Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 14:14   #1

Vacuflush Pump Wont Stop

We have a 1987 SeaRay 41AC that is having issues with the Vacuflush pump that will just not stop pumping. I have been trouble shooting things and it still runs. I changed out the duckbills and it did not solve the problem, the toilets are holding water and the seals seem good. I was doing research and learned about the vacuum pressure switch. I tried to manually turn off the pump by releasing the pressure switch and it did not stop. The system is holding pressure because the switch clicks off and should stop the pump but it doesn't. I figured the switch was bad because alot of work has not been done by previous owners so I bought a new one and installed...but the tank built up pressure and the pump still did not turn off! Is this some type of electrical issue with the switch. Is there some type of fuse for it?? I am stumped. Or is the pump bad? But why would the pump not turn off???

Thanks!
ChampagneGlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 16:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Vacuflush Pump Wont Stop

If replacing the duckbills and the vacuum switch didn't work, the problem may be a small hole or rip the bellows or it could be an electrical problem. So I think it's time to talk with Dometic (who now owns Sealand). Give 'em a call: 800-321-9886 They'll give you the location of the nearest service center who'll help you trouble shoot it and sell you what if any parts you still need (they're not available from marine stores, only from an "authorized VF service center").

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 15:50   #3

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Welcome to the forum.

If the pump continues to run, then the system is not developing vacuum properly, or there is a leak.

This gauge is useful to determine the health of the system.

Turn on the system. It should develop vacuum quickly.

Turn off the system. It should maintain vacuum.

Common problems are: duckbill valves not sealing properly and leaks in the system.

Examine the duckbill valves. Ensure material is not obstructing a good seal, that there are not cuts or tears and that they properly close. Ensure the threaded duckbill parts are not excessively tightened, deforming the parts, preventing proper seal.

Use soapy water to spray around joints and seals to examine for leaks.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampagneGlade View Post
We have a 1987 SeaRay 41AC that is having issues with the Vacuflush pump that will just not stop pumping. I have been trouble shooting things and it still runs. I changed out the duckbills and it did not solve the problem, the toilets are holding water and the seals seem good. I was doing research and learned about the vacuum pressure switch. I tried to manually turn off the pump by releasing the pressure switch and it did not stop. The system is holding pressure because the switch clicks off and should stop the pump but it doesn't. I figured the switch was bad because alot of work has not been done by previous owners so I bought a new one and installed...but the tank built up pressure and the pump still did not turn off! Is this some type of electrical issue with the switch. Is there some type of fuse for it?? I am stumped. Or is the pump bad? But why would the pump not turn off???

Thanks!
If when you check the system, and you find that it is maintaining a vacuum and the vacuum is strong, then the problem lies with the vacuum tank and not the pump. At the end of the vacuum tank with the electrics in there is a breaker that has instructions not to adjust. This part is faulty and needs to be renewed.
I know you said you renewed it so it must be possible to switch off the pump from the breaker switch on the vacuum tank.

Ok, so you said it is not possible to switch off the pump by manually playing with the breaker. Do not play with the new one as it is easily damaged.
My advice would be to reinstall the old one and then manually release the breaker so the pump stops. It has to stop when you do this, it has no choice, you just manually cut the power at the breaker.

Ok, you said that when you did this manually at the breaker then it did not switch off, then it is wired up wrong or you did not manually release the pressure breaker.

But do these tests using the old one as the new one can be easily damaged. First reconfirm that it does not switch off when you release the pressure breaker on the vacuum tank, then the problem is in the wiring.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump