Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 05:53   #16

Re: Unfreezing an old thru-hull fitting for a head

The OP never said he was 3 miles out, only he was going to use it for #1 only, no #2, so with a little reasoning one could deduce the usage, but hey if everything I type people want to challenge go after it, but I think as a society it would be ill advised to even think this setup (frozen or not) is acceptable. Challenge away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
When did they change the laws that one can't direct discharge 3 miles or more off shore? Could someone guide me to that, please?

From a single photo how can so much be determined as to the entire waste plumbing system?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 06:51   #17

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
The OP never said he was 3 miles out, only he was going to use it for #1 only, no #2, so with a little reasoning one could deduce the usage, but hey if everything I type people want to challenge go after it, but I think as a society it would be ill advised to even think this setup (frozen or not) is acceptable. Challenge away!
I'm sorry you feel challenged. After reading your comments on this thread your level of understanding is obvious.

Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 08:08   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
............. hey if everything I type people want to challenge go after it,............
The way you word your posts seems argumentative, that's why people seem to be challenging your posts.

Try to be a little nicer and your responses will be the same.
Old 29-10-2014, 08:21   #19

Hmmmm... one quick look at your responses to other posts and I think you are looking to be argumentative:
Re: Auto Pilot Failure. What would you do

It looks to me like you were upset and trying to get sympathy on a boating forum, not just looking for information.

I think the owner did the right thing, waiting until he was at a place where he...

-----
Re: There should be a database.....

That's just silly. I suspect you have an ax to grind but a database will do nothing. Nothing at all.

-----
Re: Dock water attachment

You can't be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The way you word your posts seems argumentative, that's why people seem to be challenging your posts.

Try to be a little nicer and your responses will be the same.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 08:24   #20

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel challenged. After reading your comments on this thread your level of understanding is obvious.

While I am not sorry you feel challenged, I will challenge you to not be dismissive, rude and obnoxious or maybe I'll challenge you to not pout and be a prat when getting called out for saying HI is not part of the states or maybe to pay attention to the fact that this was the OP's 1st post and you might choose to be a bit more welcoming.

You may that the moderators and CF policies for not having to read what I really think about you.

Velero64 stick around... everyone, except marlinmike, is happy you are here.

Any other silly comments?

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 09:08   #21

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Unfreezing an old thru-hull fitting for a head

Steve, who are your comments directed towards? I know where HI is! I don't have any problem with the OP or the limited amount of his sanitation system that can be seen from the photo.

Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 09:53   #22

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Steve, who are your comments directed towards? I know where HI is! I don't have any problem with the OP or the limited amount of his sanitation system that can be seen from the photo.

Sorry for the confusion...

I think you (rubikoop) and I are in agreement that marlinmike's comments came with a (very) less than friendly / unwelcoming tone.

My rant was directed at marlinmike.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:51   #23

Boat: Cheoy Lee Lion 35

So I double-checked this thru-hull and it is actually located BELOW the water line, not above like I had mentioned or pictured. That was for the sink right next to the toilet (duh). How would I go about changing it while it's in the water, or is that not realistic?
Velero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 15:03   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velero64 View Post
So I double-checked this thru-hull and it is actually located BELOW the water line, not above like I had mentioned or pictured. That was for the sink right next to the toilet (duh). How would I go about changing it while it's in the water, or is that not realistic?
I would be surprised to find a through hull for a sink mounted below the waterline but in any case, no, you cannot change it with the boat in the water.

If you feel really lucky you might be able to unscrew the seacock from the fitting and screw a replacement on without sinking the boat but it's not something I would try.
Old 01-12-2014, 19:24   #25

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
I would be surprised to find a through hull for a sink mounted below the waterline but in any case, no, you cannot change it with the boat in the water.

If you feel really lucky you might be able to unscrew the seacock from the fitting and screw a replacement on without sinking the boat but it's not something I would try.
This information is wrong. You can change a thru-hull in the water. Contact any diver who cleans bottoms, they typically charge by the hour, and it's typically a 1 hour job, so about $85 + materials.

It's also not that scary to open holes in your boat if you have an appropriately sized plug handy, even if your bilge pumps are grossly undersized you can plug it and let them catch up.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 20:14   #26

Quote:

On sailboats I've never had one above the waterline... or on a trawler....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 00:16   #27

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Personally I know you can change thru-hulls in the water, but I think it seals better, dry,sanded,scraped and backed with a backing block and bedded in with 4200 polycaulk.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:49   #28

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Judging by the photo, you have a boat that is way past ready for a refit. It is prudent to overhaul sea cocks with the boat hauled out. Cheoy Lee installed tapered bronze sea cocks on the Lions. These are simple to work on. But avoid the use of sharp steel tools and wire brushes.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, hull