Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 22:04   #1

Tile for Diesel Heater

Hi All,

I’m looking for advice on what to use for adding tile to the wall behind a diesel heater to absorb the heat. There is a thread here regarding counter tops and using latex mortar and grout but I’d like to here how everyone else has done this.

Our current path is to use hardie board and porcelain tile. Hardie board is overlaid over the top of wood and the tile will be adhered over that. Hardie board will be secured with bolts and screws.

I have a concern developing that the hardie board and tile mounted vertically might be too heavy and with enough force or vibration the board might break or crack.

Thanks,

Ben
gorilliamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 22:18   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Tile for Diesel Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilliamos View Post
Hi All,

I’m looking for advice on what to use for adding tile to the wall behind a diesel heater to absorb the heat. There is a thread here regarding counter tops and using latex mortar and grout but I’d like to here how everyone else has done this.

Our current path is to use hardie board and porcelain tile. Hardie board is overlaid over the top of wood and the tile will be adhered over that. Hardie board will be secured with bolts and screws.

I have a concern developing that the hardie board and tile mounted vertically might be too heavy and with enough force or vibration the board might break or crack.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi, I would glue the board as well as screw it to the bulkhead, using the toughest flexible glue you can find then I would glue the tiles to the board with....wait for it.... silicone! Oh shock oh horror silicone on a boat, oh nooo. Silicone withstands high temps, sticks like s**t to a blanket, and I would grout it with silicone as well, for the same reasons plus its available in a range of colours. The only downside is that the tiles have to be held in place while the silicone sets up, tile spacers and bracing will do that job!
Now, flame on.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, heater