Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 23:17   #1

Tank Monitor - SeeLevel ?

Looking to add freshwater tank monitor. Leaning towards the Xintex for around $150. However, came across SeeLevel Model 709 SeeLeveL II
It's external sensor and comes with three senders so I could upgrade my holding tank monitor (which is always stuck). $185 sounds pretty good. i must be missing something.
Anyone used SeeLevel? Opinions? Thanks!
alisewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Tank Monitor -- SeeLevel?

Welcome to the forum alisewski.
I had a look at it...it sure seems cheap enough.
I cant see where it says what tank material is appropriate.
I have no experience with this monitor.
Since its on an RV site I would wonder about its use in a marine environment.
It may well be that it can be marinized by you cheaply/easily.
Since it also includes LPG and Bat monitor my impression is it's to cheap to be of high quality...But then it may be that I've been drinking the cool-aid to long.

I'm a Hart Tank Tender fan.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:19   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Her are links to a couple different guys that installed them in their RV's... good write-ups and pictures.
SeaLevel II, Model 709 Tank Monotor System - iRV2 Forums
SeeLevel Guage System in Winnebago - iRV2 Forums

I see lots of references to the model when I search it.
Starting to look interesting.
Maybe us boat folks need to get cozy up to some RV folks and learn a bit about their goodies?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I'm using Xintex level gages and am not happy with the accuracy or response time, especially the latter. The slow response time renders the units ineffective in choppy seas and also means the tank is likely to be overfilled before the Xintex indicator shows it.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, alisewski.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Tank Monitor - SeeLevel ?

With few exceptions, I prefer the concept behind the Hart Tank Tender. which works on air pressure...no amps required. It's not cheap but if you will have, as I will, multiple tanks for fuel, water and waste, and the means and desire to shift it occasionally to correct trim, it's going to be the way to go.

If you are a coastal/casual sailor with one or two water tanks and a single fuel tank, I'm not sure why the old piezo-electric "cork on a coat hanger wire" style would not serve just as well, as generalities (when are we at half-fuel? are we down to 1/4 water?) are of more interest than "we have 29.2 gallons left which should take us to May 15 1/4".

Of course, the simplest way to do this is via an easy-off inspection hatch and a nice graduated stick, but that can be problematic under way or in weather!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34   #7

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Why not monitor all your tanks?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Practical Sailor did a test of tank level monitors a couple of years ago and rated the Scad systems #1, way above any of the others.

Scad is actually just a company that private labels the Profile gauges...check 'em out here: Profile Tank Monitors (they cost less if you buy 'em direct). They offer a single tank system and also a system that monitor up to 8 tanks...senders go on the outside of any material except metal (internal sender for metal tank is encased in a PVC tube, so it never actually comes in contact with tank contents. And Dennis Ferriello provides the best customer service on the planet (which is why Scad gets top marks in PS for customer service...it's Dennis who provides it!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seidelmann 30T

Another option is a monitor from Electrosense. I have the 9-volt battery version on my boat - it doesn't draw any power from the boat at all (I just change the battery once every 12-18 months).

Love that book, Peggie!

chris
chrisferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 09:47   #10

I know this post is a few months old - I too am thinking about a tank monitoring system. From what I can tell, there are 3 different approaches to automated systems.

Hart Tank Tender The Tank Tender - by Hart Systems, Inc. uses plastic tubing to measure the fluid level via air pressure in the tank. This approach requires drilling a small hole in each tank, screwing a threaded adapter/nipple/o-ring into the top of the tank and routing plastic tubing to the gauge. There's a concern about keeping the level of the tubing above the tank, to avoid siphon. I've been told that if using in a holding tank, the tube needs to be cleaned or replaced every 4 years. Prices start at $400.

New Providence Marine / Ferriellosales that measures electrical capacity between 2 aluminum strips attached to the outside of the tank. This only works on plastic or fiberglass tanks. They also have tube inserts for aluminum tanks. Seems like a clever idea and customer support is amazing (I emailed Dennis and received a return phone call 5 minutes later!). Prices start at $140 for single tank and $300 for 8 tank system.

Blue Sea Systems has a monitoring system that uses ultrasound sensors mounted to the top of the tank. These require mounting the sensor. Prices start at $340, with sensors around $70. One of the advantages of this is the system also monitors battery amps consumed.

SensaTank Marine 100. Like the New Providence Marine, this device attaches 4 pads on the outside of the tank. These measure 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full, based on the fluid level. Prices are around $250.

I'm sure there are other models. I believe I read an Practical Sailor article that recommends the New Providence Marine/Ferriello system for single tank and SensaTank Marine 100 for multiple tanks. Everyone seems to love the Hart Tank Tender, though it is more expensive. I'm impressed with the customer support and following that Dennis Ferriello has developed. I'm split because I like the idea of measuring battery usage and feel that the Blue Sea system is more flexible.

My research continues - any thoughts or experiences with any/all of these?
Thanks
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:39   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Maretron N2K ultra-sonic sensors.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:44   #12

Nick,
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Maretron N2K ultra-sonic sensors.
Interesting suggestion, though requires NMEA display, such as Maretron DSM250, at $965. The ultrasound approach would be similar to Blue Sea monitor.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:58   #13

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
I'll second the maretron n2k ultrasonic sensors. You don't have to buy the $1000 unit- I used my laptop with the maretron USB/n2k adapter to configure the unit.

Works great and I can pull up tank screens on the laptop, garmin gmi10 or many other n2k displays
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:59   #14

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Just to be clear though, u will need the USB adapter + software which isn't included...
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 14:26   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seidelmann 30T

The Electrosense holding tank monitors are a more low-tech solution. They can't integrate with NMEA multi-function displays - they're a totally stand-alone monitor. I don't want to violate any forum rules (because I work for Electrosense) so if you want more information you can send me a private message.

Chris Ferro
(Wearing my Electrosense hat now!)
chrisferro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor