Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2022, 11:25   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
Through hull size for seawater faucet in the galley?

Hi all.

I am about to add a faucet for seawater and will install a new through hull and seacock for the purpose.

My first thougt was to go with the smallest Trudesign through hull and secock. That is 1/2" and will fit a 1/2" hose.

Now I wonder if this is too small?

I do not need a lot of pressure. Just enough to clean dishes, wash hands and such to save fresh water.

I will install an electric pump and a strainer, but I am unsure what pump and strainer to use?

Any suggestions for a god setup?

Questions listed:
  1. Through hull a seacock size?
  2. Strainer?
  3. Pump type?
Thanks!
kjemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:35   #2

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Re: Through hull size for seawater faucet in the galley?

1/2" is more than enough.

Strainer definitely or pump will be blocked up in no time.

30psi/2bar, somewhere around 4gpm, Jabsco or similar would do a great job.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:59   #3

Boat: Norseman 447

1/2” I more than big enough for the water. BUT, I’ve been in several places where, at certain times of the year, there are lots of small fish, usually about 2” long. They hide in the throughhull and when I pump, they get sucked into the 1/2” hose barbs. Then it’s take everything apart to extricate them. That’s with a 1” throughhull and 3/4” hose. I finally upsized everything so they’d get caught in the strainer.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 23:20   #4

Larger thru hulls are easier to clean, and will continue to pass enough water even when partially clogged.
You may have more water needs in the future, wouldn’t it be great to already have the increased capacity at the intake?
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:36   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

This link may help.
Cheers/Len

https://marinehowto.com/seacock-thru-hull-primer/
Old 04-03-2022, 01:51   #6

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

It doesn't need to be any larger than the outlet.If small fish are an issue ( I've never head of that particular problem) then you can fit an external filter over the inlet, similar to what is used on the engine raw water inlet, something like this which I have seen in plastic as well.

https://www.marineselectionitems.com...120x80mm-black
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:55   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Eleuthera, 60ft

My suggestion is don't add another potential source of seawater ingress to your vessel. Find another seawater intake and install a Tee after the stop cock. Most likely your head is flushed with seawater. Take the seawater from there. Go to your marine supply store and purchase a Jabsco Par Max 2 or similar 2 GPM with a 35 psi shut off pressure switch (built in). The box illustrates everything you are asking. Inlet strainer is included and hose size needed to do the job. (1/2" ID)
Cheers
Lawrence
OnePapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:50   #8

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I 2nd, Don't Add Through Hull! the sea water faucet draws little flow, usually none since it is not in use. you can T into just about any seawater intake at least cost and hassle and RISK! even the engine raw water would be okay and definitely preferred over another hole in the boat!
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:59   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Use the same size thru-hull as the water intake for the toilet raw water intake.

DO NOT put a strainer on the outside of the boat as suggested. Strainers are only suitable for boats where the boat is hauled after each use so you can clean it (i.e. trailered boats or boats in a hoist.)

I agree with the suggestion of making it a size BIGGER to allow for reduced flow from growth, and making it easier to clean. Especially since it will not be flowing consistently (unlike an engine raw water cooling intake ...)

My boat has all 3/4" thru hulls with the exception of the 1" holding tank macerator dump overboard.

Do not use plastic thru hulls (!!) These are for use only above the water line.

I replaced ALL of my thru hulls last November utilizing Groco bronze thru hulls,. I bonded Groco backing plates to the inside of the hull. The plates have threaded inserts in them. I then threaded a Groco bronze flanged adapter down onto the thru-hull fitting and bolted it to the flange with stainless machine bolts and 3M 4000 sealant in between everything.

Finally a Groco bronze in-line ball valve was threaded down onto the flange thread with teflon tape at the threads.

This (IMHO) is the proper way to install a thru hull. You could drop an anchor on the valve and it will not break off. Many "boat mechanics" will install a normal thru hull and then just attach the ball valve directly to the fitting. The thru hull fitting wall thickness with the threads cut into it is too thin and you could snap it off just by kicking it.

Groco flange: https://www.groco.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=ibvf

Groco Backing Plate: https://www.groco.net/bb-1

Thru hull: https://www.groco.net/products/fitti...ings/th-series

In line valve: https://www.groco.net/ibv-1000

Cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:08   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjemmo View Post
Hi all.

I am about to add a faucet for seawater and will install a new through hull and seacock for the purpose.

My first thougt was to go with the smallest Trudesign through hull and secock. That is 1/2" and will fit a 1/2" hose.

Now I wonder if this is too small?

I do not need a lot of pressure. Just enough to clean dishes, wash hands and such to save fresh water.

I will install an electric pump and a strainer, but I am unsure what pump and strainer to use?

Any suggestions for a god setup?

Questions listed:
  1. Through hull a seacock size?
  2. Strainer?
  3. Pump type?
Thanks!
Shortly after taking possession of my new-to-me boat I removed the salt water manual foot pumps (they were inoperative and heavily corroded) to the galley and head...I sold them for parts.

I was surprised to see that the raw water source was a "T" off the engine raw water cooling hose between the seacock and engine filter. I presume the choice was because of its nearness to the galley. I used a barbed coupler to reconnect the engine raw water hose.

If available I think the use of a "T" off of a present seacock hose would be the easiest and most cost effective solution. One less hole in the hull is always a plus.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, hull, size, water