Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 17:20   #1

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46
The odoriferous marine toilet...

peee-uuuuu

...we live aboard, so I don't think the stench emanating from our Raritan PHII marine head (on the inlet circuit) is from stagnant water, as there is a fairly reasonable daily flow rate

..thinking of purchasing a 'Commoderizer' unit to try and detox whatever is growing and dying and smelling things up.. does anyone have experience with these units?

I have also thought of putting trichlor tablets (slow release swimming pool chemical) into the inlet strainer filter body - would that work (and save me from spending US$200 on a commoderizer)?

any and all ideas appreciated

cheers

Dan
po46camelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:43   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: The odoriferous marine toilet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by po46camelot View Post
peee-uuuuu

...we live aboard, so I don't think the stench emanating from our Raritan PHII marine head (on the inlet circuit) is from stagnant water, as there is a fairly reasonable daily flow rate

..thinking of purchasing a 'Commoderizer' unit to try and detox whatever is growing and dying and smelling things up.. does anyone have experience with these units?

I have also thought of putting trichlor tablets (slow release swimming pool chemical) into the inlet strainer filter body - would that work (and save me from spending US$200 on a commoderizer)?

any and all ideas appreciated

cheers

Dan
Its not your toilet that stinks its the hoses. Change em all.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Replacing hoses won't do a thing for odor emanating from the toilet bowl!

Sounds like your toilet has pulled in some animal or vegetable sea life that's died and is decaying somewhere in the intake line, pump and/or channel in the rim of the bowl. If you're seeing black flecks in the bowl when you flush, it's a guarantee that's the source of your odor.

Remove the intake hose from the thru-hull (it would be a good idea to close the seacock first) and stick into a bucket of clean fresh water to which you've added a liter of distilled white vinegar. Flush the whole bucketful through the toilet. You may have to do this twice. Unless the culprit managed to make it all the way through to the rim of the bowl, that SHOULD cure the problem. If it doesn't, send me a PM...we'll need to sort out how to get rid of it. To prevent a recurrence, put a strainer on the intake line.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:59   #4

i wondered about that- but they are all less than 2 years old and are the more expensive versions that are 'supposed' to be more odor resistant... and the smell only seems to be generated after about the 10th pump of the handle.. . that said, if that will work it would be an easy fix... (not too much on the inlet side of the circuit to replace)
cheers
Old 06-11-2017, 18:14   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Follow Peggy's advice and then buy her book.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 18:25   #6

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Do NOT put trichlor tabs in the intake strainer. You will likely sink the boat. The concentrated CL and gas will destroy metal, plastic, rubber, hoses, seals, joker valves, flappers, springs...... But,,, it wont stink!
Old 06-11-2017, 18:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I went through that. A fine mesh strainer was what finally prevented the odor.
With me it was long strands of thin sea grass that got through the old strainer. As Peggie described they got into the rim of the bowl and rotted. What a stink!

The best way to prevent intake side smell is to flush with fresh water. That's a whole other thread, and more money.

If you didn't know, Peggie wrote a great book on marine sanitation systems. You can get the digital version for about ten bucks.
Old 06-11-2017, 18:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

The best way to prevent intake side smell is to flush with fresh water. That's a whole other thread, and more money.

Doesn't have to be..rerouting the head intake line to tee it into the head sink drain line can be done for only the price of a tee or wye fitting. Discussed in detail in my book that you were kind enough to plug, for which I thank you!
Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself."
Old 06-11-2017, 19:45   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post

Doesn't have to be..rerouting the head intake line to tee it into the head sink drain line can be done for only the price of a tee or wye fitting. Discussed in detail in my book that you were kind enough to plug, for which I thank you!
Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself."
You're right Peggie. I forgot the sink drain trick that you taught me.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:01   #10

Thanks Peggie. Yes there were black flecks coming out while pumping the head. I had already cleaned a lot of black slime from the inline strainer but it still smelled when I wrote that today. I have now run 2buckets full of the vinegar solution through the head and will let it sit a few hours before next use. Fingers crossed!
Cheers
Dan
Old 07-11-2017, 04:56   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Yes, you can use Peggie's trick but since you actually live on the boat, it might pay to invest in a proper fresh water flush toilet and be done with the problem forever.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:43   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by po46camelot View Post
... and the smell only seems to be generated after about the 10th pump of the handle..
This right here tells you that it's critters in your intake hose. A few pumps to get water moving, then you're pulling in the stinky water.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

I had already cleaned a lot of black slime from the inline strainer but it still smelled when I wrote that today.

"A lot of the black slime" isn't enough...a dozen buckets of vinegar and water wouldn't be enough to eliminate the odor as long as any remains in it. The strainer needs to be completely cleaned out, which may require removing it. Strainers also require some maintenance--periodic routine cleaning to prevent odor problems from buildup of the stuff it keeps out of your toilet and pump.
Old 07-11-2017, 15:41   #14

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Not sure why you "standard marine head" people put up with all that. I've had a Nature's Head for > 9 months, and I would never go back.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 18:31   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
Not sure why you "standard marine head" people put up with all that. I've had a Nature's Head for > 9 months, and I would never go back.
The idea of a human litter box is disgusting to me. To each his own.

Tags
marine, odor, oil