Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 18:18   #1

Boat: Hunter 410
Waste tank valve options

I am looking for options for valves that could be used in my waste tank system.

On my waste tank I have a port with about 3 inches of 2" PVC which attaches to a PVC elbow which has the hose fitting in it. From there it is 1 1/2" trident waste hose up to a Macerator. This setup connects to the bottom of the tank and is constantly in contact with waste so the hose and Macerator always have waste in them.

I am looking at cutting the elbow and hose fitting then attaching a PVC valve of some sort onto the 3 inches of PVC pipe. Its enough pipe to glue in a valve. Then I would attach the same elbow and fitting setup to the other side of the valve. This would allow me to close the valve keeping waste from getting into that line both because it doesn't need to be there all the time and so I can easily service the Macerator as needed.

We are currently in marinas mostly so the Macerator really doesn't need to be open to waste regularly.

I have seen the RV waste valves (gate style) but I can't seem to find one that looks like it is the same 2" ID as the PVC 2" OD so that I can glue it in.

All help is appreciated. Happy and safe boating!
feudalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 18:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Waste tank valve options

I am looking at cutting the elbow and hose fitting then attaching a PVC valve of some sort onto the 3 inches of PVC pipe. Its enough pipe to glue in a valve.

You don't need a valve....There's an easier way: leave the elbow and connect a length of PVC sched 80 to it that has a 1.5" OD long enough to reach the top of the tank. Switch to 1.5" hose to go from the top of the pipe to the macerator pump. Done.You'd have to heel over almost far enough to call it knockdown for waste to run past the top of the pipe.

Even easier if you have enough clearance above the tank: Install a new discharge fitting in the top of the tank --actually pretty easy thanks to a li'l gadget called the Uniseal UNISEAL --and install a pickup tube in it that goes to the bottom of tank. Use PVC (sch 40 will do for this) that has a 1.5" OD long enough to connect a hose to it, and just touch the bottom, which should be cut at about a 25 degree angle (any flatter, stuff can get trapped under it, any steeper leaves too much in the tank). Use a threaded plug wrapped in plenty of teflon tape, both of which you can find in the plumbing department at any decent hardware store, to seal the existing discharge fitting. No more waste standing in any piping.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote