Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2020, 14:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Vented loop issues

Whenever I flush my aft head, I hear a noticeable hissing and see a little bubbling of nastiness from the vented loop in the discharge hose while the flush motor/macerator is actually running. When this first started I investigated and saw a little bubbling from the top of the duckbill, so assuming it was old I replaced it. But that did not resolve the problem, I still hear the hissing and see a little bubbling, and the smell is not fun. I doubled checked that the duckbill was inserted correctly (facing downward), cleaned it again, checked that there are no obvious obstructions in the discharge through hull. Before I go to the next step of replacing the hose, is there anything else I can check that might resolve the problem?

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 14:22   #2

Re: Vented loop issues

You have a vented loop in the 1.5" hose?
I have solved the valve issue before by taking it off the loop and installing a short hose between the loop and valve. Not sure about a loops with crap in the valve though...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 14:55   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you could always plug up the loop vent and open the sea cock when running the discharge .. otherwise leaving it closed to prevent back flow.
Old 27-12-2020, 06:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

I'm guessing that mineral and/or waste buildup may have partially clogged the toilet discharge line and loop, creating back pressure that's forcing flushes out the duckbill cap.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 05:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I'm guessing that mineral and/or waste buildup may have partially clogged the toilet discharge line and loop, creating back pressure that's forcing flushes out the duckbill cap.

--Peggie
Thanks, Peggie! That's my suspicion too, so I'm ordering new hose and am just going to replace it. Not sure how old the hose is, so why even both trying to unclog it. The system consists of an electric flush head, connected to an ElectroScan, and then the 1.5" overboard discharge loop. The toilet is flushing just fine, so I guess the clog is not enough to prevent the flush, just build up enough pressure to overcome the duckbill and allow some seepage, and the attending odor :-(.

Know any good online or brick&mortar sources for sanitation hose? That stuff is not cheap! Looking at the Raritan Saniflex hose, as its flexibility could really help make installation easier. Is it any good, in your opinion?

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 28-12-2020, 19:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Raritan SaniFlex hose RaritanSaniFlex hose would be my choice. Not only has it proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant (not a single reported odor permeation failure nor have I heard of any), but it has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as a tight as a hairpin without kinking...making re-hosing a lot easier. Defender has it for the best price I've found Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 07:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Raritan SaniFlex hose
<snip>
--Peggie
Thanks again, Peggie! Got a bunch of new hose on order. Also going to replace the vented loop fitting too, just to be thorough. I'll post the results of the replacement here, hopefully it will resolve the pressure issue, and the odor - perhaps more appropriately called an "oh-dear" :-).

Regards,
David.