Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 17:50   #1

Waeco/ Danfoss/ Secop dead compressor HELP!!

Instead of reviving one of the old threads decided to create anew one.
I have a portable Dometic CFX50 freezer with dead Waeco ACV20DC compressor and MFC20AD controller with dreadful 3 Flashes on the diagnostics LED.

It is pretty much a Danfoss/ Secop BD35/BD50 110v/ 24v/12v cooler/ freezer.
I have read all the related posts on identifying the issue and troubleshooting (and this forum has been much much helpful - THANK YOU ALL!)

Here are the steps/ results from troubleshooting steps performed:

Please note - all steps were performed with 110V AC and with 12V DC - same result - 3 flashes

1. Placed a jumper wire between terminals C and T - Compressor does not run.

2. Disconnected Black fan wire from F- Terminal - Compressor does not run.

3. Checked resistance between each combination of 2 pins (of the 3). Each pair reads 2.7 Ohms. No leakage to the ground.

All 12v wiring is in good condition. Also tested connecting directly to the fully charged battery.

At this point all recommendations were to replace the control unit - so I did replaced it with Secop 101N0510 - same results on all steps - 3 flashes on diagnostic LED.

What is my next step? Any advice appreciated.

T.

p.s. I am in South Florida, Clearwater area.
in100gramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Waeco/ Danfoss/ Secop dead compressor HELP!!

3 flashes is a compressor overload....
Can you hear it try to start?
You might try filling the cooler with ice for an hour or so and then try and start it.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

These Danfoss variable speed pulse driven three phase coil compressors require clean pure current that can not be confirmed clean with a volt meter, this is why when operated on 12 or 24 volts during testing all boat’s electrical system must be bypassed. To do this test run properly sized positive and negative jumper wires, protected with a 15 amp fuse, direct from battery posts to Danfoss control module.

Three, four, five or six trouble LED codes indicate an overload condition caused by high amperage or dirty electrical current not visible with a voltmeter. If module receives dirty power is will not be able to produce steady pulses in all three field coils resulting in an over amperage starting load.

Your tests ruled out:
1. Thermostat by placing jumper on C and T.
2. Disconnected Fan.
3. Tested field coil resistance. This never fails to test good unless someone tries to power compressor direct from 12 volts DC.
4. All 12v wiring is in good condition. I Also tested connecting directly to the fully charged battery. Checking voltage is of no value with a voltmeter. Bypassing boat’s wiring and powering unit direct from battery is the only simple test for dirty power.
5. Replaced control module.

Common Overload conditions to the BD compressors are caused by:

Seawater interring refrigerant circuit on water cooled systems.

Too much refrigerant in unit based on ambient system’s high temperature or someone tampered with refrigerant or just connecting a gauge to unit.

Mechanical failure in a BD compressor is very unlikely.

If tests were done correctly you now must believe both modules are at fault.
If you want to send the original module to me I can test its operation on 12 volts only and return it to you. If it does test bad I will loan you a good 12/24 volt unit to try at no risk to you if you return it within 30 days.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 16:06   #4

Richard, thank you for the offer. I have already ordered the new control unit. If it fails to start the compressor I will definitely reach out to you.

I wonder that if I will need to replace the compressor - what to replace it with BD35 or BD50? since Waeco "transformed" to Danfoss, then to Secop.

Cheers,
T.
in100gramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Your problem sounds like it is the module or the power cord supplied by Demetic previously Waeco. As to replacing compressor that is not a consideration at this point and will cost 50% of cost of a new unit unless you can do the replacement yourself. The new Secop replacement compressor is still the same Danfoss designed unit but manufactured in China.

Demedic portable cabinet refrigerator/freezers are designed with balanced components so if you were to replace compressor you would want the same size compressor with same Btu output.
Old 31-05-2021, 15:46   #6

Good day all!
I'm new to the forum and looking for advice.
I recently had installed a Dometic CRX1110s. I discovered out of the four different cool settings, only the highest setting would reach an acceptable level.
The other settings were well above 50 degrees.
I contacted Dometic and was assured this was normal.
I've been looking at replacing the Waeco MFC20AD22 controller with a comparable Secop controller. I currently have a ACV20DC compressor. My thought is to be able to adjust the resistors in the replacement controller via Tool4Cool.
Question, does this seem possible?
Rover 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:00   #7

Avoid anything with the name Dometic on it. They have a reputation... and it's not good! Their crap has been in RV's for decades and never works!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:34   #8
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover 1 View Post
Good day all!
I'm new to the forum and looking for advice.
I recently had installed a Dometic CRX1110s. I discovered out of the four different cool settings, only the highest setting would reach an acceptable level.
The other settings were well above 50 degrees.
I contacted Dometic and was assured this was normal.
I've been looking at replacing the Waeco MFC20AD22 controller with a comparable Secop controller. I currently have a ACV20DC compressor. My thought is to be able to adjust the resistors in the replacement controller via Tool4Cool.
Question, does this seem possible?
G'Day Rover, suggest fitting a digital thermostat like the Elitech. This would allow you to accurately program SET (cut off) and cut in temperatures and with temperature read out. BTW if the digital you get is 110 or 240VAC., simply slide off the case and by pass the little transformer as the controllers workings are actually 12 / 24 VDC
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:04   #9
Marine Service Provider

The internal temperature of any box, as a general rule, is directly tied to, and at least 15 degrees above device that is cooling it.
Where is your system measuring the/it's reference temperature.
Where is the probe?
What is the evaporator (the cold plate/part) temperature?
I am asking not because I don't know the exact make and model you have, but to give everyone else something to think about.
Jumper the tstat out and turn it on with a 100% reliable, accurate thermometer in it, let it run while you watch it over a period of 3 hours and tell us what you see.
You already know how to jump T and C right?
I also recommend that you all buy a digital temp logger on amazon and start to see the actual work being done.
I and the other pros here can be much more effective with our advice that way.
Lots of them here to complicate your lives with.

https://www.amazon.com/digital-tempe...erature+logger
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 18:30   #10

Thanks to all of you!
So ok this sounds as if I need to do some trouble shooting.
At first I thought it was just the settings in the controller that were screwy.
Now its starting to sound as if there's something actually wrong with the system.
I'll need to order a data logger and conduct some suggested tests.
I'll be back soon
Old 31-05-2021, 19:03   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerking View Post
The internal temperature of any box, as a general rule, is directly tied to, and at least 15 degrees above device that is cooling it.
Where is your system measuring the/it's reference temperature.
Where is the probe?
What is the evaporator (the cold plate/part) temperature?
I am asking not because I don't know the exact make and model you have, but to give everyone else something to think about.
Jumper the tstat out and turn it on with a 100% reliable, accurate thermometer in it, let it run while you watch it over a period of 3 hours and tell us what you see.
You already know how to jump T and C right?
I also recommend that you all buy a digital temp logger on amazon and start to see the actual work being done.
I and the other pros here can be much more effective with our advice that way.
Lots of them here to complicate your lives with.

https://www.amazon.com/digital-tempe...erature+logger
If Rover you will pay attention to Coolerking as proven in earlier threads as they are going to wasting your time running you in circles. Coolerking has the correct answers to the problem.
Old 06-06-2021, 21:58   #12

Well its been a few days of gathering information.
I purchased an Elitech RC-5+te.
Started logging the temps on each setting individually.
The logging was conducted for 20 hours, during the day and overnight. Ambient temps were in the mid to high 70's.
1st setting revealed a 53.8 avg temp
2nd setting revealed a 48.8 avg temp
3rd setting revealed a 44.4 avg temp
4th setting revealed a 38.3 avg temp
The data logger was placed in the middle of the middle shelf.
The thermostat is mounted on the upper left forward wall near the bottom of the freezer area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4194.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	239876  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf First Setting.pdf (15.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Second Setting.pdf (15.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Third Setting.pdf (16.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf Fourth Setting.pdf (15.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-06-2021, 11:15   #13
Marine Service Provider

Rover 1, I do not see where you followed Coolerkings advice to bypass thermostat control over compressor to determine the amount of energy transfer into evaporator.

Your data logger # 4 looks to me that Coolerking was on the right track. I don't like theories I can not confirm, so I am going to give you one you can prove or disprove.
The data logger graph shows sluggish change when compressor stops and cold energy start to be consumed. This may be caused be the type data logger you have. Also the compressor cycles in middle need to transfer less energy near the end graph time.
My belief is that your refrigerator like millions of others depend on heat transfer by Inductance into box air. Your picture does not show location of evaporator so if it is above a separator without air tumbling around evaporator absorbing warm air below rising towards evaporator This may be a problem.

There are two ways to prov or disprove this theory. Set temperature to a lower than normal temperature or create improved air movement in and out of lower refrigerator box.
Old 11-06-2021, 14:35   #14

That was way above any understanding I have of refrigeration.

Tags
compressor