagull . Thiught this intersting though. I have never seen this at the unfiltered water fountains that are still being used.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 17:39   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we reinvent the wheel because many of us actually sail out of safewaterusa to dirty water, gawdknowswhereville.
there ARE filtration systems that WILL fix the problems of mexican or other dirtywaterville, and they are not hyperpricy. chlorine will not do it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 18:22   #22

Boat: Tartan 30

I'm not advocating chlorination as a single method of treatment. I'm saying a splash of bleach, then run it through a $50 filter (instead of a $500) and you'll have safe enough drinking water. At that point, you're water should be the least of you're worries...

I'm not just guessing either. I'm a long-time backpacker, I've drank water out of bio-rich and poluted rivers and streams (as well as ground sources and standing water) that are not fit to swim or fish in. A little iodine and an 2micron filter is all I've ever used. But maybe I'm just lucky?

I'm not claiming to be an expert. Never would... But, it seems to me that we're talking about a .1 percent difference in 'quality' for a 500 percent increase in price. Isn't that the original question? is $500 worth it to get that last .1-.5% increase in purity???

I'm just throwing out some alternatives, take it or leave it, it's not my money
Old 06-10-2011, 18:53   #23

We have used our Water Fixer for 4 yrs- all through Mexico and now back in LA. It has a 5 micron pleated prefilter, then .5 charcoal micron filter and a UV light to kill tons of types of bacteria, viruses, protists, etc (see list on website). I have adrenal issues so I have to be very careful not to get sick & have not had any problems with the water fixer. It was very reasonable in price & pretty small too. We got the 110v unit so when we fill our tanks we have good water. We put the UV on a separate switch so we can use the filters without the UV- it makes LA water drinkable with no chlorine taste/smell!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1474306061.png
Views:	177
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	32425

http://www.waterfixercompany.com/
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water