Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2009, 15:16   #16

Thanks Cacique, yes mine is a sort of Y shape, however being from "down under" I would have described it more of a Boomarang shape. I think what you say is exactly what is happening, no matter which way I point the arrows, waste goes overboard.
I will try pulling it apart or the weekend and see what happens.

rgds
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 15:20   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Thanks MichaelB can you let us know what you find?
Old 25-09-2019, 18:51   #18

Re: Vented Loop Question

I’m currently performing a new install and would be thrilled to know more about placing the vented loop before inlet. Please impart your knowledge, Midlandone!
opfrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 19:28   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfrei View Post
I’m currently performing a new install and would be thrilled to know more about placing the vented loop before inlet. Please impart your knowledge, Midlandone!

A vented loop is needed in the intake on any toilet that's installed below the waterline. It needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT ANY ANGLE OF HEEL, NOT just when the boat is rest...which on most sailboats puts it 2-3' above the bowl. It should NOT be installed in the intake line between the thru-hull and pump...it'll interfere with the toilet's ability to prime if you put it there. It needs to be installed between the pump and the bowl, which requires replacing the short piece of hose the toilet mfr used to connect 'em. You'll see illustrations in the on page 3 of the owners manual for the Jabsco manual toilet Jabsco 29090 Manual Twist & Lock owners manual and on page 5 of the owners manual for the Raritan PHII manual toilet PH II Owner’s Manual

If you'll only be flushing into a tank, no discharge vented loop is needed, but one is needed if you also flush directly overboard.

That covers the basics...I'll be glad to answer any questions if you need help with the details.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 19:30   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfrei View Post

A vented loop is needed in the intake on any toilet that's installed below the waterline. It needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT ANY ANGLE OF HEEL, NOT just when the boat is rest...which on most sailboats puts it 2-3' above the bowl. It should NOT be installed in the intake line between the thru-hull and pump...it'll interfere with the toilet's ability to prime if you put it there. It needs to be installed between the pump and the bowl, which requires replacing the short piece of hose the toilet mfr used to connect 'em. You'll see illustrations in the on page 3 of the owners manual for the Jabsco manual toilet Jabsco 29090 Manual Twist & Lock owners manual and on page 5 of the owners manual for the Raritan PHII manual toilet PH II Owner’s Manual

If you'll only be flushing into a tank, no discharge vented loop is needed, but one is needed if you also flush directly overboard...same 6-8" above waterline as the intake loop.

That covers the basics...I'll be glad to answer any questions if you need help with the details.

--Peggie
Old 26-09-2019, 05:27   #21

Earlier in this thread there was mention of an arrangement with pre-intake loop, which would make for a simpler install. Perhaps using a solenoid?
Old 26-09-2019, 07:31   #22
Marine Service Provider

Solenoid valves don't replace a vented loop, they only replace the air valve in a vented loop and require wiring to operate them. It's only needed for sea water electric toilets. It's an electric air valve and is installed in the intake line between the thru-hull and the pump. It's wired to the flush button and automatically closes the air valve to allow the toilet to prime, open again to prevent a siphon. If the electric toilet is one that has a line connecting the pump/motor assembly to the bowl, the loop can be installed between the pump and the bowl same as a manual toilet, eliminating the need for a solenoid valve.

A different type of solenoid valve is needed for toilets designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water...it's also wired to the flush panel...controls flush water much the same way that a faucet turns water going into a sink on and off. Some fresh water toilets have that solenoid built into them.

--Peggie
Old 26-09-2019, 11:00   #23

I’m assuming it’s crazy to think that one could do away altogether with vented loops and prevent siphoning using a ‘normally closed’ solenoid at the intake wired to the flush switch on an electric head...
Old 26-09-2019, 12:42   #24
Marine Service Provider

Nope, not crazy. But solenoids have relatively short lifespans..vented loops last forever. The last thing you'd want is a solenoid valve in line directly to the intake thru-hull to get stuck in the open position. At the very least a vented loop creates a "hill" in the line that water has push pretty hard to get over.

--Peggie
Old 26-09-2019, 13:30   #25

Thank you for your input, Peggy. Post-intake vented loop it is!
Old 26-09-2019, 14:47   #26

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you have an electric toilet and can mount the vented loop in a convenient location, it's easy enough to hold a finger over the valve whilst flushing to prevent air being drawn.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote