Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 13:11   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Vitifrigo Freezer, what temperature can yours do?

I have a factory installed Vitifrigo freezer on my Lagoon. I have installed a digital thermostat and have a separate thermometer inside the freezer.

The freezer can reliably get down to about -5 Celsius (23 Fahrenheit) and that's about what it can maintain. If I set the thermostat to anything lower it just runs continually.

Ice stays frozen just fine, most other things stay frozen, but ice cream gets soft, and I worry it is not suitable for long term meat storage.

What temp are you able to maintain on your freezer? Is this temp just par for the course, or is the freezer need service? Thanks.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 13:19   #2

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Re: Vitifrigo Freezer, what temperature can yours do?

Personally, I'd have a service guy check it out to be sure. If you can add more insulation anywhere around the unit that won't hurt airflow to the condenser, that will help. Better condenser airflow will help as well (this may require adding or moving a fan). A small fan to constantly keep air moving in the freezer will likely help as well, especially if the evaporator is a little on the small side.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 13:31   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

The cheapest and easiest solution would be to first improve airflow over the condensor at the back of the fridge. My experience is based on the installation on our boat, but I have observed it is the same on a lot of boats.

The construction yard is not interested in the optimal functioning of your freezer or fridge. The fridge is housed in a case and the yard cuts a hole for ventilation in the case.
That case is then installed in the boat galley and the planned hole doesn’t line up or is totally covered by other galley cupboards.

The fridge/freezer installed has a compressor calculated for the task by the manufacturer, based on a "normal" use case, i.e. in a house against a wall with free air circulation. On a boat this is never the case, so try to get as close to this use case as possible before taking more drastic measures.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:36   #4

What model freezer is it? Internal or external compressor?
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:56   #5

There are so many things that can cause this that we would need to write a book.
How big is the evaporator, length and width, is it a roll bond, or flat dry plate, are plates mounted on wall or spaced off, is it top loading side loading or both,
what is total volume of box itself, how thick is the insulation on all sides, is the insulation contained in a vapor barrier, is it all wet, how do the gaskets seal, is the condenser able to expel the heat out of it's location effectively, is the system charged and powered correctly, is the tstst sensor tube correctly installed is there a drain in it and if so is it sealed...and on and on.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:56   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
What model freezer is it? Internal or external compressor?
This is a Vitifrigo Model BN100BT-DE, Compressor is BD60F. The compressor is external, both the box and compressor are built into a cabinet by the boat manufacturer with air flow slats.

I sort of guessing from the responses that this -5C is not good enough cooling for a freezer, and better performance should be expected.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer