Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2009, 18:27   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Vetus vs Nauta

Anyone have an opinion on which waste bladder tank is better? The "vulcanized" nauta sounds good but is that any better than the vetus three ply seems? I am looking at the 18-25 gallon range.
Sorry to be talking sanitation again..
E
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 18:34   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Stinky Bladder

Neither one is worth using for waste. My boat had a nauta waste bladder when I bought it. That was the most foul smelling thing on the face of the earth. According to the manu date on the gas bag it was no more than 5 yrs old.
The advice is always to rig the sanitation hoses without low spots to collect "matter", so what's the difference between a hose and a bladder?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 18:49   #3

sailmonkey,
I know that other tanks are better but until I am ready to build a fbg tank....bladder is the best option for me.
so which is better vetus or nauta?
E
Old 18-11-2009, 19:01   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
My gut says vetus.
But having said that I've never seen a vetus after it had held waste, The nauta that I had was made of a fabric similar to a hypalon dinghy.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 07:37   #5

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
First consider that my data on vetus is very old and only with one tank. Our Islander 30 had a bladder tank by vetus that had never been used (it was there for looks not hooked up and it could have been on the boat since 1975). We decided to be legal and hooked it up shortly after we bought the boat in 1988. It began to give off oder almost imediately and we went to a plastic tank shortly there after. My present boat has a nauta diesel bladder tank for the Dickenson Heater (so no experiance with waste). It has been on the boat since long before I bought it in 05 and although if you get close you can smell the diesel it is not bad IMO (and my wife doesn't complain about the smell). So if I was putting in a temp bladdder tanks I'd probably go for NAUTA but I'd be lookiing to get a hard tank soon.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 09:05   #6

Ocean Girl - please try to find another way! I have never heard of anyone who was happy with a flexible waste tank. (well there was one guy who just put it for Coast Guard reasons but never let any waste get in the tank) There is nothing like a sewage smell to make a boat unpleasant. And once it "gets in" your boat, you'll always think you can smell it even after you've replaced the smelly stuff.

Heavy walled plastic tanks are really the only "no smell" solution I've ever seen. Ronco makes great ones.

Ronco Plastics - www.ronco-plastics.com

Years ago I bought one from Oceanlink in Rhode Island who has even more sizes.

OceanLink Inc.

They have a huge number of shapes and sizes. If one tank won't fit consider two smaller tanks plumbed together (a little more expensive but better than sewage smell)

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 09:27   #7

I know, lord I know. I am hoping to buy myself a year or two until a proper fbg can be made. I can do it (with help) but dont have the time. I need to sail my baby, but she can't be sailed with the jury rig I got going now.

I have heard of bladders that work.Yes they are few and far between but I have heard of good outcomes. What I was hoping to hear from the CF gang is the difference between the construction of the nauta and vetus. They use different principles for the seams - one is Vulcanized seams(nauta) the other three ply seams(vetus).

Also it appears vetus has stopped making the bladders, anyone know if that is correct?

Cheers,
Erika
Old 22-11-2009, 07:57   #8

Took one look at the nauta tank and realized there is no way I could trust that thing to such an important task. You all were right. Will be installing a plastic tank from ranco#486, in its original spot (I had turned that spot into a sail locker).
Thanks for your advice, you just saved both Ocean Girls a fate worse than death...head smell. As you can see a gal can charge her mind on anything
Thanks again,
Erika
Old 26-11-2009, 17:20   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Vetus became sort of like Plastimo - they sell both good things and plastimerde. If Nauta is (?) Italian I would not buy anything from them - had plenty of problems with Italian things onboard.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote