Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2010, 04:03   #16
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmason View Post
I think what you are looking for would be called a "job". However, I don't think you should look for anything involving math skills.

$4 X 5 Minutes = $48 per hour

Normal work day of 8 hours = $384
Half day (12 hours) = $576

Hm.. You're right, I really amd quite crap at Maths. So what I will do is employ you to be my accountant, and I'll give you $500/month (enough to cruise on), leaving me with $5000 a month (also enough to cruise on).
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 05:01   #17

Boat: seawind II Patience
Union job 1/2 hr break in morning & evening,1hr lunch.Need to outsource to reach max. capacity.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 18:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Tell me how many ounces of ice and I'll tell you the minimum energy required.

My fridge makes (unwanted) ice. Never occurred to me to put it in the Sundowner.

On this subject: Old school aluminum ice trays make ice really fast when set on the evaporator. Bozo modern plastic ones not so much. Anyone seen aluminum ice trays for sale?
OK, 2 ounces... I guess thats about 4 cubes...it does not have to be fancy.... just make them with the least current draw in a shortish time.

The idea of aluminium trays set on the evaporator sounds interesting if you have a fridge (as in a way you get something for nothing as it would be in a place that takes no space from something else) I would guess that the aluminium tray would have to be small and shallow, is that right?
Thanks
John
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 18:28   #19

With the absolute best refrigeration practical it requires .15A-h to make an ounce of ice. Estimate small refrigeration systems are only half as good as big commercial ones, so figure 0.6 Ampere-hour to make your 2 ounces of ice. Seems worth it.

I think making them in the regular fridge box is best. But for a dedicated unit just buy the smallest marine unit, make a little box with aluminum trays, it should make ice in a few minutes.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 13:36   #20

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
The ice trays listed here are what I have. They came with the refrigeration system and seem to work well.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 05:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
The ice trays listed here are what I have. They came with the refrigeration system and seem to work well.
Perfect! And vertical! Excellent! I just ordered 2. Not cheap though, wow!
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 06:09   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
We've had this dream, too, especially after being on a friend's boat which had a commercial-type ice maker on board. In hot weather. Obviously a bit bigger than our boat.

But I'm afraid we're overloaded with appliances and cr*p as it is, so the "highly efficient icemaker" will continue to be my own two hands. Keep four trays freezing at all times and periodically dump them out into a plastic container. Slight hassle but works ok with our separate top-loading freezer.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote