Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2023, 11:28   #16

Boat: Regina 43
Re: Thinking about swapping Jabsco Electric Conversion Pump too a manual pump YES / N

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Over 30yrs and I've only replaced one joker valve. Once a year I remove it and soak it overnight in vinegar, wash of the crust and reinstall. Perhaps your diet is different
I do like spicy food, but all joking aside mine start allowing backflow within 2 months no matter how I clean them. You can see when they are gone when you look through them and see a bit of day light leaking through.

Of course if you are pumping directly out to sea and not filling the holding tank close to full ever then a so so joker wont cause you any issue.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 11:46   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Thinking about swapping Jabsco Electric Conversion Pump too a manual pump YES / N

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Over 30yrs and I've only replaced one joker valve. Once a year I remove it and soak it overnight in vinegar, wash of the crust and reinstall. Perhaps your diet is different
Close here, the Skipper is going on 30 years and it just got its 3rd Joker, but the previous one is good enough to keep as a spare.

If the number of threads/posts about Jabsco toilet problems are any indication, the best replacement part is a new one, and perhaps an extra spare for when the new one starts leaking after a short time.

A friendly word to Jabsco.
"A man's, (company,) gotta know his limitations", (Dirty Harry).
Do what you do, (or did,) best.
Just build the Peters & Russel pumps, and with modern equipment you could do so at a price so people could buy them without taking out a second mortgage.
Old 26-01-2023, 03:23   #18

My experience with the manual Jabsco is 100% positive. We have two on board, have been full time live aboard cruisers for 10 years. Get lubricated every couple weeks, get maintenance every 12 months. Simple, robust machines. They just work. You could not give me an electric conversion.

I honestly do not understand how anybody could have problems with them.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 04:19   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
I do like spicy food, but all joking aside mine start allowing backflow within 2 months no matter how I clean them. You can see when they are gone when you look through them and see a bit of day light leaking through.

Of course if you are pumping directly out to sea and not filling the holding tank close to full ever then a so so joker wont cause you any issue.
We have a 60 gallon holding tank and spend 5 months per year in the Great Lakes where discharge is prohibited.
Old 26-01-2023, 05:42   #20

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

We swapped out our Jabsco manual with a Jabsco electric conversion 2 years ago. Since then, have spent 8 months and 7,000 miles on the boat. Push the button and flush, nothing more to it. The admiral couldn't be happier!

With regards to joker valves, Practical Sailor did a piece a few years ago about antifreeze. While pink antifreeze is safe for mammals, it is absolutely horrendous on shipboard systems, and joker valves in particular. With the exception of potable plumbing systems, pink antifreeze should never be used on a boat.

And with regards to the environment, when diluted (ie, pumped pumped board in the spring), pink and green have an almost identical footprint. Neither are toxic, and have about the same oxygen demand. Using pink antifreeze for the engine, saltwater washdowns, the head, and other non-potable systems is bad for the systems with no positive effect on the environment.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 12:22   #21

Boat: Regina 43

Well something ain’t right cause our jokers do allow back flow if there is substantial effluent in the pump out line. We also have two 60l gravity discharge tanks. As I say the twist and lock sorts it for us so it’s not a huge issue, but it is an issue.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, jabsco, pump