Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 16:45   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Trudesign fittings

I need to add a Y-valve and through hull and discovered Trudesign fittings from NZ online. They look quite spiffy and are decently priced. Anyone using them? What do you think? Not looking for suggestions to use bronze all of the other ones onboard are plastic and doing fine.
Old 10-03-2021, 17:04   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Trudesign fittings

We replaced all our hull fitting on our Lagoon 440 last year with True Design fitting except for the motor feeds and exhausts. I did a lot of research and found that they are accredited for boats and also accepted by the insurcance companies I deal with. Very strong and to date we have been very very happy with our decision.

Ozsailer
L440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 18:24   #3

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Very happy with ours. I replaced 12 below the water line, with the reinforcing collars, which are cheap, recommended. Overall, the system is a great value, and according to my research and experience I like them a lot. I would personally take them over highest quality bronze. Add to that that they are quite a good price, and it is an easy decision. Keep in mind that they are straight threads, not tapered. So it is best to use their tail fittings etc. I’ve never seen straight threads on such parts in a normal Marine store, so lay in a few spares (they are cheap!).
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Both Forespar [Marelon] and TrudDesign fittings are made of a glass-reinforced nylon polymer composite. Both are suitable for above and below waterline installation.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 17:39   #5

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
Very happy with ours. I replaced 12 below the water line, with the reinforcing collars, which are cheap, recommended. Overall, the system is a great value, and according to my research and experience I like them a lot. I would personally take them over highest quality bronze. Add to that that they are quite a good price, and it is an easy decision. Keep in mind that they are straight threads, not tapered. So it is best to use their tail fittings etc. I’ve never seen straight threads on such parts in a normal Marine store, so lay in a few spares (they are cheap!).
Straight threads are the only ones to use, especially for under water valves. Tapered only allow around 15 mm of thread to enter before binding. Straight allow the fitting to access the full length of the valve, making for a stronger joint.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 17:46   #6

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

TruDesign are the best. The Y valve has a clever user replaceable seal that can be replaced in minutes.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 11:31   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

We plan to replace 16 metal through hulls and related parts with TruDesign fittings this month. But we also have need of fittings that neither TruDesign nor Marelon offer, 45 degree fittings and "Tees". Thus far I have only found these in bronze.

Any sources for common plumbing fittings in glass filled polymer material?

Fortunately thread type is not a problem. I can convert any NPT (tapered) thread fittings to NPS (straight) threads in minutes using NPS taps.

Thank you
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 04:39   #8

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I have been thinking of replacing all my through-hull fittings and am between bronze Groco (or similar) and Trudesign. My only worry with Trudesign is that I regularly have to dive with a screwdriver to clean the intakes of my through-hulls to remove barnacles. Bronze can take the scraping, but I wonder if Trudesign can. I would be worried about scoring the ball in the valve and the walls.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 07:01   #9

Regarding straight threads, there is also the issue of BSP vs NPS. My European-built boat has Trudesign thru-hulls that are BSP so replacing any valves means tracking down BSP valves here in the land of NPS.
SweareDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 07:05   #10

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Can the grn thruhulls handle exhaust water temperatures?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 07:44   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Can the grn thruhulls handle exhaust water temperatures?

You mean lukewarm?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 07:46   #12

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Haha, I guess I don't actually know how hot that water gets.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 07:55   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
We plan to replace 16 metal through hulls and related parts with TruDesign fittings this month. But we also have need of fittings that neither TruDesign nor Marelon offer, 45 degree fittings and "Tees". Thus far I have only found these in bronze.

Any sources for common plumbing fittings in glass filled polymer material?

Fortunately thread type is not a problem. I can convert any NPT (tapered) thread fittings to NPS (straight) threads in minutes using NPS taps.

Thank you
Did you check the TruDesign website? Not all the fittings they make get imported to North America.