Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2021, 17:55   #61

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: The great impeller scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
J****c*****! what are you doing to get through brakes that fast? My Audi A4 Quattro 3.0tdi (uprated to 275Hp, 0-60 in 6.9 secs) does about 18,000miles a year and I get about 45,000miles or more out of my pads and disks and when it comes to replace them, it costs about £280 per axle. (about £500 plus all round). It would be cheaper still if I did them myself but my local garage is very reasonable and only charges about £40/hr, even less if I happen to be around to help out (it's much easier with the car up in the air on a hoist)

Note: I am not a sedate driver by any means but I think ahead and use the S-tronic gearbox to slow down and be in the correct gear to make a fast pickup.
If I had to do a full brake server for my Nissan GTR at the dealership it is about $8000. Carbon/Carbon brakes are a hoot, but the cost makes my 911 look good.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 21:54   #62

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
You need to pick up the tools and do it yourself more like.

The cost to replace the brakes all around and do a fluid flush on my rodded 930 is a few hundred and an afternoon.

And I do 0-60 in 3 and 60-0 in about the same, especially at turn 11 going into Thunder Valley

I don’t work on my dd only the sports car and it has wilwood breaks
Old 11-09-2021, 22:38   #63
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Don't disconnect the power source
It seems Russian007 didn’t like these answers because he went silent…

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 00:00   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
They only deliver to Canada or the USA ...
There is a way around that.

I was recently faced with the same problem, trying to order some unique SS hardware from McMaster-Carr, for my dinghy build. I live in Australia, and McMaster-Carr refuse to ship to Australia.. (some bull-**** excuse about US government regulations that are a pain in the arse for them to comply with). Yes, I tried for weeks to source the same or similar items in Australia (or anywhere else for that matter) but could find nothing equivalent that was even remotely like what I wanted.

So I signed up (for free) with a freight-forwarding company (in my case, Shipito, but there are others) which provided me with a US-based mailing address in California, from which they then forward my packages to me.

When the goods arrived at their warehouse, they emailed me several photos of the package at no charge (for a fee, they will open the package and take photos of the contents), which gave me the chance to decide if the packaging was of sufficient quality for international shipping (for a fee, they offer several levels of repacking if you deem it necessary. They can also repackage several small packages into one larger one, if you want to reduce shipping costs). In my case, I decided I wanted the package to be taped up better, which they did for a very reasonable fee.

I provided the necessary details for the customs declaration (for a fee, they'll even take care of this for you) and within 24 hours of them receiving it, my package was on its' way to Oz. And those bull-**** regulations were apparently no problem at all for them.

Yes, international shipping charges aren't fantastic, but that's always the case, and I was extremely pleased with the service I received.

Old 12-09-2021, 00:17   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
no I think everybody already knows shipping is a scam. Found some made in china ones for 8USD a piece inc shipping so will see. Interesting about the cars though LOL
There's a reason China is able to send so many items "free shipping" or "shipping included".

They take unfair advantage of a loophole in international postage agreements, such that the actual costs involved must be eaten by the postal service in the destination country. So yeah.. even "free" shipping from China is a scam, but the entity being scammed is your postal service, instead of you. How much longer the rest of the world will put up with this, remains to be seen.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:55   #66
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The great impeller scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
There's a reason China is able to send so many items "free shipping" or "shipping included".

They take unfair advantage of a loophole in international postage agreements, such that the actual costs involved must be eaten by the postal service in the destination country. So yeah.. even "free" shipping from China is a scam, but the entity being scammed is your postal service, instead of you. How much longer the rest of the world will put up with this, remains to be seen.

It’s not a scam nor a loophole. China has had “ developing country “ status at the international postal union. , (agreed by all participants ) this provides for subsidised postal services or part paid by the receivers country.

That “ advantage “ is being phased out over the next 4 years ( it started in 2020) so the era of cheap postal rates from China is drawing to an end.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:12   #67

My experience with all electric water pumps, (and electric motors in general) is use them or lose them.

None of them like to sit unused.
Old 16-09-2021, 10:03   #68

Talking Re: The great impeller scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
My experience with all electric water pumps, (and electric motors in general) is use them or lose them.

None of them like to sit unused.

Just a thought considering how much you've been spending

....why not buy a 3d printer & just print the parts you need in ABS plastic, handy for most parts & no matter where you are instant spare parts!
zax1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 02:02   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It seems Russian007 didn’t like these answers because he went silent…
You trollin' me bro?
I only know what a friend, head Service Writer of an LA Jag/Land Rover dealership discussed with me last week re the problems of opening an independent garage in the 2021. About half of dealer profits come from service/parts. Carry on though with your Ebay multimeter and super glue for your workarounds.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 02:04   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s not a scam nor a loophole. China has had “ developing country “ status at the international postal union. , (agreed by all participants ) this provides for subsidised postal services or part paid by the receivers country.

That “ advantage “ is being phased out over the next 4 years ( it started in 2020) so the era of cheap postal rates from China is drawing to an end.
And just like that I feel the primal urge to surf over to Amazon and buy more stuff I don't need.
Old 17-09-2021, 02:05   #71
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
You trollin' me bro?
I only know what a friend, head Service Writer of an LA Jag/Land Rover dealership discussed with me last week re the problems of opening an independent garage in the 2021. About half of dealer profits come from service/parts. Carry on though with your Ebay multimeter and super glue for your workarounds.
Bless your heart my friend

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 02:08   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
There is a way around that.

I was recently faced with the same problem, trying to order some unique SS hardware from McMaster-Carr, for my dinghy build.
M-Carr is a tight operation. Always had great results with them. Found some really obsure stuff. Probably worth the custom fees.
Old 17-09-2021, 05:26   #73

Quote:
M-Carr is a tight operation. Always had great results with them. Found some really obsure stuff.
Yep, from what I've seen, if you're trying to source something a bit out of the ordinary, there's a good chance they'll have it.

Quote:
Probably worth the custom fees.
I certainly thought so.