Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 07:31   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 46
Type 1 MSD / Electro Scan / Lectrasan use abroad.

Good morning all!

I wanted to poll the crowd and see if I could get some real world input on how the rest of the world views the use of type one MSD's. There is an apparent trend in the US of restricting use, but I can seem to find any comprehensive source of information on their use in Europe, South America, Asia, and the South Pacific.

Links are appreciated, personal experience is preferred.

As a background, we are evaluating the installation of a Purasan on our boat as either a standalone system, or couple with a holding tank. We will be living aboard and cruising the Chesapeak and east coast of the US for the next few years before heading abroad.

Cheers!
Shawn and Frances
S/V Firefly
Bruce Roberts 46' Steel Cutter
AndDavRos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 20:50   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Type 1 MSD / Electro Scan / Lectrasan use abroad.

I have a Raritan electro scan. I sail the Chesapeake. If you consult a state's Department of Natural resources for the state waters that you are in you can find the No discharge zones that include type one discharge. There are not many. Some marinas have no discharge rules that include type one so be prepared to divert to a holding tank. I Have found that few people understand the type one devices and those folks are likely to say you cannot use them when that may not be true for your specific location.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 04:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

No Discharge Zones by State | Vessel Water Discharge | US EPA

Where You Live: Find No Discharge Programs | Vessel Water Discharge | US EPA

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 15:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

You'll be able to use a PuraSan in 90% of your planned cruising grounds in the US...Herring Bay is the only NDZ on whole Chesapeake Bay...very few between there and the FL Keys.

It took me a couple of days to find out how well treatment is accepted in Europe now...I've been hearing that Europeans are open to “better” systems than holding tanks, but not sure yet how that will go...depends on ratio of sensible people to enviro-zealots on the board that is looking into it... and it could take years to shake out. Raritan told me they've sold quite a few ElectroScans into France...att one time the Electroscan was even approved by the French government. They've also started selling a few into Turkey and someone in the UK who is looking into it who believes he can push to have it approved...eventually.

IMO, all that points to growing acceptance for treatment in Europe...better acceptance than here. I haven't even heard that South America is paying much attention to marine sanitation issues, so I'd guess you'd be able to use your PuraSan there too.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa