Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54   #1

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Vent Tube Size?

I was curious if there is a minimum ID (inside diameter) of a vent tube from the waste tank to the outside of the boat?
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33   #2

Re: Vent Tube Size?

Generally speaking, the bigger the better. Poor air circulation, because of a too-small vent line, is one of the leading causes of bad head odors. I've even considered multiple vent lines, to get some cross-flow ventilation.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Generally speaking, the bigger the better. Poor air circulation, because of a too-small vent line, is one of the leading causes of bad head odors. I've even considered multiple vent lines, to get some cross-flow ventilation.
Indeed.

See also ➥ http://www.practical-sailor.com/issu...s_10949-1.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I don't know if there's a volume to I.D. ratio, but multiple ones make sense in some ways. Two 5/8" vent lines going through a Y-connector to a 3/4 well above the waterline and with a gooseneck from (say) a 50 gallon waste tank sounds about right, and would be helpful, too, at pump outs.

Should I invoke Saint Peggie Hall here?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
I was curious if there is a minimum ID (inside diameter) of a vent tube from the waste tank to the outside of the boat?
Why? There's no law on a minimum size, but as others have posted, the bigger the better. Pretty much you would normally match the hose size to the outlet on the holding tank.

If you are building a boat and having a custom holding tank built, one or even two one inch vents would be a lot better than what comes on most production boats. have one vent fitting put on each side of the tank and run vent hoses from these to each side of the boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 23:09   #6

Thanks! The vent fitting built into the waste tank is 1/2" od. Guess I need to get a different waste tank, with a bigger vent fitting.
Old 03-05-2013, 23:37   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There are water proof fittings that can be easely fitted to your tank in most any size you might want.
Old 03-05-2013, 23:48   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

If they are real small or plugged up one can have quite the explosion. You can ask my ex in-laws about that!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:04   #9

Quote:
Thanks! The vent fitting built into the waste tank is 1/2" od. Guess I need to get a different waste tank, with a bigger vent fitting.
That's not necessary. A "fitting relocating kit" is available from West Marine. Check to see what sizes are in the kit.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:21   #10

trying to wrap my head (no pun intended) around this. My plastic waste tank has 3 fittings. The discharge fitting @ 2.5", the input fitting about 2", and the vent fitting in 1/2".

So...do I cap off and seal my present vent fitting, then cut a larger hole into my waste tank and install a new larger fitting? Then bore a hole through the deck or hull of me boat to make a larger venting system?

Or

Use the present 1/2" vent fitting, then use a larger adapter screwed/mounted/attached onto the 1/2" vent fitting to increase it to 3/4 of an inch or larger, then bore a hole into me boat to accomodate the larger vent line?

The bore-a-hole is a little unsettling for me.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59   #11

Quote:
trying to wrap my head (no pun intended) around this. My plastic waste tank has 3 fittings. The discharge fitting @ 2.5", the input fitting about 2", and the vent fitting in 1/2".

So...do I cap off and seal my present vent fitting, then cut a larger hole into my waste tank and install a new larger fitting? Then bore a hole through the deck or hull of me boat to make a larger venting system?

Or

Use the present 1/2" vent fitting, then use a larger adapter screwed/mounted/attached onto the 1/2" vent fitting to increase it to 3/4 of an inch or larger, then bore a hole into me boat to accomodate the larger vent line?

The bore-a-hole is a little unsettling for me.
Look at the fitting relocation kit. I have never used it or inspected it but I believe it has several fittings and plugs for unused fittings and instructions for installing the new outlets.

You have a really good option here. Use the existing 1/2" outlet and hose, then add a larger outlet and hose to the other side of the tank and install a matching thruhull on the other side of the boat. This will provide cross ventilation.

Adapting the existing 1/2" outlet to a larger hose will not be an improvement.

If you're afraid to bore a hole in your boat for a vent, have a pro do it. It's not that hard.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:11   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Me I would use a 1/2 by 5/8 increaser and just use the 1/2" port. It will act as a slight restrictive orifice but the pressure drop across it will be minimal compared to a 1" port at low flow velocities.

Then use 5/8" hose or even 3/4" hose (ID). For a short run say under 8-10 feet that will be fine. If you have a long run or electric toilets use one size larger hose. The electric toilets have a higher flow velocity so move more air per second. Also longer runs have a higher pressure drop then short runs, so a larger size vent hose would be better.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:55   #13

Thanks all for the advice on this topic. It has been a great help to improve my venting system.

Tags
size