Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 03:45   #1

Waeco chest fridge/freezer CF 50 error message Err2 Err1

Recently purchased a second hand Waeco chest fridge/freezer CF50 as a second/backup fridge on the boat. All was working fine until the fridge refused to start and showed “Err2”.

According to the user manual (page 23) “Err2” (or any other error message e.g.: “Err1” means that “The device has switched off due to an internal fault.” Suggested remedy “This can only be repaired by an authorised repair centre.” To be honest that’s about as useful as a bicycle to a fish, in the middle of nowhere.

So, with the beer getting warmer, the circumstances required a set of screwdrivers, a multimeter and band-aids. I have heard that the thermistor on older units can often be the point of failure. In this case, it also turns out to be the situation.

The Thermistor is connected to the upper circuit board located under the buttons to operate the fridge. Not hard to access, 2 Philips heads under the fridge lid, either side of the internal light, then 3 Phillips heads to remove the circuit board from the buttons. The thermistor (only 2 wires) is connected to the circuit board by a small white connected (in my case) to the right of the multi-wire connector.

I disconnect the thermistor from the board, hoping an open circuit would at least get the fridge to start without the thermistor (ie 100% resistance), but no. What it did was change the error code from “Err2” to “Err1” (might be useful for anyone tracking down an Err1 problem). So, take the reverse, I shorted the 2 thermistor wires at the circuit board (i.e. no resistance) to see if that would get the fridge to start, but also no, just “Err2” message.

Finally, I connected a 10k ohm carbon resistor (the small colour banded one, cost about $0.85 for a pack of 10) to the thermistor wires and the error code was removed and the fridge started working. The display read 22c, being the perceived temperature at that resistance. Turns out the lower the resistance the higher the perceived temperature.

This was not a final solution, because the fridge would run all the time freezing everything. But, by turning the fridge on manually, a couple of hours at a time got us out of a warm beer situation.

Hope this helps someone else.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 03:57   #2

Re: Waeco chest fridge/freezer CF 50 error message Err2 Err1

This is most probably the control panel refered to. The Waeco 40L panel is the same as the 50L. The Thermistor is a 10K NTC @25deg C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WAECO CF-40 verb.1 display.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	251455   Click image for larger version

Name:	WAECO CF-40 verb.2 display.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	251456  

Name:	WAECO CF-40 verb.2aa display.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	251457  
DeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 19:50   #3

Hi DeBe

It seems you are a guru when it comes to Waeco units, and I'm hoping that you can help me!

I have a CF110. It was working OK, but I flattened the battery connected to it, so I decided to connect an external 12V power supply. I think I had the polarity reversed initially, and weirdly the power supply then showed 18V on my multimeter. I then switched to correct polarity, and it was reading 12.8 V on the multimeter. But the unit I would not turn on.

Back in 2016 I bought a conversion kit, new main board, top board and membrane for digital display. I did not use it at the time as I discovered that a loose earth wire on the BD35F control box was the fault. Duh!

But now, time to install the kit as I likely ruined the old boards with the reverse polarity noted above. Fairly simple to install the VerB kit, but on power up I get a power light but "Err1" on the digital display. Given the earlier post in this thread, perhaps this indicates no thermistor?

My old board (#05224 Rev C) had 2 small black wires connected to CP4. The new board has nowhere to connect them. Was it a thermistor connected to CP4? If so then if I extend the wires so it can be connected to the top control board then will it work, or does it need a different spec thermistor?

CP4 is on the right, below the long connector (CP8)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old main board.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	271563  
Old 14-02-2023, 13:46   #4

OK, update.

I did a temp connection of the 2 black wires formerly in CP4 of the old board, and the fridge is running. Just one problem: the digital readout indicated 40 when connected when ambient temp was 30°. I put a thermometer probe inside the fridge and temp steadily reduced. However the digital readout climbed to 46-48° and stayed there. Obviously the thermistor needs to be replaced!
Old 16-02-2023, 04:37   #5

Most Waeco fridges use a 10K ohm thermistor. To check thermistor with ohms on multi meter it should read 10K ohm at 25 deg Celcius.
Old 16-02-2023, 22:40   #6

DeBe - many thanks for your reply.

I now have anew Waeco thermistor. Its a really old (Dec 2006) unit and I cannot remove the base.

DeBe, I saw a post of yours on Grey Nomads forum in the "Waeco Powersupply" thread. It was dated 7 Dec 2014, and included 2 pics showing the thermistor mounted inside the fridge compartment. This will be easy enough to do, but is there a critical location? Your pics have two ovals drawn with a line above them (which has thermistor mounted) and another line below them. Can i simply mount anywhere internally about 1cm from the top of the cooling plate?
Old 18-02-2023, 22:53   #7

These should be the pictures. If you drill lower you will damage the evaporator & loose the gas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WAECO.1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	271760   Click image for larger version

Name:	WAECO.2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	271761  

Name:	WAECO.3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	271762  
Old 18-02-2023, 22:59   #8

Got it, thanks! I'll use heat sink compound/goo for attaching instead of a screw, but mount in the same place.

Tags
freezer