Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 12:06   #1

Boat: Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
Waste Valves and Overboard discharge

I am a bit confused on the waste water system on my new-to-me Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin (1989). See pictures for the following questions. I have found the waste water manifold with a pair of Y-valves (I think they are Whale diverter valves), one connecting to the holding tank and the other to the macerator.

Question 1: how does one interpret the lever setting on these valves? What is the setting currently doing? I'm hoping it is sending waste to holding tank.

Question 2: once I figure out the valve settings, how do I turn on the macerator pump? There is no breaker for it on the panel, nor can I find one anywhere.

Thanks,
Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2875.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	225641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	225642  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	225643  
awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 13:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Waste Valves and Overboard discharge

What's at the other end of hose that loops under the the hose connected to the y-valve at the "macerator" end of the panel?

The standard OEM toilet on SeaRays has always been VacuFlush. Is that what your toilet is, or has it been replaced with a standard macerating electric toilet?

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 14:26   #3

Thanks for responding, Peggie. Yes, my Sea Ray has Vacuflush toilets.

Too bad I couldn't add labels to the picture but I'll try to describe the hose arrangement. For the left valve, it receives waste from the toilets from the bottom of the valve. Hose exiting the left side is waste going into the top of the holding tank. For the right valve, the hose connected to the bottom of the valve goes to the discharge through-hull. Hose on the right side of right valve goes to macerator pump. The final hose you see connects between the bottom of the holding tank and the pump-out fitting. There is another hose (not shown) that connects between the macerator pump and the bottom of the holding tank.
Old 21-10-2020, 14:57   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

The Whale DV5606 valve handles point in the direction of flow. The long end is the "tail" of the arrow, the short, broader section is the head of the arrow. So the port under the "head" of the arrow is open to the port on the bottom of the valve.

As it looks from the picture and your description, the left valve is configured to receive waste from the toilet (at the bottom port) and send it out the left port (to the holding tank). To discharge directly overboard you would move the left valve handle 180 degrees, then the valve opening would be bottom port to right port. You would also have to swing the macerator valve so that it is open from left port (with the short section of hose) to discharge (bottom).

As currently configured it looks like the macerator could pump overboard if it was turned on (right port connected to bottom port).

The short section of hose between the two valves is currently "dead" i.e. there is no connection at either valve.

Hope that makes sense.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 16:15   #5

Yes, that does make sense, now that you’ve explained how the valves are set!

As a follow up, more questions...should I close the overboard discharge thru-hull if I’m not using direct overboard discharge or macerator discharge? Also, any special valve settings necessary for pumping out? Any idea where the macerator pump switch is located?
Old 21-10-2020, 18:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Yes you should close the thru-hull. Make sure any y-valve in the TANK discharge line is aimed in the direction of the deck pumpout fitting. The macerator pump switch could be in a number of places....you'll just have to find it. Any chance you can get a lot of the answers to your questions from the PO or someone associated with him who has intimate knowledge of the boat's systems.

How much experience have you had with VacuFlush toilets?

--Peggie
Old 22-10-2020, 04:49   #7

Thanks again, Peggie. Will do. The PO hasn’t been much help in this regard, unfortunately.

No, VacuFlush are a new animal to me. I’ve been researching them, changing seals and such, as mine apparently has a slow vacuum leak. I thought it was one of the toilets, but both hold water in the bowl, but the vacuum pump comes on every half hour or so.
Old 22-10-2020, 07:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

It prob'ly just needs new duckbill valves.

I've written a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that it explains how it works and how much water it actually needs to prevent the problems caused by using too little...I'll be glad to send it it you if you'll send me a PM that includes your EMAIL address (no way to attach anything to a PM). I can also attach a couple of schematic drawings that should help you sort out what's actually a part of the VF system and what isn't. (Btw...this offer is open to anyone else reading this who'd like to have them)

Fwiw, VF was the toilet on my last two boats and I was a dealer for nearly 10 years, so I"m intimately acquainted with it.

--Peggie
Old 25-10-2020, 14:49   #9

I have these same Whale diverter valves on my boat and recently read that Whale says they should not be used anywhere the lines will be pressurized in any way. Wouldn't this include pressure being created by my electric toilet pumps, as well as pressure being applied to these valves during pump out? I have read of people who had bad leaks out of the hangle because of this and recently when turning one of mine, a little liquid came out of the handle area which makes me concerned.

Is there a better diverter valve option other than these common Whales? I have seen that Jabsco has a diverter valve but they have swivel outlet ports that I have read leak easily. Is there not a good leak-proof diverter valve option on the market?
Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 15:08   #10
Marine Service Provider

Practical Sailor tested 7 y-valves...they also found that Whale y-valves are prone to leak. You can read their report and decide which would be the best choice for you here

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sys...under-pressure

--Peggie
Old 25-10-2020, 15:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The Whale DV5606 valve handles point in the direction of flow. The long end is the "tail" of the arrow, the short, broader section is the head of the arrow. So the port under the "head" of the arrow is open to the port on the bottom of the valve.

As it looks from the picture and your description, the left valve is configured to receive waste from the toilet (at the bottom port) and send it out the left port (to the holding tank). To discharge directly overboard you would move the left valve handle 180 degrees, then the valve opening would be bottom port to right port. You would also have to swing the macerator valve so that it is open from left port (with the short section of hose) to discharge (bottom).

As currently configured it looks like the macerator could pump overboard if it was turned on (right port connected to bottom port).

The short section of hose between the two valves is currently "dead" i.e. there is no connection at either valve.

Hope that makes sense.
Dsanduril, you sure about that? Mine have arrow stickers on them which seem to indicate the opposite. Flow going in the direction of the long end of the handle.

Like this:
Old 25-10-2020, 16:04   #12

Awsmits, I tested mine, flow is definitely going in the direction of the long end of the hangle. The configuration in the photo shows your toilets are going overboard via the through-hull.
Old 25-10-2020, 16:28   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

Only sure about ours, I know for certain how it works. But also has no sticker arrow on it. Not at the boat at the moment, otherwise I’d pull the handle to see if it can be rotated 180. Two flats on the shaft and it can, one and it can’t. Nevertheless, certain ours flows as described.

Easy enough to test, throw a dye tablet in the toilet and flush. If it comes out outside the boat...
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 18:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Only sure about ours, I know for certain how it works. But also has no sticker arrow on it. Not at the boat at the moment, otherwise I’d pull the handle to see if it can be rotated 180. Two flats on the shaft and it can, one and it can’t. Nevertheless, certain ours flows as described.

Easy enough to test, throw a dye tablet in the toilet and flush. If it comes out outside the boat...
Hmmm, that's pretty silly for a manufacturer to make such an item both ways at some point.

Seems like the only way to be sure is to test it yourself then. You could run a bunch of water through the toilets and see if the tank is filling up. Or if you can get eyes on the through-hull, watch it while somebody flushes.

Tags
overboard