Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2021, 13:46   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Variable Speed Fresh Water Pump

What are the odds?

A week ago my 20 year old accumulator tank exploded. I was pleased that I had miscellaneous plumbing bits on hand sufficient to blank it off (I carry a lot of spares, but not a spare accumulator tank).

Then today, as I was leaving the boat to go on a business trip, literally the last second I needed to use water before running for the airport -- the fresh water pump just stopped.

It's a Johnson washdown pump which I pressed in to service a few years ago to replace the original Shure-Flo pump which had a failed bearing for the wobble shaft. I corrected the pressure of the washdown pump by cutting loops out of the spring in the pressure switch.

I bought a new bearing for the Shure-Flo and put it into spares.

I have no idea what's wrong with the Johnson pump -- I was already late for my flight and no time to do any diagnosis. But I won't have time to mess around much with it before leaving for my race and then summer cruise. So there's a new Johnson fresh water pump in my SVB24.de shopping cart, but I stopped --

Maybe this is the time to ditch the whole pump-accumulator tank system -- all the more since I have this double failure. And go for a variable speed pump which doesn't need an accumulator tank at all?

Anyone have any experience with one of these?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 14:47   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Variable Speed Fresh Water Pump

Not keen on the concept, it's going to drain electrical power all the time whilst actively maintaining pressure in the system whereas the accumulator did it with only intermittent power use.
Old 08-06-2021, 14:57   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Not keen on the concept, it's going to drain electrical power all the time whilst actively maintaining pressure in the system whereas the accumulator did it with only intermittent power use.

I don't think that's how it works. It doesn't run all the time, any more than my normal pump with no accumulator in the system runs all the time.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 14:57   #4

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

How do you get that sort of life from an accumulator?
We got about 3 years from a small jabso one
Replaced it with an 8 litre one from an irrigation shop and the bladder failed after 18mths.

Before that we had a variable speed pump but It didn't last any longer than the standard types.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 15:05   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

I can only speak to a Johnson variable speed, with no accumulator it will let you know about every single drip pretty quickly. Not necessarily a bad thing.

The old advertising language for the Johnson 10-13329-103:
Quote:
The unique variable flow feature of the Flow Master pump allows the pump to be mounted without an accumulator tank and still maintain an even flow even when multiple taps are being used.
The new language:
Quote:
The digital controller adjusts water flow as the demand is increased and decreased while maintaining a very smooth flow.
Which is followed by a little note (elsewhere in the documents):
Quote:
For minimizing the number of starts and stops - and thereby reducing wear and tear on the pump when only small amounts of water are drawn off - it is recommended to install the WPS pumps together with and [sic - I type this way a lot too] accumulator tank.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 16:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have one and it doesn't work that way. It just comes on when you turn a faucet on, and even then not right away. Pressure is entirely constant, which wasn't the case with my accumulator system that bled off then bumped up when the pump came on. I would guess total electricity use is very comparable, but then I'm not a milliwatt hour counter either and in the grand scheme no water pump makes up much of my energy budget except the water maker.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 16:32   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

My only experience with a variable pump was a couple of Shurflos in the mid/late 2000s. Unreliable is too kind a word for those... The longest lived one made it 3 or 4 months. So we went back to the standard pressure switch pumps with no issues.

My system was built with no accumulator, even with the standard pumps. Yeah, it cycles and pulses at low flows, but with only a 3 gpm pump, it's not excessive and it doesn't take a lot of flow to prevent cycling. And reliability doesn't seem to be an issue, as the current pump was installed in 2007-ish (and was a spare with a 1989 build date) and is still doing just fine.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 17:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I would guess a lot of boats don't have accumulator tanks mine included and the pump is 20 years old. If you have enough plumbing on your boat it acts like an acc tank ! Varying speed has no sense apart from complicating matters.
Old 08-06-2021, 17:37   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Accumulators are very easy to build, 1 ply rubber hose inside black poly pipe will do the job very reliably. With a largish one you can take mist of the pressure surges out of a pressurized boat water system.

I am permanently installing a demand type gas hot water heater which is very sensitive to flow variations and will be fabricating an accumulator to fix the problem. I am thinking 3" pipe with 2" hose about 3-4' long in the bilge somewhere.
Old 08-06-2021, 18:37   #10

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

We had a Jabsco Flo 5.0 variable. Really liked it when it worked. As others noted the pressure switch broke after a few months. (the pump itself was fine). A google search showed it was a common fault. I found that Jabsco sells the pressure switch separately - no doubt due to all the failures. I bought 2 so I have a spare and will try it again. The jury is still out. Like I said when it worked it was great.
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 21:36   #11

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I would guess a lot of boats don't have accumulator tanks mine included and the pump is 20 years old. If you have enough plumbing on your boat it acts like an acc tank
I would think a twin level 60fter should have enough PEX plumbing on board yet we have hammering pipes at the moment now that the accumulation tank is gone.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:53   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
We had a Jabsco Flo 5.0 variable. Really liked it when it worked. As others noted the pressure switch broke after a few months. (the pump itself was fine). A google search showed it was a common fault. I found that Jabsco sells the pressure switch separately - no doubt due to all the failures. I bought 2 so I have a spare and will try it again. The jury is still out. Like I said when it worked it was great.
If you add a relay to the system the pressure switch will last forever !
Old 09-06-2021, 05:18   #13

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have this pump originally installed by Hunter Marine since 2005. No accumulator. No problems. It is variable speed, when 2 faucets are open it increases speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B3A61D1-C131-489D-98FE-C0E7DE0DD9DC.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	240010  
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:47   #14

FYI , I bought a Jabsco 5.0 variable speed ( no accumulator tank needed )fresh water pump for our system 7/20 Pump never shut off properly & continued to pulse Have been waiting for replacement however, they are in California and not yet back to work/production They have been very responsive and assured me that the will be shipping a new standard 5.0 gph pump with accumulator tank approx 7/20/21 as they will not be producing the variable speed unit & are discontinuing it
Sailorman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 13:03   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

when I bought my boat 11 years ago the pump speed raised and lowered, I thought it was getting ready to die, I bought a spare and then realized it was a variable speed pump and was working normal. I have not had to install the spare yet, original is at least 11 years old. I live on my boat and it gets used a lot, love it.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump