Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 13:59   #16

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Variable Speed Fresh Water Pump

When I had to replace our circa 2005 Shurflo fresh water pump a few years back I had read about the variable speed pumps and they sounded ideal. We only have a 3-4GPM pump and no accumulator. Doing a bit more research I recall finding a lot of negative comments on the longevity so I just went with a standard Shuflo Aqua King II. It's been fine since. I stuck with Shurflo mainly to make the swap simple. Sorry, I don't have the references handy.

As far as what are the odds? As someone's tag line on here says, "Never let anything mechanical know you are in a hurry".
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 14:25   #17

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter

I stumbled onto cycle stop valves not long ago. Essentially it uses a special valve to make a regular pressure switch well pump become a variable speed pump. It uses pressure to throttle the pump. It's expensive if you buy the set, but you can just get the valve. it would let you use a cheaper regular pump. You can get them to set the valve and pressure switch to the 20-40psi normal boat pressure. I've seen good reviews, but haven't seen anyone use one of these in the forums yet. Normally used for a well pump, very similar to regular boat pumps.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 14:38   #18

When Catalina started making the successor to my C34 boat, the C355, they used Jabsco VSP. Nothing but repeated disasters. Sailorman and nmuir have noted their concerns.

I have a 1986 Shurflo regular pump still works fine, no accumulator.

KISS???
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 16:29   #19

Variable speed pump on our fourth one, still under warranty, Not worth aggravation or money.
Canopus199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 17:24   #20

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Accumulator and variable speed pump. At least 6 years old. Likely add 5 or more to that. Flawless so far. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7317.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	240045Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7316.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	240046
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 18:08   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The old Jabsco SensorMax were great, be careful with them. I rebuilt mine until the plastic started disintegrating, they lasted 15 years of full time use (I was alternating between two but using one 75% of the time... they both failed at the same time, indicating it was just age, not wear)

So in my motorhome I have an AquaJet ARV and it’s just as good. I ordered two for the boat and all was great until one started lagging switching on... and it got worse. It was replaced under warranty but a year later the other one started doing it. I bought a Marco pump to replace it (Marco has great rep but pricy) but after a couple months of storage it worked normal again and still does a year later. I guess the threat of being replaced by a competing brand works

I would buy a Marco pump. These are gear pumps, very cool. Go2Marine has the best pricing like here: https://www.go2marine.com/Marco-UP3-...re-Pump-12-24V

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 18:27   #22

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Yes. I had one in my trailer for ten years.

Unfortunately, it would tend to cycle on and off as the variable speed mechanism tried to "chase" the amount of water usage. Start slow, speed up to full speed, shut off, repeat. Sometimes it would get it right and run a slow or medium speed to match water usage, but that was rare.

I think they struggle to find the right speed when there is any sort of elasticity/storage in the water system e.g. pipe/hose that is elastic or a bubble in the calorifier/water heater.

I would not buy another one
Old 09-06-2021, 20:26   #23

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

I had a variable pump that quit after six months. The reason I did not replace it with another variable is it was too quiet. I want to know when it is running like when someone takes too long a shower or there is a leak. the variable was almost quiet.
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 21:45   #24

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
When I had to replace our circa 2005 Shurflo fresh water pump a few years back I had read about the variable speed pumps and they sounded ideal. We only have a 3-4GPM pump and no accumulator. Doing a bit more research I recall finding a lot of negative comments on the longevity so I just went with a standard Shuflo Aqua King II. It's been fine since. I stuck with Shurflo mainly to make the swap simple. ".
+1.

I replaced our pump/accumulator tank with a Shurflo Aqua King II about 3 years ago. 1st pump had a factory fault and after calling Shurflo they just sent me a new pump on warranty along with a rebuild kit so the old one is now in spares. 2nd pump is on year 2 with no issues - but they like really clean water (ie. no grit to jam up the small rubber valves). Works well for 2 of us a live aboards.

I would not go back to an accumulator tank.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 22:42   #25

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
How do you get that sort of life from an accumulator?
We got about 3 years from a small jabso one
Replaced it with an 8 litre one from an irrigation shop and the bladder failed after 18mths.

Before that we had a variable speed pump but It didn't last any longer than the standard types.
There must be another factor in this.

We are still using our original accumulator tank - new with the boat in 2012.

A few years ago I decided as the pressure pump was unique on the boat (most other pumps on board, we have several of and could 'borrow' one from another location to get us by), that we should have a spare.
Went for the drop-in replacement variable speed Johnson, and took the original fixed speed out to sit in the box as a spare.

All good, and an improvement (not earth-shattering mind) on the fixed version.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:30   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

Basically the variable speed pump is just a normal DC driven, multi diaphragm, pump with some sort of electronic variable speed drive rather than just a pressure switch.

It appears from the various posts herein that the operating experience of folks who have tried the VS pumps is either very good or very bad which tends to indicate quality assurance problems with the manufacture. Unfortunately this appears to be a problem with a lot of the equipment manufactured for use in pleasure vessels. My first float switch on the bilge pump reliably switched the pump for about 15 years, after that I had to install a heavy duty relay to get them to last more than a year or so.

Consequently, whilst the variable speed concept has a lot of appeal it introduces more fairly complex electronics so I think I will stick to the extant fixed speed pump and continue with my DIY, industrial style, accumulator project.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:01   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thanks to everyone for the interesting perspectives. I guess this thread will be a good resource for others.

I noted the positive comments about variable speed pumps, and I sure like the idea of them. But there were enough bad comments about their reliability that I decided not to go that way. I'm really conservative about stuff like fresh water pumps -- this is the kind of gear which in my opinion needs to JUST WORK; it's not something I want to be messing around with while others are exploring a new country we just landed in. So I ordered another Johnson non-variable speed pump and another Jabsco accumulator tank. The accumulator tank lasted 20 years -- I'd say that's very good, and so I bought another one just like it.

Now I just need to figure out a pulse water meter.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:35   #28

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56

Just about four years now, on our Whale Watermaster automatic (variable speed) pump, and it's been a totally smooth experience (we're full-time live-aboards). Quiet running, and no hammering.

On our previous boat we had Shurflo's variable speed pump. It worked exceptionally well, but failed when the embedded pressure switch broke, and allowed water to flush right through. Changed the pressure switch out a couple of times, but eventually lost confidence in the pump.

We've got Shurflo's small accumulator tanks spread around the system, in both hulls, and Whale's pump works great with or without them.
Frode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:39   #29

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
There must be another factor in this.
Like what?
Buys gear, installs it, it died.

What causes bladders to split?
Have tried to find an answer, can't find much if anything online apart from symptoms of a split bladder, but not a cause.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 06:43   #30

Boat: Privilege 37

When my last pump went, I had a variable speed fitted. I retained the accumulator. They really do separate things.

The accumulator provides instant water on tap turn.

The variable speed accounts for how many taps are running.

If you only have one tap, there is no need for a variable speed, but there is still a need for the accumulator.

Tags
pump, water, water pump