Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2022, 09:27   #1

Vacuflush pumpout pulls additional water

when pumping out, the tank empties then additional water just keeps coming.
If you turn water pump off, and drain water from system the pumpout procedure appears normal.
I can't tell whether the additional water that continues past tank volume is from freshwater tank or saltwater from outside vent problem since I'm not willing to taste it.
My pal says its time to replace toilet seals. Is he right?
thanks in advance
Rickyc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 15:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Vacuflush pumpout pulls additional water

I see you've just joined our merry band...welcome aboard!

If you don't know whether the water is salt or fresh, it sounds like you're new to VacuFlush toilets too. It's designed to use onboard fresh water. However it's not impossible that a PO may have DIY'd the flush water intake plumbing to use sea water. That would require adding a remote intake pump. If there isn't one, it's safe to assume that it's fresh water...there'd be no other way for the water to be salt...and that the flow stops when you turn the water pump off confirms that it's fresh.

As for your pal's diagnosis...nope. Toilet seals (whatever he's referring to...there are several possibilities) have nothing to do with INCOMING water. I strongly suspect that two things are happening: the water valve (it's on the back of the top of the toilet bowl) has failed, not turning off after flushing and/or your tank vent is blocked...in which case the pumpout if pulling air in from wherever it can. Keeping in mind that unless your VF is a VHT system, the holding tank isn't a part of the VF system, it's separate from it.

What version is your VF system? How old is it?

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 18:09   #3

Thanks for your response. I'm not familiar with the acronym VHT so I could use a little enlightenment. To add to complication, I have a Purasan EX system installed too. I do not use it though it is functional. The extra water situation also started when using a screw in attachment on the pumpout deck fitting.,possibly creating more suction pressure than before.
Boat has 2 heads,1993 44' Ocean Alexander. Has had many owners and many expensive upgrades. I bought it a year ago and have only owned hot rod performance boats and many years sailboarding the Columbia Gorge. Yes I have alot to learn
Old 28-05-2022, 19:13   #4

Where do I find the model numbers etc? Can't find any related paperwork
Old 28-05-2022, 19:25   #5
Marine Service Provider

Hi again Ricky! The VacuFlush VHT has a combination vacuum tank/holding tank--hence the VHT designation...the WORST idea ever! I don't think it's still in production. Count your blessings you have a "normal" VacuFlush.

There's no way the screw-in attachment into the deck pumpout fitting had anything to do with extra water...pumpout connections have to be air tight to work.

I've written a piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how the system works and how much water it really needs to keep it working trouble free that I'll be glad to send you along with a copy of the VFlush trouble-shooting guide if you'll send me a PM (private message) that includes your email address (no way to attach anything here or to a PM).

Meanwhile...the Raritan PuraSan EX is an excellent onboard sewage treatment system (US Coast Guard certified Type I MSD) that's legal to use in all waters that are NOT designated "No Discharge Zones" Unless you're in NDZ waters, you'll love using it because eliminates the need to use your holding tank.The EPA publishes a list of those by state EPA NDZ list They keep it updated. You'll find Raritan's "promo sheet for it here Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet and the "Installation, Operation and Maintenance Instructions" (aka "owners manual") here Raritan PuraSan EX owners manual

And finally for now...at the risk of appearing to be trying to sell you something, I think you'll find my book (see link in my signature below..just click on the title) useful in learning how operate and maintain your toilets, tank and sanitation plumbing. Its title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to help solve problems and answer questions.

Oh...btw...It would be helpful to other members here if you'd provide a little more information about yourself--your location (at least your state or country if not US) and your boat (1993 44'Ocean Alexander). I also recommend that you check out the sister site to cruisersforum.com--trawlerforum.com That name is a little misleading too 'cuz the members aren't just trawler owners, many of them own large motor yachts. You can learn a lot from them!

--Peggie

P.s I'm still convinced that your excess water is due to a failed water valve.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 04:57   #6

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
Check the duckbill valves in the pump-out. It happened to me after missuse. I run the pump-out with closed seacock vane. That caused the duckbill to flip and of course no more watertight. So seawater could go back into waste tank.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 07:57   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I think there is some confusion afoot between vacuum pump out that empties the holding tank and a vacuflush system which sevices the waste water on board. If it is, as I suspect, a shore vacuum pump out, your most likely problem is a plugged holding tank vent.
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water