Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 11:33   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Through-hull: stay or go?

I'm in the process of replacing my Alberg 30's manual marine toilet with a compost-style head, so am considering how to deal with the no-longer-needed through-hull that formerly acted as the toilet's water intake. I'm leaning toward closing it permanently (fewer through-hulls just seems intuitively to be a good thing), but I'm also aware that there could be a future need for it, and don't want to regret giving it up.

I am a novice, and would appreciate the perspectives of more experienced forum users:
-What should I be considering in my decision whether to seal it off or not?
-If I do seal it permanently, suggestions for how to do so?
-If I don't seal it permanently, suggestions for any temporary measures I should take (beyond just keeping the valve closed)?

Thanks in advance, for your wisdom!
Shirley
Ariose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:55   #2

Re: Through-hull: stay or go?

Cap it and exercise it regularly. Use the boat for a while before you decide to remove it. This is similar to many folks with new-to-them boats who plan to do all sorts of "stuff" to the boats before they actually use them, and many regret the "improvements" they made which turned out to be not-so-smart.

Patience.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:40   #3

Boat: Alberg #0

I also have an alberg30. If you'd ever like a watermaker, that under-berth locker is an ideal location and a short run to the water tank. Also, poss deck wash for anchor/chain.

Just thinking out loud. Hope it helps.

Paul.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 14:59   #4

Save it until you are absolutely sure you like the composting head.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:10   #5

marelon throughhull with threaded cap
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:21   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Cap it and exercise it regularly. Use the boat for a while before you decide to remove it. This is similar to many folks with new-to-them boats who plan to do all sorts of "stuff" to the boats before they actually use them, and many regret the "improvements" they made which turned out to be not-so-smart.

Patience.
+ 1

If this boat is new to you, address the survey deficiencies (properly), and live with the boat as is for at least one year of frequent sailing.

Use the existing head with shore side pump out services.

If the boat is not new to you, and you have been using shore side pump out service for some time, leave the through hull (properly capped) until you are positive you like the composting head.

This way, if you (or other influencing person) decide handling your bio waste is undesirable, you can easily switch back.

Either way, any unused thruhull should be locked closed. Any unused through hull without connected plumbing should be locked closed and capped. Any unused thruhull that will never, ever be used again, should be removed and filled properly.

Warning: Those with little fibreglass repair experience, should not attempt work that potentially affects hull integrity and safety of the vessel (such as filling a thruhull opening.

Just because you saw it on YouTube, doesn't mean the presenter is showing proper methods, nor you can do it too, even if shown correctly.

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:26   #7

Boat: Island Packet 31

I have a compost head in my IP 31. It was installed when I bought this boat. I considered having the thru hull removed, glad I didn't! Last week I installed a wash down system, using the thru hull to draw water, works like a champ. I removed the deck waste fitting and installed my wash down hose connection so I wouldn't have to make another hole in my deck. All work fine! My thru hull has been capped for the last 6 years with no problem! I would leave it alone for now.
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:55   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Removing an existing thru hull is far more difficult than it might seem. You can't just stuff some fiberglass in the hole and paint over it. You need to grind out around the hole and taper the fiberglass out to several inches (it depends on the size of the hole) and then fill it in using different sized pieces of fiberglass cloth. Search the Internet for details.

It is far easier to just cap off the fitting (or the valve) and leave everything in place.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:27   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I would cap it rather than remove it. Someday you may want to sell the boat, and the new owner will likely want that through hull.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:33   #10

Boat: Alberg 30

What a great resource this Cruisers & Sailing Forum is! I joined less than 24 hours ago, posted my first question (probably 1st of many!!), and got over 1/2 dozen really helpful words of experience, including thoughts from a fellow Alberg 30er! Thanks, everyone.

The many cautions about jumping into "improvements" that may be regretted makes sense, and although some of the suggestions about possible uses for this through-hull are things that I think are unlikely I would want, life does take unanticipated twists and turns that have a way of turning "unlikely" into reality. Who knows, a watermaker or deck wash may someday be just the thing. The "live with it" advice might be wise for other projects on the wish list as well.

I am going to cap it off and keep the through-hull.
Thanks.
Ariose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 19:24   #11

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariose View Post
What a great resource this Cruisers & Sailing Forum is! I joined less than 24 hours ago, posted my first question (probably 1st of many!!), and got over 1/2 dozen really helpful words of experience, including thoughts from a fellow Alberg 30er! Thanks, everyone.

The many cautions about jumping into "improvements" that may be regretted makes sense, and although some of the suggestions about possible uses for this through-hull are things that I think are unlikely I would want, life does take unanticipated twists and turns that have a way of turning "unlikely" into reality. Who knows, a watermaker or deck wash may someday be just the thing. The "live with it" advice might be wise for other projects on the wish list as well.

I am going to cap it off and keep the through-hull.
Thanks.
correct... this is a great resource. your post saved me a lot of work, thinking of doing the same thing this spring. thanx
Old 10-02-2016, 20:28   #12

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Removing an existing thru hull is far more difficult than it might seem. You can't just stuff some fiberglass in the hole and paint over it.
I thought you could fix anything, with enough duct tape...
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 20:35   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I capped mine. As with all through-hulls, as long as nothing heavy might fall on it in case you are thrown around, I think it's a better call for now.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:25   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Leave the thru hull. Not everyone likes composting toilets. It allows a new owner an easy option of reinstalling a marine toilet.
I have a 1942 boat with several thru hulls no longer used. They're capped and have wood plugs driven from the outside.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I capped mine. As with all through-hulls, as long as nothing heavy might fall on it in case you are thrown around, I think it's a better call for now.
In use or not, if something might fall and break the thru hull, you need to do something about it.

As to the original question, no need to rush. Just cap it and close the valve.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull