Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 02:58   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Unpickling Long Disused Watermaker

OK, so what everyone is saying is that it's not a big deal one way or the other, right?

750ppm is acceptable for drinking water -- like an extra pinch of salt (can be compensated by salting food less).

Changing membranes is a low risk operation -- just pop off the end caps.

OK, we'll discuss and decide. Thanks very much for the input!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 17:22   #32

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Hi Folks. I wanted to give a BIG THANKS to Tillie for giving me a heads up that pretty much prevented me from taking a Cannonball size bullet while recommissioning my very old Spectra 200 system. While replacing a leaky cylinder to end lock O-ring in the Clark pump I noticed the check valve seals were white plastic. Tillie said to swap them out for O-rings, and also 4 other annular ring seals that might be white plastic as they will eventually disintegrate wiping out the pump. They were the white ones and looked ok until I touched them and the disintegrated as forewarned by Tillie. Thanks Tillie for saving my sorry A$$.Click image for larger version

Name:	66406049617__A23CDE93-6825-4166-B406-66C46B3EADD5.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	251443
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 02:35   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
OK, so what everyone is saying is that it's not a big deal one way or the other, right?

750ppm is acceptable for drinking water -- like an extra pinch of salt (can be compensated by salting food less).

Changing membranes is a low risk operation -- just pop off the end caps.

OK, we'll discuss and decide. Thanks very much for the input!

I would be a bit more concerned with 750ppms. Though this is considered still consumable water a 750ppm reading is usually a good sign that something is amiss in your watermaker. Most all watermaker companies are looking for ppm readings under 500. 750ppm is telling us possible pressures or flow issues or a possible sign that the membrane is heading for failure.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 02:38   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Hi Folks. I wanted to give a BIG THANKS to Tillie for giving me a heads up that pretty much prevented me from taking a Cannonball size bullet while recommissioning my very old Spectra 200 system. While replacing a leaky cylinder to end lock O-ring in the Clark pump I noticed the check valve seals were white plastic. Tillie said to swap them out for O-rings, and also 4 other annular ring seals that might be white plastic as they will eventually disintegrate wiping out the pump. They were the white ones and looked ok until I touched them and the disintegrated as forewarned by Tillie. Thanks Tillie for saving my sorry A$$.Attachment 251443

No problem, this was a common thing for older Clark pumps. It wouldn't have physically harmed the pump but it would certainly affect its performance. If you have any questions on your pump re-build don't hesitate to ask.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker