Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2022, 04:46   #1
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Submersible sensors -holding tank

Has anyone any experience of using the silicon based submersible sensors in a holding tank. I think the main issue is to keep the sensing joke clear , but maybe a gauze fitting might do

On the face of it it seems ideal

Any one tried it. , my main issue is I have a triangular tank and I don’t want the sensor ending up in the outlet.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Submersible sensors -holding tank

Why not switch to a tank level monitor that uses sensors that go on the outside of the tank? SCAD monitors Scad Tank Monitors are top rated, reasonably priced, and can accommodate any tank shape.

The problem with any internal sensors is, the animal fats in waste coat them and clog them, requiring removal every year or two to clean manually with detergent, water and a scrub brush.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:07   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Why not switch to a tank level monitor that uses sensors that go on the outside of the tank? SCAD monitors Scad Tank Monitors are top rated, reasonably priced, and can accommodate any tank shape.

--Peggie

Thanks! That's better than the ones I found; and here's a source I found https://www.emarineinc.com/SCAD-TM1-TM2-Tank-Monitor

$166 for display and sensor.

BUT I found this: "SCAD internal sensor avaialbe for metal tanks" (sic) so I guess a stainless tank still has to be opened up.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

BUT I found this: "SCAD internal sensor avaialbe for metal tanks" (sic) so I guess a stainless tank still has to be opened up.

It does, but the sensor is enclosed in PVC pipe, preventing tank contents from ever coming in contact with it...so it never has to be cleaned.

However...how old is your metal tank? Steel or aluminum? 'Cuz metal is not recommended for sewage holding...hasn't been since the early '90s 'cuz urine is so corrosive that it typically turns any metal tank, even 316 SS, into a colander within about 10 years, and it doesn't matter whether the toilet uses sea water or fresh. If you haven't had a look at the inside of it, you might want to do that...you're likely to see the start of pinholes all over the bottom of it. If you do, it might be time to start shopping for a new tank.

--Peggie
Old 08-09-2022, 11:04   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:

It does, but the sensor is enclosed in PVC pipe, preventing tank contents from ever coming in contact with it...so it never has to be cleaned.

However...how old is your metal tank? Steel or aluminum? 'Cuz metal is not recommended for sewage holding...hasn't been since the early '90s 'cuz urine is so corrosive that it typically turns any metal tank, even 316 SS, into a colander within about 10 years, and it doesn't matter whether the toilet uses sea water or fresh. If you haven't had a look at the inside of it, you might want to do that...you're likely to see the start of pinholes all over the bottom of it. If you do, it might be time to start shopping for a new tank.

--Peggie

Tank is 1994 stainless. And would be a bear to remove. Thanks for the new problem to inspect, nothing else like another chore on the weekend!
Old 08-09-2022, 12:19   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:

--Peggie

I tried the pvc tube in a metal tank and it never worked properly. They could never find a problem and sent me new ones to try. After 3 attempts to get it to work, I gave up and switched to a WEMA. Been working fine ever since (years).
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 18:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

Same brand?

--Peggie
Old 08-09-2022, 19:10   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Yes, it was from the guy who invented the SCAD and he was selling them on the side. Don't remember his name, but I believe he passed a few years back. (Dennis?)
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:23   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The silicon pressure transducer could be simply mounted in a pvc tube with some gauze at the end , hence solids won’t enter the sensing hole. Not that that matters once the pressure still gets through. The issue for me is that when the tank is empty the extraneous material would dry and harden

The WEMa sensor is an option I can buy a shrouded float sensor for AliExpress, this is the same as WEMA and I drill the top and fit a flushing port.

But these are discontinuous sensors with 4-5 reed switches , I want a continuous level sensor ,so it’s submersible or capacitive , TI have a new capacitive sensor chip out so I might play with that
Old 09-09-2022, 05:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Has anyone any experience of using the silicon based submersible sensors in a holding tank. I think the main issue is to keep the sensing joke clear , but maybe a gauze fitting might do

On the face of it it seems ideal

Any one tried it. , my main issue is I have a triangular tank and I don’t want the sensor ending up in the outlet.
This should work if you can not mount something on the outside of the tank.

Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:50   #11
Marine Service Provider

That would have been Dennis. SCAD did have a private label version of his Profile gauges. Those are no longer in production since Dennis died...If you go to the SCAD website you'll se that it's now a completely different system.

--Peggie

Tags
holding tank, sensor