Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 10:24   #16

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Tankless Propane Water Heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That's a great quote... I need to borrow that one! Should be used a lot on this forum!
Feel free...I'm not smarter than my quotes (probably stolen from some other great mind)...but I am smarter than the hose clamps and wiring on my boat...at least I think so and until they start posting....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 13:53   #17

Boat: 62' Custom Aluminum Cat built in New Zealand

Thanks for all the great input and suggestions! We are going to go for it and will post again when it's working.
SailElcie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 14:12   #18

Boat: Nassau 34

To the guys using the Excel units, any idea what the propane usage you have, say on the average, per month just for the water heater?
Old 19-07-2012, 14:36   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemansailor View Post
To the guys using the Excel units, any idea what the propane usage you have, say on the average, per month just for the water heater?
We use less hot water in the summer months, but I think our 10lb tank lasts about 4-5 months. We shower on board instead of the marina and I sometimes use hot water for the dishes.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 15:54   #20

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
We use less hot water in the summer months, but I think our 10lb tank lasts about 4-5 months. We shower on board instead of the marina and I sometimes use hot water for the dishes.
two and a half gallons of propane lasts 4-5 months with regular showering? I would love to see the BTU's versus gallons of water possible....

sounds WAYYYYYY low.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 16:50   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

My Daddy always told me the first rule in training a dog is you must be smarter then the dog !! I sorta think this applys to folks installing equipment on there boats!! Ive found over the years that most equipment that works badly, was installed without even reading the instuctions!! I helped a fella down the Bayou a couple of mos ago to re-install his propane hot water heater, lets just say that it works now ! and all that was needed was someone to read the instructions and reinstall properly!! I find that checking the instructions is VERY helpfull LOL yall should try it sometimes !! some of the propane heaters are not able to be mounted INSIDE the boat !! they need better air circulation then can be gotten inside the vessel!! anyway they do work well and safely if properly installed ! Just sayin read first install later !! just my 2 cents
Old 19-07-2012, 16:54   #22

Boat: Hudson Force 50

I have a tankless propane heater on my Hudson Force 50. I chose to mount it outside to eliminate exhaust issues. It is on my mizzen mast and works great. It is great for filling the bath tub. There is no way any small water heater could fill our tub. Let us know how it all works out.

The Witchdoctor
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 17:00   #23

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

I used a VENTED Paloma tankless water heater for many years, and I have one new in the box (no longer available) that I will install during the next few months as I near the end of an extensive refit/rebuild.

Anyway as for the Excel, their Web site clearly states:

Perfect for Sailboats and Cabin Cruisers with active ventilation systems in place. For More info on adequate ventilation practices for boats , RV's and mobile homes please link to: West Marine Boat Parts, Boat Accessories, Sailing Gear and Boating Apparel In West Advisor use the Searchword: Ventilation

Living aboard and cruising with propane provided some welcome "home" comforts, but I made ventilation a top priority (I used a propane stove too); I wouldn't consider using a propane device without substantial ventilation. Moreover, being an organic fuel, unvented propane soils interior surfaces.

Roger
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12   #24

Sorry to jump on an old thread. My worry is about hot water in the winter. These claim a temperature increase of 35-45 degrees. At winter time, that means we dont' get water hotter then 85-90?
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 15:14   #25

Not sure, but I would think if it was marginal you could slow down the flow a tad...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:19   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I would think 90° would feel good if your skin was in the 50s.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:47   #27

I'd hope my skin isn't 50 degrees. I keep my boat's living areas around 70: but my tanks are below the cabin and under the waterline. They're not frozen, so I can assume the water is higher than 32. But the surrounding water can be frozen.
mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 21:38   #28

Boat: Outremer 50S

Tankless heaters tend to be rated this way to make it simple for consumers. The critical part is the BTU output rating and what that will get you. For the smallest Excel unit it will give you 38,000 BTUh. Takes 8.34 BTU to raise a US gallon one degree F. The 6 liter Excel unit will raise 6 liters/minute (~1.6 gallons/min) by 45 degrees F, but it will also raise 3 liters/minute by ~90 degrees F (it's not a perfectly straight line, and will get more inefficient as you try to get more temperature rise). Until you get up to the temperature limits of the unit you can restrict the flow to get a higher temperature.

If you will be using it during the winter a lot, go for the next larger size so you can throttle the flow and still get the quantity you want. Most of the heaters do have a minimum flow needed to operate, but 1/2 flow is generally acceptable, and you shouldn't need more than 90 degree temperature rise since the thing only works on liquid water.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 19:00   #29

Location: Live aboard full time & cruise east coast & Bahamas
Boat: Fountained Pajot, Antigua, 37', Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have used them on two boats. I like them if yu have a good place to mount one. The last unit I got was a great unit and only cost $105. (Eccotemp L5) It was mounted next to the stove, self venting thru the companionway hatch. Really no different than using the cook stove safety wise..... well .... actually it had more safety features than the cook stove.
Can the Eccotemp L5 use a small propane bottle (BBQ grill) or does it have to hard plumbed into the propane system. We only need it for short showers, while we are at anchor for a few days, during the winter months, in the Bahamas. Not looking for a permeant mount, due to venting issues
Kohanadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 08:44   #30

look it up on line, I think It has an adaptor for that. Not sure I like using those small cannisters indoors though. The units are meant for camping , so you can just hang it outside your travel trailer or on a tree etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, water