Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 17:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Thru Hulls Weeping

Good day folks

Oh wise ones. I have a request for some guidance.

I am sailing the boat back from Antigua to Halifax. That will be another write up for another day. 200 km to go.

It is an eight year old Lagoon 400. Ever since we have hit colder water, all three toiled discharge thru hulls have started to weep around the base where the inside nut meets flush with the hull. I suspect it is because the change of temperature has caused the plastic to contract a tiny bit Yes, they are plastic fittings because they are on the toilet system.

Two are weeping. One is a fairly good trickle. I am tempted to put a wrench on them and slightly tighten them (if I can) but worried about breaking or detaching the sealant a little bit.

When I arrive in Canada I must immediately go into a two week qurantine so will not be able to haul out and repair or replace.

Wondering if I am missing something here. Do you folks have any suggestions? Has anyone else gone through this? Just tighten and hope it doesn’t get worse?

On a side note, since things have cooled down, I have probably had 15 or so hose clamp fittings start to weep. It has been a daily search to find source of leaks and repair. Usually takes a couple of turns and all is better. Today was the water heater inlet fitting.

Anyways, I look forward to suggestions you may have.

Knot Safety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 18:40   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Thru Hulls Weeping

There are thousands, and thousands of boats that temperature cycle more than you have in the last two weeks without leaking. I have no doubt there are problems, but blaming "cold water" is NOT the answer.

Relax, you are not going to sink. You are going to need to haul when you get a chance and rebed those through hulls, and do it right this time.

As for your hose clamps, colder temperatures would make them TIGHTER not looser...

My bet is you are just working the boat harder than it has worked in the recent past and that is showing up construction and assembly defects that have been latent.

SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 18:50   #3

Boat: no longer cf member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
There are thousands, and thousands of boats that temperature cycle more than you have in the last two weeks without leaking. I have no doubt there are problems, but blaming "cold water" is NOT the answer.

Relax, you are not going to sink. You are going to need to haul when you get a chance and rebed those through hulls, and do it right this time.

As for your hose clamps, colder temperatures would make them TIGHTER not looser...

My bet is you are just working the boat harder than it has worked in the recent past and that is showing up construction and assembly defects that have been latent.
Yep. What he said.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 19:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If had to haul the boat, remove and re-bed them, I’d make sure they are the highest quality plastic thru hills available, and if they weren’t, I’d put in ones that were. Frankly I mistrust plastic thru hulls, but I can see where high quality ones may be as good as bronze. I like bronze over plastic just because I believe they are stronger as in outside force applied to one, but can see that the boat itself is plastic so plastic can be good.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 03:02   #5

Thanks guys. I fully intend to haul out as soon as I am able. I am actively looking for a boatyard around Halifax that can haul a cat. If anyone has recommendations please let me know.

But back to the issue at hand. Any suggestions for stopping or slowing the leaks now? One is probably pretty close to a litre an hour. The other two are just weeping but the bad one is a trickle
Old 23-05-2020, 04:10   #6

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Safety View Post
Good day folks

Oh wise ones. I have a request for some guidance.

I am sailing the boat back from Antigua to Halifax. That will be another write up for another day. 200 km to go.
If you are that close to the end of your passage, I wouldn’t do anything until I was in Halifax. During your two weeks, I think I would very carefully put a wrench on the nut to see if you can tighten it up a little. If the nut moves fairly easily then I would keep tightening until the leak slowed or stopped. If the nut does not turn, then I wouldn’t push it.

Do you have anything that may temporarily stop the leak? Perhaps that stick-like underwater epoxy putty (sort of like two sticks of play dough you mix together)? Any butyl sealant? I know some people have taken wax from a sealing ring in a homestyle toilet and rub that in areas to stop leaks. I don’t know if you have anything like that aboard.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 23-05-2020, 04:31   #7

Boat: 41' yawl

I’d weep too if I were a toilet thru hull.
chris95040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 06:02   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks guys. I fully intend to haul out as soon as I am able. I am actively looking for a boatyard around Halifax that can haul a cat. If anyone has recommendations please let me know.

But back to the issue at hand. Any suggestions for stopping or slowing the leaks now? One is probably pretty close to a litre an hour. The other two are just weeping but the bad one is a trickle

First of all, I think this is really alarming. The watertight integrity of the vessel is something which should not have any compromises. As others have said, the temperature has nothing to do with it. Something is wrong.

I would certainly not hesitate to tighten the through-hull nuts, but I doubt if that will fix anything. The tightness of the nut doesn't do much -- it's the integrity of the sealant.

You can replace through hulls in the water:

https://www.sail-world.com/news/2009...l-valve-at-sea

Or you can use those small umbrella shaped plugs -- forgot what they're called -- to plug the through hull, then screw the nut off, and seal the threads with hemp and plumber's paste, and maybe get some sikaflex under the the nut. This will have a bigger chance of success.

Hose clamps should not be leaking. Inspect the hoses for cracks under the clamps; cut off and put on fresh bit of hose if necessary. Inspect the clamps for deterioration, replace if necessary. Clamp down good with double clamps. Repeat until absolutely leak free.

Note that some years of Lagoons came with absolutely shockingly inappropriate BRASS ball valves and through hulls with design life in seawater of 5 years. You should check and see if maybe some of that hardware is deteriorating. If this stuff is brass, it should ALL be urgent3ly replaced for bronze, or best quality glass reinforced resin like Forespar.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:22   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wouldn’t do anything until I was ready to haul, a Liter an hour sounds like a lot to me, and I am not saying it’s cracked but my luck it would be and trying to tighten it would break it, and then you would be wishing for a Liter an hour, then you have to plug it with something or dive and put a sheet of plastic on the outside.
I certainly wouldn’t mess with it underway.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I wouldn’t do anything until I was ready to haul, a Liter an hour sounds like a lot to me, and I am not saying it’s cracked but my luck it would be and trying to tighten it would break it, and then you would be wishing for a Liter an hour, then you have to plug it with something or dive and put a sheet of plastic on the outside.
I certainly wouldn’t mess with it underway.
+1 on that. You are aware of it and can monitor presumably. I would leave alone while monitoring until you are somewhere with resources and replacement parts to repair properly. You do have wood plugs on board right?

~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 07:59   #11

Lots of plugs on board. The issue is it’s leaking between the hull and the nut. Plugging won’t help much unless I knock the whole thing out and plug the hole without the thru haul in it

You folks have the exact same concern as me - and why I have not touched them yet - what if I make it worse.

I know others disagree, but I believe the change from 30 Celsius every day to 7 Celsius has caused the plastic fittings to contract ever so much. And why I suddenly have all these problems with plastic connections and thru hulls. The bronze ones are all good for now.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:49   #12

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

That really isn’t a huge temp difference so it sounds like the sealant has or is failing.
Old 23-05-2020, 12:41   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Lots of plugs on board. The issue is it’s leaking between the hull and the nut. Plugging won’t help much unless I knock the whole thing out and plug the hole without the thru haul in it

You folks have the exact same concern as me - and why I have not touched them yet - what if I make it worse.

I know others disagree, but I believe the change from 30 Celsius every day to 7 Celsius has caused the plastic fittings to contract ever so much. And why I suddenly have all these problems with plastic connections and thru hulls. The bronze ones are all good for now.
Plugs could make a huge difference, what I would be afraid of is the threaded tubular part that penetrates the hull, that the nut tightens on is cracked, and being cracked this has loosened the fit and now it leaks, if you tried to tighten it, then the whole thing could break off, and you would need that plug. The threaded part is likely the thinnest, and threads do significantly weaken a part, as they are stress risers. Many Thru hulls are very thin at the bottom of the threads.
I’m such a pessimist that I would preposition a plug near but not in the compartment the thru hulls are in, along with a tool to hit them with.
I have never had to plug a hole, but am under the belief that a Nerf football would be a good temporary plug, until you get the wooden one and a hammer etc.

Only way temp changes should matter is if there are large differences in the coefficient of expansion of the two materials, there likely is between the Bronze ones and the hull, but likely aren’t between the plastic thru hull and the plastic hull. So if it was temp causing a leak, then I would expect the Bronze ones to be leaking.
Old 23-05-2020, 16:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Plugs could make a huge difference, what I would be afraid of is the threaded tubular part that penetrates the hull, that the nut tightens on is cracked, and being cracked this has loosened the fit and now it leaks, if you tried to tighten it, then the whole thing could break off, and you would need that plug. The threaded part is likely the thinnest, and threads do significantly weaken a part, as they are stress risers. Many Thru hulls are very thin at the bottom of the threads.
I’m such a pessimist that I would preposition a plug near but not in the compartment the thru hulls are in, along with a tool to hit them with.
I have never had to plug a hole, but am under the belief that a Nerf football would be a good temporary plug, until you get the wooden one and a hammer etc.

Only way temp changes should matter is if there are large differences in the coefficient of expansion of the two materials, there likely is between the Bronze ones and the hull, but likely aren’t between the plastic thru hull and the plastic hull. So if it was temp causing a leak, then I would expect the Bronze ones to be leaking.
+1 The plugs are in case you fiddle with it and it breaks, not to solve the weeping.

AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, thru hull